“An astonishing number of things broken”

Travelodge - Dayton
Ranked #34 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Berkeley, California
“An astonishing number of things broken”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is the Travelodge at 7575 Poe, "Dayton" . It's actually Vandalia, and if you don't tell your GPS Vandalia, it probably will go to the wrong place. My Garmin did.

I got a $40/night rate during Hamvention weekennd (it's the largest event in Dayton) by booking close to a year in advance, so I guess I got what I paid for. But I am leaving this review mainly to give a wake-up call to the management.

I stayed in Room 237. I suspect this particular room stands empty for most of the year and is only sold when the venue is fully booked (which might only be hamvention weekend - I have no idea). There were a lot of things broken.

The door has obviously been forced. It's bent around the lock, and the lock is falling out. Screws are showing and there is a half-inch gap between the top of the lock on the inside and the door. There is also a gap on the outside of the lock. The frame of the door is broken and one corner has a 1-inch separation on the outside. I did tell the desk about this, and I overhead the desk person calling it in to someone, but nothing was done.

The safe's battery is dead and it doesn't work. The safe is maintained by an outside company and the desk person said they could not expect them there this week. It's probably just a battery and I suspect the staff could have dealt with it.

Obviously I could not leave anything of value in the room.

The lamp over the sink was slow to start (10 minutes the first time I tried). I think someone changed the flourescent tubes after I'd been here for three days.

The telephone has a broken modular connector where the cord meets the handset and the cord falls out of the handset when you pick up the phone.

The phone system won't make an outgoing call to my home even when I hold the cord in the handset.

There were no wastebaskets in the room. They did address this issue promptly when I gave the front desk a list of problems in the room.

The one washing machine on the premises had a jammed coin rejector and would not work. There was an obvious spot for washing machines on the second floor that had no machines.

Not the motel's fault but the cell service here is very poor, at least for the T-Mobile resller I use (PlatinumTel) and I had to stand by the window to make it work.

I haven't turned on the TV. I'll let someone else see if that's broken :-)

It's the Sunday after Hamvention weekend and there don't appear to be more than three cars in the parking lot at 11 PM, maybe one belongs to the staff. Perhaps this place just isn't making it financially. I think this Travelodge and the attached Knnight's Inn recently moved from a location across the highway that now stands empty, and there are at least three defunct motel properties standing empty within a mile of here. I can't blame the owners if they just don't have the money to fix a room that they hardly ever book.. But nor can I recommend staying here. - Bruce

Room Tip: Stay away from 237!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bruce P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Hamilton, Ohio
Reviewed 16 May 2014

REALLY bad idea to have the pop machine at one end of a long hall, and the ice machine at the other. I'd reserved a queen and was upgraded to a king, at no extra charge since I'd already paid in advance. Mapquest made it hard to find; their instructions were to get off one road and then "proceed to Poe Ave." so it was very vague and I got lost. Bed was so-so as far as comfort but I did like the pillows. There were spots on the bathroom wallpaper that resembled mold.

Room Tip: Request a non-smoking room at the far end of the hallway leading from the front desk. Despite a hand...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank WickiWacki
Buckley, Michigan
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here on April 25th/26th, it was our worst experience ever! The carpet in the room and halls were filthy and looked like they haven't been vacuumed in years. Fingerprints on the glass pictures on the wall, blanket on bed had 8 or 9 big stains on them and the two chairs we couldn't sit in them, the wood frames were unstable and the cushions filthy. The room had a really bad smell. I called to request a different blanket and they said they would send housekeeping up. We waited and no one came so my husband went down to the desk to request a clean one. He also told the lady at the desk that the carpet was filthy and looked liked it hadn't been vacuumed in a very long time and that the chairs were unstable. Her response was that this was an old building. My husband said " I'm old but I keep myself clean". Finally housekeeping brought another blanket. We had been driving all day and decided to stay because my husband was to tired to drive anymore. He slept but I stayed up all night watching people come in and out of the unsecured back door all came and went in a matter of minutes. Did not feel safe seeing the activity that was going on with people coming and going but let my husband sleep because I did not want to leave the building at 1-4 in the morning when the back door was unsecured. When my husband awoke we got ready to leave and that's when I spotted 2 Bedbugs crawling in the bed! We left there at 5:00am by the back door which was still open. This place should be shutdown, very unsafe and filthy!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joan R
Redford, Mi
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed 5/3 - 5/4. Attending Univ Dayton commencement cermonies. Beds were bouncy. Bedspread had a huge cigarette burn. Bath towels were thin as paper. There were some guest in the hall thinking they were in their home and not in a place shared by 100 other guests. The noise affected my sleep. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank Josiered119
Dayton
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The property was not kept up.Inside and outside lack of general cleanliness halls. Room 126 was clean but this non smoking room was too close to smoking rooms. Towels very unclean odor. Noise
level from rooms and halls not good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I loved evrything here. The staff was not only friendly but so courteous,Brenda and Amanda ROCK! I liked that i didnt have to deal with room service knocking every morning but when i needed things i just had to ask.i highly recommend staying here! The price is more than reasonable and they have breakfast. I plan on staying here every trip <3

• Stayed March 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dayton
Red Roof Inn Dayton North Airport
Airport Inn & Parking Vandalia / Dayton International Airport
WoodSpring Suites Dayton South
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#21 of 45 in Dayton
Extended Stay America - Dayton - South

Been to Travelodge - Dayton? Share your experiences!