“Nice Place to Stay”

Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Nice Place to Stay”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was a nice hotel in good location. The room was great, and overall a very nice hotel. The restaurant/bar was abandon, but probably because it was a Sunday night. Only a few miles to other places to dine. Very convenient to 75.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear JACoppo,

Our associates understand and believe that our valued guests deserve an exceptional stay and we will continue to push daily to find new ways to WOW our guests. I will be sure to share your very nice comments with our team; they work hard to ensure guests have a pleasant stay. I appreciate you taking the time to write a review and we hope to see you again.

Garry Kirkland, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
Pompano Beach, Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2014

1st of all I was on the road all night, when I arrived with my family I understood that we couldn't check in until 3pm. I spoke with the front desk lady (Seda) she listened and immediately called housekeeping! She allowed us to check in 30 minutes later! The room was clean and spacious, bathroom was very clean ( housekeeping was very good ). Later that evening I went to the bar, the bartender (Mercedes) was very good drink maker and had excellent conversation for me and the other patrons who wander in and out of the lobby area! They had a family reunion, people there for a wedding and the regular travelers like myself. The service and attention to detail never slipped as the phone was ringing, people asking questions, and checking in! Service was excellent! Last but not least the restaurant, the food was great, service on par with the rest of the staff! Excellent hotel! Me and my family will definitely stay again! Kudos to a truly great staff and smooth operating hotel! Excellent!

Room Tip: All of them seem to be good.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sean f
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Sean F,

It’s wonderful to know you enjoyed our comfortable hotel and friendly associates. We appreciate you sharing your kind review with us and other travelers. I look forward to sharing your feedback with Seda and Mercedes. Our team strives to be your hotel of choice when in the University of Dayton area.

Kind Regards,
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Location is convenient to UD and Miami Valley hospital. I stayed here while visiting my son at UD. The room was nice and comfortable, one of a few with a balcony. I was next to the elevator and was nervous about the noise, but it was really fine. The front desk staff was friendly. The hostess at breakfast in the morning was preoccupied, we had to ask for coffee and water and were not offered refills, the bacon, sausage and potatoes were luke warm, some of the fruit was gone and not refilled, and my omelette tasted like grease. Very disappointing for a breakfast I had to pay for. I expect better from a Marriott hotel, that is why I chose to stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank sridgemom
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write. It is through your valuable feedback that we can monitor and improve our guest experience. My sincere apologies you found breakfast disappointing. I appreciate you acknowledging our friendly staff and clean quiet and comfortable rooms. We desire another opportunity to host you again.

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I made reservations by phone on 6/28/14 for a stay beginning 7/24/14. I called the hotel directly, but the call was transferred to parts unknown. To get a discount, I agreed to a non-refundable deal. They took my credit card info, my phone number, and email address, saying that my confirmation number would come by email. Several days later, it had not arrived.
I went to the hotel personally to determine if my reservation had been made. I was told they had nothing. They tried to say that I probably had made reservations at another Courtyard, or another Marriott. I assured them that I had not even called any other hotel. They called (or said they did) every Courtyard in Dayton, and none had a reservation in my name. I made a new reservation at a much higher price.
I went home and looked at the call log on my phone which revealed that I had called their hotel. I looked on-line and saw that my credit card had been charged for a 3-night stay at Courtyard by Marriott in Dayton. I took my phone and computer to the hotel and displayed the information to them. They were unimpressed.
They said that the charge could have originated at any Courtyard in Dayton even though all the others denied having a reservation for me. They said because they did not have record of a reservation for me, there was nothing they could do. This position was taken by the lobby staff, the assistant manager, and the manager.
They suggested I call my credit card company to see if I could get further information from them to identify the source of the charges. The company gave them two codes, neither of which was satisfactory to the hotel.. They wanted a MARSHA code which my card company had never heard of.
They finally told me to dispute the non-refundable charges through the credit card company. I have done so. I also called Marriott's corporate Customer Care Center which told me the same thing.
Throughout, the staff at this hotel was not interested in problem-solving. Nor was the corporate office. The staff was smug, and seemed only interested in "winning." They said nothing could be done despite the clear evidence that I had paid money for nothing.
I don't think the management at this hotel would have the will to deal effectively with any problems or complaints of their guests. (There would be nothing they could do.) They certainly had no interest in mine.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dan B
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Dan B,

We sincerely apologize for the frustration you experienced during your stay. It seems there may have been a mix up in the last name on the reservation. I am very sorry that this happened to you and please know your loyalty is important to us. I am at your service if you would like to discuss further.

Garry Kirkland, General Manager
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Nice quiet neighborhood near U of Dayton. Very clean and had an excellent pool and hot tub. The biggest surprise was the restaurant.... Not the typical Courtyard Bistro but a regular sit down restaurant. Kudos to the Chef. Freshly prepared gourmet style food. We will be back again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Mary-Jo M,

Thank you for sharing your kind review with us and other travelers. It’s nice to know you enjoyed our clean rooms, pool and hot tub in addition to our restaurant. It’s encouraging to hear that our hard work is affecting the guest experience. I look forward to sharing your kind comments with our chef! Thank you taking the time to write.

Lancaster, Ohio
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Was attending a wedding over the weekend & chose this hotel because the bride & groom blocked some rooms. Very friendly staff. Nice hotel. BUT way to expensive at $180 per night! No comp breakfast. Would highly suggest driving just a few more miles for Hampton or HIE. There are several better choices pretty close by. This hotel must be able to charge these rates due to UD so close. Would expect prices higher for football weekends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. While I’m sorry to hear you found our hotel expensive, I am thrilled to know you enjoyed your stay. I’m glad you were able to enjoy our nice hotel and friendly staff while attending a wedding. Your feedback is important to us; it allows us to positively impact future guest experiences.

Elyria, Ohio
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed here because it was near to the Hospital where my grand daughter had just been born. I was very disappointed in this hotel because it does not offer any courtesies such as senior citizen discounts and AAA discount. If they do, their staff at the desk told us otherwise. There is a notice of when breakfast is served, however it is not complimentary. So, So, many wonderful hotels offer complimentary breakfast now days that this was quite a shock-- especially at 179.00 a night. There was a couple with an online itinerary printed out which stated this hotel DID OFFER a complimentary breakfast, but even with this paper they were DENIED THE BREAKFAST. Even with this hotel being brand new-- the rooms were nothing special or out of the ordinary. It did not feel like home the way so many other hotels do. I will make a point to scout out Best Western, Hampton, and Holiday Inn next time I need a hotel. I LIKE my free morning paper, a 24hr coffee bar or fruit bowls in the lobby, and a breakfast greeting me in the morning!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for writing. I am very sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience and sincerely apologize for the areas we fell short of meeting your expectations. The Courtyard brand has been designed to offer an a la carte breakfasts in a bistro-style concept in order to provide a wider range of options and healthier selections. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to impact future guest experiences.