“Nice property but customer service needs help”

Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
“Nice property but customer service needs help”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

The property was very nice, clean, and updated. Definately had the Marriott feel I enjoy no matter which property I stay at.

The customer service was lacking in a huge way. The woman working the front desk was very slow. She didnt seem to know what she was doing. She was talking to the computer saying things like "oh come on" "what are you doing" "I already pressed that button" regardless if she was having legitimate computer issues or not she shouldnt make it apparent to the guest in front of her.

After check in I went to the room to freshen up and stopped by the front desk again and asked if she would call a cab for me. After about 30 minutes a 1990's worn out former police cruiser shows up but it did not have a taxi top light. The driver identified himself as being there for us so we get in the car and i noticed there was no meter. So I asked the driver about both the lack of top light and meter, he stated that he was not a cab but a private car service and he doesnt charge by a meter he just charges by the destination with a $15 minimum.

So at this point in my evening the woman at the front desk is completely incompetent in my eyes. If I ask for a cab you call a cab and if I were wanting a private car service I would be extremely dissatisified if a 1990's worn out police cruiser showed up. That is not by any stretch of the imagination the kind of private car a hotel should be calling for a guest.

On my way back to the hotel I got in an actual cab and the trip only cost $6 on an the cab meter...I paid $15 for the trip earlier that night in the "private car". So if a guest asks for a cab you should call an actual cab!

Lastly on the customer service front; when I came back to the hotel around 2am the man working the front desk was very grumpy and I dont think he even knew what a smile was. I purchased something from the market and he was not welcoming, friendly, or providing any acceptable form of customer service that I expect from someone representing the marriott brand.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Greg M,
Thank you for writing and bringing these concerns to my attention. I sincerely apologize for the service failures you experienced and any miscommunication regarding the car service. Please be assured that your review has been addressed with our staff and improvements will be made in order to prevent such occurrences in the future. We value you as our guest and hope you'll give us another opportunity to provide the exceptional service you have come to expect and deserve. Thank you again for your feedback.

Garry Kirkland, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Reasonable rates and clean. Great for UofD proximity, otherwise rather spare. Room service food almost not edible. Definitely need a car as it is not close to anything. Very limited concessions/papers at front desk. Bar restaurant okay, many sports TVs but can find a quiet spot for talking.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Lsbrandon,
Thank you for your feedback. We strive to exceed guest expectations and we are very sorry for falling short of this goal. Your feedback provides many areas we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We're glad you found our level of cleanliness and close proximity to University of Dayton to meet your satisfaction and we hope you'll return for another visit in the future. Thank you again.

Eureka, Missouri
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We are very picky about cleanliness and this hotel met my expectations. The fitness center machines were good and I always had one. We didn't eat there, but the food looked good. It was convenient and the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
62cdparmer,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to Courtyard Dayton - University of Dayton. It is fantastic to hear that the cleanliness, service, and convenience you experienced at our hotel met your expectations. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and we hope you'll return for another visit in the future. Thank you again.

Kind regards,
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Recently stayed at this hotel for business and no real complaints. Rooms and halls were clean, staff was friendly. The hotel is right across the road from the Dayton Arena so if you're coming to Dayton for something related to the arena, this would be an excellent place to stay. Hotel is conveniently located right off I-75. Indoor pool and sauna, small exercise room with 2 treadmills, elliptical, bike, and some barbells. There aren't any restaurants or bars within walking distance, but they do have a restaurant on site, although I didn't try it. I needed a late checkout on a Friday and they were able to accommodate me leaving an hour later (1:00PM).

Only possible complaint was noise from the next door room. I'm not sure if the walls are thin or they were just especially loud.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face behind the hotel and look out over a river. It doesn't add much in the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank msk2122
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
msk2122,
Thank you for choosing Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton on your recent business trip. We appreciate your compliments regarding our property and service, and we hope you'll visit us again in the future. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

On a snowy winter night, the hotel couldn't have been more helpful. I was traveling with a team of 14 college students on an almost-shoestring budget. Normally, we just go out for pizza (one of the cheapest meals for a large group like this), but the snow made this impossible. Instead, the hotel staff let us take over their lobby/bar area, have pizza delivered, and even supplied us with plates, napkins and utensils - all despite having a (more expensive) restaurant in the hotel. I am not recommending you take advantage of this hotel staff and do whatever you want, but I am saying that the folks there that night were understanding of the weather restrictions on our group and accommodated our needs in the most welcoming way. On top of this, the hotel bar/restaurant was understaffed on a particularly busy night - as most no one was leaving the hotel for dinner. Everyone worked hard with a smile on their face. I couldn't have imagined a more friendly staff. Although the rates are a bit pricier for our budget, the location was great (super close to the university), and the staff was amazing. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Nicole J,
We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, and we thank you for writing a review. I'm pleased to hear you and your group felt well taken care of by our staff during your stay and found their excellence in service to exceed your expectations. We look forward to extending our hospitality to you and your group again in the future. Thank you again for writing.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Very conveniently located to University of Dayton, quick efficient check in/check out, staff very accomodating and friendly. Room very spacious, beds very comfortable. Property is spotless. Will definitely be staying here when visiting daughter at the University of Dayton for the next four years.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Beth S
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Beth S,
Thank you for writing a review from your experience at Courtyard Dayton. We’re glad you enjoyed a comfortable stay and found our close proximity to University of Dayton to add convenience to your visit. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to having you as our guest on your next trip to see your daughter. Thank you once again for writing.

Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Used this hotel while in town for the AF Marathon. It was clean and safe etc but what irked me was requesting to check out a little late as I had some work to do on my laptop and they would not facilitate. Happen to talk to the cleaner by chance who told me that the hotel was pretty much empty on Sundays. Also note, breakfast is not included I spent like $10 on a bowl of fruit and a Yogurt. Best experience here was standing outside and a racoom popped his head out of the trash can :-)

The hotel was in the middle of nowhere, unless you have a specific reason for this location, i'd go elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
BARREDIE,
Thank you for writing. I'm sorry we were unable to accommodate your late check out request, and I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced as a result. We value you as our guest and will take your comments into consideration for improving our guest experience. We do hope you'll consider visiting us again in the future. Thank you again.