“Garbage overflowing outside - breakfast served late”

Best Western Plus Dayton South
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
North Olmsted OH
“Garbage overflowing outside - breakfast served late”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The room and inside was very nicely decorated. The room was nice, but when we went outside the garbage can was overflowing with garbage. This should have been taken care of way before guests wake up. Garbage around the plants outside. Breakfast not served until 7am, so if you want to be on the road by 7am, forget breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Best W, Manager at Best Western Plus Dayton South, responded to this review, 20 November 2015
Dear Barbara,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 9372910284.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
North Carolina
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We normally stay at Best Western when possible, and this Best Western didn't disappoint. It wasn't hard to find and was quiet, we had no trouble with noise levels at all. The view of the sunset from our room was awesome.

Our room was very clean, plenty of room, loved the shelving under the bathroom sink. The staff was very helpful, two I remember are Anthony and Cassidy. My understanding is the hotel has undergone extensive remodeling, and is vastly improved over the previous hotel chain. I believe this hotel has the potential to become a good quality Plus hotel, it takes time. We would stay here again, and would recommend it to others.

Our main purpose was to visit the Air Force Museum. This hotel was about 20 minutes away (road construction), and priced much better than others closer. The location is close to a variety of stores including Wal-Mart, Target, and a mall.

Since it wasn't that far, we drove down to Cincinnati, then into Kentucky one afternoon to see the scenery. Having some extra time, we drove to Indiana another day, saw the train depot at Centerville, then on to Metamora (the Canal Town) and Grist Mill there. It was a nice drive seeing the countryside.

To address other reviewers issues...security is important...our door had a dead bolt and a chain which a room card wouldn't have opened. Reservation mix-ups happen occasionally, but we didn't experience this in the four nights we stayed. We also had no problem with the shower water temperature, and the cleaning staff was there in the mornings.

The breakfast was average. One of the days there was sausage gravy and biscuits available, my husband's favorite. Sausage, eggs, and cheese eggs were good on other days. There were bagels, mini-muffins, danish, waffle, cereal, etc., available as well.

Room Tip: Our room was on the back side of the hotel, so we parked our truck where we could see it. The view...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank math48teach
GeneralManager36159, Manager at Best Western Plus Dayton South, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 9372910284.

Veronica Snell
Assistant Manager
BEST WESTERN PLUS Dayton South
West Union, Ohio
Reviewed 25 May 2013

First, the housekeeping staff was FANTASTIC! Second, the hotel has some serious room and security issues. My first room turned out to be already been booked on the 3rd floor. I was given a second room on the 4th floor. Between housekeeping and Anthony I would have really been ticked off. HOWEVER, 17MAY13 while I was in bed in the 10pm hour someone opened up the door to my room. I then received a call stating that I was not a registered guest. Saturday morning I asked what happened. They said the computer system went down. Oh, and this affects the security as well? Then on Sunday while checking out I asked again and was told that one of the clerks screwed up the paperwork. Which story is it? I was told that no one knows anything about the door opening incident which that is a lie because the person who had the key to my room ...they know who it is because those key cards tell who it is issued to and how many times that the door has been opened by that key and when. If I wasn't there I could have been robbed or even with being there I could have been assaulted or worse. I am concealed carry and what had happened equates to a "home invasion" in my book. I could have shot someone for entering my room without permission!!!!! I am still very seriously considering on filing a police report of the incident. Oh, when I came back to the hotel from the convention around 6pm or so my room wasn't cleaned up. Housekeeping was still on the floor and they fell over themselves to get it taken care of. I commend to those two ladies and I even tipped them-- which many travelers seem to forget to do. YOUR SECURITY SUCKS!

Room Tip: Don't book your room here unless you want to be awakened by a stranger opening up your door.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank KD8QGA
Dear Charles Ballard,

Veronica Snell
Assistant Manager
BEST WESTERN PLUS Dayton South
Michigan
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I'm not sure of the cost as my son paid, but the hotel was just average. We had adjoining rooms. They were small. Two beds and a small desk and chair and a sitting chair with ottoman. It looked like it was recently updated. Fresh paint, etc. We stayed 2 nights. The cleaning crew didn't come until evening and then only cleaned one of the rooms. The second room was just given fresh towels and a clean trash bag in the trash can. Not sure why. The breakfast was ok. We stayed over the weekend and it seemed like they put out the bare minimum of food and hoped you didn't notice. They offered cheese eggs, sausage, waffles, a few bagels, 3 containers of yogurt were in the fridge, 1 apple in the fruit bowl, a few mini muffins, coffee and juice. When someone asked about the fruit, they were told they were out. Since they had been out the day before, I was disappointed that someone had not gone and bought more. They knew they had guests! Anyway, it was ok, but not great.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank grammy1
Best W, Manager at Best Western Plus Dayton South, responded to this review, 25 May 2016

Toronto
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Although this hotel is about 15-20 minutes away from the US Air Force Museum, it is a very good value and the accomodations are really quite good. Veronica Snell, the manager on duty when we checked in and out, was warm, happy, and very personable. We checked out and only a few minutes later while en route to the USAF museum for our second day visiting, one of my sons discovered that his ring was missing. We phoned the hotel and asked Veronica to have the staff look for it in the bed linens. Sure enough, it was found and waiting for us at the front desk when we returned to pick it up at the end of the day. The hotel was clean and quiet, and after having stayed at motel 6's I can definitely say that this was 300% better. We switched to the Hampton Inn North for an indoor pool for our 3rd night in Dayton, but the rooms were far less inspiring. The breakfast at the BW was okay, but we wanted Waffle House anyway (sorry). Overall, a good location and good value. You definitely get what you pay for.

Room Tip: the king bed rooms are very spacious
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family