“In desperate need of an renovation!!!”

Courtyard Dayton North
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Alexandria, Virginia
“In desperate need of an renovation!!!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Definitely not what I expected for a Marriott property. The only thing that was updated in this hotel was the lobby. When I walked in my room I could have sworn I stepped back into the nineties. The decor was very aged. The bedding was tacky. There was a bad odor that was possibly from the carpeting. I really didn't want to sit my luggage down. There was one slow elevator. No complimentary breakfast, but luckily Cracker Barrel was in walking distance. The staff were very polite and welcoming. . . The rooms were not. I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless it was your last resort.

• Stayed July 2014
Smith D, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton North, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for your review. We are looking forward to a room update hopefully within the next few months. I am sure that will certainly make the guest experience more enjoyable! We hope to see you again in the future and hope that by then we will have received our update!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just a one night stay on our way home. Nice, clean, big comfy beds, big bathroom, free wifi, breakfast, pool & hot tub! Fast check in, great location with so many restaurants nearby, some so close you could walk! Excellent rate too! Our room on the main floor had a patio also! I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Main floor near the pool & breakfast! If you want quiet, ask for a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate the good review and I am pleased your stay was a pleasant one. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed at this property the weekend of the Dayton Air Show, so most of the hotels were booked in the area, including the one we normally stay at. Having said that, when travelling to Dallas, we usually stay at a Courtyard, so when it came time to make our reservation, we really didn't think twice about the property. Courtyard: It's good, right? Well, most of the time.

We arrived around 4pm and the front desk staff were helpful and friendly enough, no complaints there. One thing I noticed off the bat was the lack of an automatic door at the entrance, making bag carrying a pain, but oh well. The lobby is modern and obviously freshly renovated. There is a market and the hotel "restaurant" The Bistro. More on that in a few.

After check in, we head to our $145 room (this price is normal at this property, regardless of the airshow) and upon opening the door immediately thought W.T.F. I've stayed at Motel 6's with bigger (and nicer) rooms! For about $150, you get a bed, a newish tv, a wall a/c unit and a patio. The patio is great, especially in the morning when you can sit outside and smoke and enjoy the nice early summer breeze. But I digress. There isn't a fridge or a microwave, and the bathroom is slightly larger than my closet at home.

The bed was comfortable, albeit difficult to keep made. I know I toss and turn a lot during my sleep, but every morning, I woke up and the fitted sheet was somewhere in the massive pile of bedding that somehow ended up forming at the foot of the bed. Oh, and for some reason, the mattress kept scooting off the side of the box springs.

My biggest complaint about this property, however, are the paper thin walls. Remember I said the Air Show was in town? Well, this property was pretty full too. Our room is an adjoining room, meaning there is a door between the rooms to make one large room for family types. Of course, we didn't need the door as the room next door was taken by another, shall we say, village. Every night you could hear them all laughing and carrying on. This would start around 9 and end sometime in the wee hours of the morning (after 3 am i can tell you with certainty.)

The room door itself is lets lots of noise through. Both nights of our stay we had noise issues out in the hall...I mean to the level of what you would expect if your door was outside and the interstate was a few yards out. The staff was quick to respond to the noise complaint we filed on the second night (give them the benefit of the doubt), but shortly after the staff member left, the noise returned as the people in our room and the rooms immediately surrounding us who were all related, came back out and started talking and having a good time. So it goes without saying that sleep was elusive.

The wifi has ok speed (3MB/s on a test), but nothing thuat can run Netflix or anything. Roku and like devices won't work here because some IT genius figured it would be cute to make you click "I AGREE" whenever you connect. Perhaps they should just put that agreement into your checkin paperwork instead? Anyway, the signal is strong and doesn't go out, so that is a plus.

Breakfast. The Bistro. Ugh. First, I love hotels that have restaurants inside. It makes travel so much simpler. I expect to pay a little more for this convenience, but not a lot more as I don't like being gouged. Our room came with breakfast both days, so on the first day we went down to the Bistro to see what breakfast was about. MOST hotels at this price point have a buffet or something similar. Not here. Here, you had a very limited choice of items you could have as part of your package, and all of them were extremely over priced. For example. For $10.99 you can get reconstituted scrambled eggs, frozen sausage patties, "fried" potatoes, and toast all prepared by the lovely Chef Mike (that's a microwave for the rest of you). Total price to go to McDonalds and THE EXACT SAME THING PLUS PANCAKES: $4. And MCDonalds tastes 100x better too. The only bright spot about The Bistro was the staff member. She was cheerful (almost annoyingly so) and helpful and knew her stuff.

