“Not Worth It!!”
Review of BeachHorses

BeachHorses
More attraction details
Owner description: This is one of the few place in Florida where you can legally ride your horse on a beach. The calm waters and flat sandy bottom of Palma Sola Bay make it possible to ride on a horse that is swimming. This is the birthplace of Horse Surfing™. Horseback riding on the beach, swimming with horses, and Horse Skiing™ . Reservations required.
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My friend had always wanted to try this so I agreed. Boy was I sorry! We arrived early and got right to it since they had no other riders. First we rode a little way down the "beach". The beach seemed more like a dog walking beach. It was not really a beach like you imagine when you say "beach". It was the very end of a small bay area by the road. It was dirty and not inviting.The ride was very slippery as it was bareback of which I am not a big fan. The horses were not well behaved. They kept trying to turn around, head out into the water and bite either each other or the girls leading them. Finally we turned to go back to our starting point then into the water. Now the horses did not want to go into the water. At this point I noticed the water at the swimming end of the beach. It was full of horse manure. The girls tried to keep us out of it but it was a challenge. We walked out into deeper water to " swim". I would not get into the water. The horses tried to go back to shore. Mine started rearing trying to get away. I just decide to cut my ride short at that point. I was not pleased. I thought it was way overpriced for what you get and not at all that fun. I love horseback riding but not this one!

6  Thank Mary Ann V
timmttx, Owner at BeachHorses, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy your beach ride. We've been doing this for about 7 years and thousand of people have done it. Most everyone says it's "awesome" and we're genuinely disappointed whenever someone is less than enthusiastic.

It's true the beach is not on the Gulf and it is a dog-friendly beach. It is also the only beach south of Jacksonville where horses are allowed. We've posted over 20,000 images online so anyone can see exactly what it looks like before they book.

The horses do occasionally poop in the water but the water is generally clean. It fact, the water quality has been tested weekly for more than a decade (Healthy Beaches) and consistently show results that are among the cleanest in the county.

Not sure about your claim that a horse "reared." That's never happened with any of our horses to my knowledge.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

I was all set for this highly-recommended adventure when I had to cancel just a few days before my reservation. I spoke with the owner who graciously bent a few of his own guidelines so that I could re-book at a later date... Completely unsolicited later that afternoon, he demonstrated his exceptional customer service skills by making sure I was a very happy customer-to-be.

At the very next opportunity I will spend my vacation $$ with BeachHorses not only because of the unique nature of this adventure, but because Jim takes care of his customers -- even ones that had to cancel. Isn't this the type of business we should support?

Reviewed 26 May 2013

I rode a really sweet mare called Anne, she must have been a seahorse in her past life as she really loved the water. Got to do a little horse surfing and eve horse water water skiing as I held on to Anne tail as she ran thru the water.

Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

nice and friendly people, beautiful horses, a lot of laughs included, nice beach, simply an amazing experience! I had a blast! I would love to do it again (:

Reviewed 11 April 2013

My daughter and I were visiting some friends that lived in Bradenton Beach area and were looking for things to do that my daughter would enjoy. My friend suggested we try Beach Horses since my daughter loves riding and competes in shows in Maryland. I too was an experience rider. My friend and her daughter were novice riders but were willing to try since the advertisement said riders of all experience would be able to ride.
Once we got to the beach location we saw the horses and how beautiful the beach was. The sun was about to set in about 1 hour. There was a group ahead of us so we were able to watch how the riding, swimming and how the horses acted.
After we signed our lives away on the waivers we were paired up with our horses. We were asked what experience we had and so the riding began. My daughter and I were able to ride without a guide leading us down the beach so we were able to canter back and forth down the beach. The horses that we rode had smooth gaits so it wasn't hard to ride them. My girlfriend and her daughter were on a lead line and the guide walked beside them.
Now the exciting part was next-getting the horses to swim out into the ocean! My daughter was the lead horse so she went in first and the guides held onto the horses tail, one guide was holding my horse and a guide was holding her tail getting pulled while she was pulling my friend's horse so it was like a horse line. Once we were deep enough we were told to stand up on the horse's back...it was pretty easy once you got your balance so everyone in our group was able to do it. While we were standing on our horses the sun was setting it was such a beautiful backdrop for what we were experiencing. The surprising and most enjoyable part of the ride was being pulled behind the horses while they ran, you had to hold on to their tail for dear life. It was just like getting pulled by a boat or a jet ski and we were body skiing. Another memorable experience was when the horses were actually swimming and we were riding them. After the swim we all dragged our guides back until we hit the beach.
Our guides were so nice and friendly that made the ride enjoyable as well. They were very patient with the other riders who didn't know how to ride.
I would recommend this to anyone who loves horses and wants a unique experience.
We had no problem booking our ride and we even hired the photographer to take pictures for us. My only suggestion is when you do your water part you need to bring your own water proof camera because the photographer does not get in the water and you do want to get a picture of you "surfing the horse" close up:). My daughter still can't stop talking about this ride to all her friends and to her trainer....it was very memorable. The owner was very nice to us and explained everything to us before we booked the ride. I can't wait to go back down to Florida and do this again and try the other horse activities that this company has available:)

2  Thank IslandBella7