“We prefer the concept, gourmet; our assessment is the tariff is appropriate for the fare.”
Review of Dewey's Pizza

Dewey's Pizza
Ranked #8 of 775 Restaurants in Dayton
Price range: US$5 - US$23
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We have been skeptics all of our life! And we totally comprehend that perhaps University of Dayton students might not have life experiences to “rave” about a pizza restaurant.

However, after reading TripAdvisor for nearly all major U.S. cities, we admit that perhaps the University of Dayton students and other dining clientele may be on to something in rating Dewey’s as Dayton’s Number one restaurant. Dewey’s is gourmet pizza, and not fine dining.

Some younger folks use the term “fancy” and "expensive." Let’s translate: We prefer the concept, gourmet; our assessment is the tariff is appropriate for the fare.

Dewey’s Pizza is about three quarters of a mile north of the Pine Club on Brown Street; drive north of Stewart and west on Jasper and the large “D” will appear. Do not park on the street, because there are two large parking lots near Dewey’s Pizza.

Dewey’s Pizza does offer take out; however, the actual restaurant is much nicer than the Pine Club. Dewey’s Pizza has a wall of windows and other windows. Dewey’s Pizza tables and booths are very nice. Yes, expect University of Dayton students. I hold a University of Dayton degree, and my son holds two University of Dayton degrees; and we like University of Dayton students. Dewey’s Pizza is very family friendly, student friendly, adult friendly, and boomer friendly.

The barkeep is a "Wikipedia of brews," and Dewey’s Pizza offers a great selection of craft brews. According to the "Wikipedia" barkeep, the single greatest sales night for pizza is the night prior to Thanksgiving, and that is the night we visit. (We kinda thought it might be Super Bowl night.) I check pizza.com/fun-facts and learn the following: "the top 5 pizza sales days are: Super Bowl Sunday, New Year's Eve, Halloween, The night before Thanksgiving, & New Year's Day." Guess I am right and the "Wikipedia" barkeep was almost right! Who knew?

Do not expect the standard Dominoes pizza fare at Dewey’s Pizza. OK, there is pizza for the kids; however, the adults order the gourmet pizza. We find a review that states: “world’s best pizza” informs us of nothing!

First, do expect a New York style pizza with a great chewy crust; we hate the “cracker crust.” Comprehend that as individuals we all have different tastes, preferences, and finances.

The Wild Mushroom is great, the Killer Veggie is great, the Hawaiian is terrible (wherever,) Edgar Allen Poe is great, SW BBQ is horrid; anyway, read the on-line menu and the best pizza is “create your own!”

Pizza is by definition is subjective. I prefer a great Chicago Pizza (in Chicago,) and my wife always prefers a Sicilian pizza.

Yes, we concur with "10,000+ Dayton reviewers" that Dewey’s Pizza is the best in Dayton. Centerville and Washington Township really made an unpardonable mistake by not permitting Dewey’s Pizza to come to the south suburbs. Wonder if any of the decision-makes ever dined on Dewey’s Pizza. The citizens should demand a plebiscite on bringing Dewey’s Pizza to town!

7  Thank SavantIII_11

Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is the best pizza place in the town. Amazing service and lots many choices. My Girlfriend is allergic to onions and garlics, and they made everything fresh for her pizza. We go there often and are never disappointment.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

This was our first time here and loved it. The dayton location is near the university, so it might have a college feel to it but it is definitely family friendly. We went on a Friday night around 6pm and waited about 20 minutes. There is a bar and tv there for you to pass the time, and you can watch the pizza markers threw a window which entertains the children, and myself. I tried their seasonal pork fig pizza and it blew my mind. Now, I try to control myself when I eat, but I couldn't help myself here. It is a bit pricey here for pizza standards, but this is not donatos, its gourmet pizza and it’s worth it.

Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Had a Socrates and Edger Allen Poe.. Most awesome pizza! Superb service!!! Can't wait to go back !!!! Worth the trip from Greenville to Dayton

Reviewed 23 October 2013

My first visit, won't be our last. We were visiting our son in college and had heard about Dewey's and that they had great pizza. We weren't disappointed. Excellent value and service was exceptional