In the end, I highly doubt I will return to this Courtyard anytime soon. Again, there are 20 hotels within spitting distance to the Courtyard many at the same price point that offer many more amenities, thicker walls and a real breakfast. I understand, by reading through other reviews, that room renovations are forthcoming. Be that as it may, unless they are significant and the room rate doesn't rise to match, I just can't justify paying the money for something I can get more across the street.

Room Tip: Any room with a patio is worth it. Our room had a tree blocking the view of the next hotel over, so...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank dietrichmd
Smith D, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton North, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
First and foremost, thank you so much for staying with us and for your comments and suggestions. I apologize that your stay was not problem free as deserve. We do strive to make every guests' stay an enjoyable one and unfortunately we did not meet your, or our, expectations. I understand that many guests prefer a buffet style breakfast, but the Courtyard brand has made the change to the Bistro for your dining experience.

We again thank you for staying with us and we wish you continued safe travels!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This courtyard is located in an area with many other hotels and restaurants. As such I was expecting it to be a little better. There was nothing specifically wrong, the lobby is nice and we were greeted pleasantly. The room was a little run down but not bad, a pretty typical layout with the bathroom just inside the door. I didn't like the placement of the TV being perpendicular to the bed made it inconvenient to watch from bed. The couch was well worn and not very comfortable. The biggest issue for me was the AC cycling every 2-3 minutes all night and it is loud even on the lowest setting. If there were an option to set the fan to on so you didn't have the on off, on off all night I would have slept much better. Breakfast was good. Freshly prepared and served to the table, that is a nice way to start the day.

I have been to this area several times over the last year. I normally stay at the residence inn next door but they didn't have availability. The courtyard was the same price and had a better breakfast but the residence has much nicer rooms and I sleep much better there.

I can’t say I wouldn't stay here again but I think if the residence is not available next time I will try one of the other 6-8 hotels in this specific area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Smith D, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton North, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
We appreciate your comments as we do rely on them to make improvements where needed. Thanks! We hope to see you again soon and in the meantime we wish you continued safe travels.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We always loved staying at the Marriot Courtyard in Dayton Ohio, that is until now' We paid such a over the top rate over $300 for 2 nights I think they have let this Hotel go down, Most hotel offer FREE breakfast You would think that much money there would be breakfast Oh!NO! there wasn't any at all, and the room smell of smoke. I think I will be staying with the Hilton from now or Hampton. I do know the rooms are GREAT!! and clean and there is breakfast, I am so DISAPPOINTED this use to be my favorite Hotel..sooo Disappointed

Room Tip: I am so Disappointed I can't tell
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Smith D, Manager at Courtyard Dayton North, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
I am sorry that you were disappointed in your stay. All of our rooms are non smoking but sometimes guests do not follow the rules. Your review does not indicate if you notified us of the problem. We do everything within our power to resolve guests' issues, once notified, such as, if possible, moving guests' to another room. If no other rooms would be available we will have a staff member come to the room and try and resolve the issues with some of the fresheners we have. Our rates, of course, are based on availability and with limited availability you may see a higher rate. Also, for future information, Courtyards do not offer a complimentary breakfast. You can usually choose to opt for a "breakfast included" rate that will save you money. We do thank you for staying with us and we wish you continued safe travels.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed here before an early flight and it worked out OK.

The location is very close to the airport. It is right off the highway and there are a dozen or so chain restaurants within walking distance as well as a Walmart, Sam's, and other retail giants. A very utilitarian location- not necessarily interesting or fun.

The lobby is awesome- it looks like it was just redone and is on par with the nicest of Courtyards across the country. This applies to the fitness center as well. No complaints- everything worked well.

The rooms however, are another story. They are very outdated. Honestly, they felt like an older Fairfield. The noise level was pretty intense too. I usually combat this very easily with the bathroom fan, but that sounded absolutely awful (it must be broken- room 409). The cleanliness of the room wasn't perfect either.

The staff was excellent. I interacted with two people at the front desk and someone on the cleaning crew and all three were awesome.

In any event, it was a decent stay for the price, but is very below average for the Courtyard brand.

Room Tip: I'd try to be as far on the West side of the hotel as possible- that is the side away from Inter...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Smith D, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton North, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for responding to Trip Advisor on your stay at the hotel in Dayton. It is our hope that there will be room upgrade in the near future. We are waiting from ownership to release funds. I am glad that you were pleased with the staff as we can control that at the property level. We hope that whn you travel to Dayton you will stay with us again.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Solid choice for a stay in Dayton, Ohio. Nothing fancy, but what do you expect. Clean room and bathroom. Good parking. Easy to find off I-70. Nice staff. Decent little pool and breakfast area. Saved us our room even though we arrived after 2 AM on a night when every room in town was sold out!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again in the future! Safe travels!