“Needs Work”

Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
A TripAdvisor Member
“Needs Work”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Got a pretty good price for this downtown hotel but wouldn't stay again. This place needs some work. The pool is closed, no water on it, fitness center is being worked on and need attention. Treadmill didn't work no TV, dumbbells missing. Ice maker on 7th floor not working, in general it need a makeover. We reservation a room for Family Weekend U of D, but will cancel. Oh and our room still had a tube TV. Must be last hotel on the planet without flat screen TV's!

Stayed August 2014
Aaron L, Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for the review. As you noted, we are under renovation and are currently working on several key areas of the hotel. By this time next year we will have a new pool area, better guest accommodations, an abundance of amenities and a much more pleasant experience. Thank you for bearing with us while we make these changes. We hope to see you again once renovations are complete.

Eric Minshall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Burlington, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here one night! The front desk person was very nice and so was the valet guys, but the room was just alright! The bed was comfortable but the bathroom was kid a scrunched, the toilet was in a small space between the wall and sink and the tub was small as well!! Don't know if I will stay again..

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cassie G
Aaron L, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for the review! We appreciate very bit of feedback that we receive from our guests.

I am always pleased to hear that our staff is professional, kind and courteous. I will personally relay your comments to the staff and valet service.

We are working very hard to renovate the rooms. Some of the historical rooms are odd shaped and have unique designs. We hope to address this in some way during renovations.

I personally invite you to stay at the hotel again once renovations are complete. You will find a fresh perspective with many upgrades!

We look forward to seeing you again!

Thank you!

ramstein, germany
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I wanted to let all whom are looking to book this hotel, but are unsure due to the bad reviews, this hotel is fine! We stayed last night, for the annual Celtic Fest. This is our third year running using this hotel for the Fest. It is clean, the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable enough, and I had zero problems with the staff. I will say I have never used the parking garage, as parking on the street is free on the weekends. Which means you can park your car about 10 feet from the front door. As far as the safety of the area..personally, in any metro area I would never walk by myself at night. My kids and I walked downtown all day to and from the hotel. It was fine! Last words..great location, and you cannot beat the price. If you need a more upscale hotel, with options for dining, bars, etc., then go elsewhere. Otherwise, the Grand suits its purpose!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank nikkik44
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are very pleased that you had a pleasant stay at the Dayton Grand.

Your continued patronage and appreciation for the Celtic festival are greatly appreciated. Our hotel is changing for the better every day. During that process we strive to make sure our guests receive the best service we have to offer. We look forward to seeing you again. Please let us know in advance if there is anything we can do to make your stay even better!

Thank you!

Gainesville, Virginia
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I want to begin this review stating that I am originally from Dayton, OH. When I returned and stayed in this hotel I was quite sad in the state the downtown area has become.

Good: The price! I travel quite a bit, so being in the downtown area with this price was outstanding! The view from our window was great! But stay on the side facing Sinclair Community College. You can see quite a bit, mind you we were on the 10th floor.

Not so good: The hotel is old. Furnishings old, smell old, appliances are old. No update since late 90s but they say 2000s.... I'm not quite sure how true that is. Maybe 2000.... but not likely.
I do like how they keep the history of Dayton alive in the hotel. But I'm assuming they could invest in a good remodel but keeping the history the same. A VERY long time ago I'm sure that was the "happening hotel" but not quite sure now. The other bad or I'll say "sad" thing about it is the hotel is across the street from an abandoned high-rise. Years ago when I lived there, that building had businesses, an arcade, stores, shops, restaurants. Now it sits empty, abandoned, boarded up. It is quite sad because I remember how it used to be.

Parking: PLEASE valet. They have it and the cost really isn't that bad. It's probably safer as well.

Free breakfast: Limited continental.

Service: Quite nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor. The view is quite nice facing Sinclair community college.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IslanHopper77
Aaron L, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for taking to time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay. We appreciate the positive feedback you gave us. In regards to the age/condition of the building you are correct. Just to let you know we will be starting to renovate and will be converting to a Double Tree over the next several months. This includes newly remodled guestroom furniture, a full service restaurant, pool area, and lounge. When this renovation process is complete I would like to welcome you back to have the experience that you remember is days past. Once again, thank you for your feedback and have a great week!
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We recently used this hotel when we were married and had many out of town guests coming in. Although they are set for a renovation, the rooms were clean and not outdated. Staff was very friendly and helpful in getting needed items to guests, giving directions, and answering all our questions! The rooms were clean and they were very accommodating for those who needed to check in early. Valet service made parking downtown nice and easy!! I would definitely recommend this again- we have no complaints! Great location, friendly staff, clean hotel- everything we needed!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank LaurenJanelle
Aaron L, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback in regards to the recent stay. We appreciate the kind words you said about out hotel and staff. I'm glad we were able to accommodate you and that your stay was enjoyable. Once again, thank you for your feedback and have a great week!
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Go somewhere else. The photos of this hotel are beautiful, but I promise that these pictures did not come from this hotel. We searched the entire place to find the angle that could've produced them to no avail. Some of the staff were ok, some downright rude and apathetic. They have no amenities, including working AC. We had to be moved to three rooms the first night, and they never did get us a room cooler than 75. It is close to a reasonable part of town, but they are situated in what looks like a war zone. Do yourself a favor. Go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Apparently the 10th and 9th floors have been updated most recently.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Michelle2560
Aaron L, Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback. As we transition this hotel during our renovation we face many challenges. We have worked very hard to provide amenities and additional comforts to our guests. Our AC units are being replaced and several upgrades are on their way. I feel very confident that when we fully transition you will have an outstanding experience at this hotel.

I personally invite you to return after our Grand Opening so that you can see the improvements first hand!

Thank You!!!

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Dayton hotels

St. Louis, MO, USA
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We were there in early June for the UD Reunion weekend. This hotel is just kind of old. Almost all the amenities were closed for remodeling, but I didn't see any work actually being done. The rooms were OK, but the furniture was old. Basically, it's an OK place, but nothing special. Some other reviews were very negative, but overall there were some positives: it's right in downtown Dayton, right next to the "square", so if you are looking for a centrally located hotel you might want to try it. The rooms were clean, we had no problems with hot water or anything. The front desk people were friendly. They have a free "continental breakfast" which we walked into, but didn't eat there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank zgiant1
Aaron L, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback in regards to the recent stay. You are correct about the aging of the building as well as the limited amenities we currently have. I'm glad our service and location were both to your liking. We will be undergoing a complete renovation by summer's end, converting to a Doubletree. As part of this renovation we will have new furniture in guest rooms, a full service restaurant and lounge as well as a newly remodled pool/fitness area. When you stay with us after this renovation process you should be able to have a much more complete or "Grand" experience. Once again, thank you for the feedback and have a great week!