“Awful conditions”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bradenton West
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Bradenton
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel and could not believe the musty, smoky, and cover up fragrance smells in our room. The bathroom was filthy! The pool and hot tub were dirty and had things floating in them. The management would not/could not address our concerns. They did offer a slight discount but would not give us another room and sent down housekeeping to spray some awful smelling cover up. For over $200 dollars this hotel is not worth your time or money! FYI-This is my first time complaining about any hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Timothy G
Bob M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bradenton West, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Timothy G

I have reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize for any inconvenience you suffered. I have spent considerable time today reviewing each item that you pointed out with our Housekeeper and Front Office Manager. Together we will address the shortcomings of our performance, to ensure that future guests do not experience similar problems.

At Holiday Inn Express Bradenton West we care deeply about our guest’s satisfaction. I regret that our front office agent failed to respond more forcefully to meet your needs. We are dedicated to providing value to every guest.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We look forward to hosting you again in the future with confidence that we can provide you with a much improved experience.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

The staff go above and beyond in making you feel welcome. Jade, Renee & the two workers in the kitchen. Prior to my stay, I called to see if I could be moved to a room wiht a refrigerator. Upon arrival, I was surprised to had been placed in a suite. The room was adequate & clean. We couldn't sleep that night thinking the windows were very thin, but the next morning we realized that the cleaning staff or prior guests had left the window open. This would explain the noise coming from the road. We slept fine afterwards. Husband felt bed was comfortable enough and the kids enjoyed the sofa bed. I, on the other hand, could not have slept in the sofa bed. Holiday Inn should invest on sofa bed mattress covers to avoid feeling the coils! The bed was ok. The overall hotel does have a smell of cigarettes but you can tell that they are trying to erradicate it. The breakfast was ok, but it gets busy and the only two staff members run around trying to replenish everything... it goes fast. There is another room on the second floor with additional seating or you can eat poolside. The pool was nice, small and private. The area is close to Publix, Aldi & Dollar Store & Walmart. Easy access to Lido Beach Sarasota or Coquina down the road on Cortez. Great restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, you never know if there is an opening on the top floors. Less cigarette smell a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Bob M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bradenton West, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear ny2fl04 -

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Bradenton, and thanks for the kind words about our team. We're proud of all of our staff, but no doubt Jade and Rene are standouts.

We only offer refrigerators in our superior rooms (suites and poolside), but we do try to upgrade whenever possible. You were quite fortunate since we have been so busy that we are rarely able to accomodate such requests.

We do work dilgently to keep follks from smoking in rooms, policing it as much as possiblel and fining those who break the rule. Unfortunately guests with sensitive sniffer sometimes sense some prior bad behavior. I apologize for the inconveninece.

Thanks again for your review. I look forward to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I had never been to Bradenton before and the closer I got to the hotel, the more concerned I was about the area. The hotel is surrounded by strip malls and fast food restaurants. The outside of the hotel was nice and colorful but once I stepped into the lobby, I felt like I was in a motel more than a hotel. The person who checked me in could not have been nicer. She gave me a list of local restaurants at check in without me having to ask. My room was on the second floor and I decided to take the stairs in the lobby rather than the elevator. The carpet on the stairs was slightly worn as was the carpet in the hallway. The room was clean but the furniture was surprisingly old and worn. The nightstands were severely scratched as was the old fashion dresser that held the television. The walls had some nicks and stains but again, the room was clean, very clean. The bathroom was very nice and had been renovated. The elevator also seemed new. I could hear the television in the room next door but those things don't bother me as long as the television is off before midnight. Breakfast was good and the room where the breakfast was served was nice. There is free internet.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Bob M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bradenton West, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Debbiespaulding -

Thank you for choosing our hotel to host your recent visit and for your nice comments regarding the cleanliness and friendliness of our property. You are correct in that we are located in a busy area. Many guests consider our location a plus, since we are close to shopping, restaurants, entertainment and the beach.

We are currenly working on several projects that will update our appearance. These projects will be completed before the summer. Until then we keep the hotel sparkling clean and do our best to be the friendlest and most helpful hotel team in the entire area.

Thanks again for your visit. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed 2 nights at this location,Jade at the front desk was awesome.Room was clean,breakfast was good.I would recommend this hotel ,close to beaches,shopping,restaurants.Pool area was nice and clean.All of the staff were very friendly and seemed to go out of their way to make sure that you enjoyed your stay.

Stayed: March 2014
Bob M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bradenton West, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Debbiespaulding - Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to our area and for your generous review. Our goal is 100% guest satisfaction - and I'm so glad that we achieved that with you.

The best part for me was you comment regarding how helpful our staff was. That is the trademark of a great hotel, and the foundation for every successful guest experience.

My team and I look forward to hosting you on future visits. Thanks again.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

The staff try hard to please. The place is basically, clean. The breakfast choices are decent in an overcrowded, breakfast room . The pool and hot tub area are private and pleasant. Bathroom amenities of soap, shampoo, cream rinse and lotion are nice. Ground floor carpeting was being cleaned during our stay. We stayed three nights. We were first put in a room ground floor, poolside room with an overpowering smell of cleaning products. The maid told us she had to spray the room because a smoker had been smoking in the non-smoking room. Leaving for a while didn't help and we asked to be moved. The second non-smoking room we moved to smelled of stale cigarette smoke but we figured that was better than the chemical smell. Keeping the door open and spending money on air freshener as well as a solid air freshener designed for absorbing odours in basements did little to help but we kept being hopeful and didn't want to pack up and move again esp as we thought it could be another futile effort. Even the curtains and bathroom had a strong odour. On checkout, the assistant manager told us we had been put in the ex-smoking wing and people sensitive to the smell would notice it even though they had had extensive cleaning of the rooms. We found a cigarette butt just outside the door and were convinced someone had been smoking inside and outside the room, (even the curtains and bathroom had a strong odour), despite the notices about it being a non-smoking room so I think this was beyond being an ex-smoking room. We were given priority points for this inconvenience which is some compensation. The room was convenient to the pool and we sat outside at night which was pleasant and we tried to concentrate on these advantages but even that was outweighed by the disgusting smell of this room. We should have really have tried to move again. I was actually looking to relocate to another hotel but the ones I looked at were booked up (as was this one). There are areas one can smoke outside at this hotel and we did see thoughful smokers doing that. I wish the inconsiderate smokers would stay somewhere else instead of ruining other people's stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chocoholic7265

Dear Ontariochocoholic - Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay. I am pleased that you found that our staff was eager to please our guests. We do our best to make sure that every guest leaves satisfied.

I could not agree with you more regarding your displeasure with the smell of smoke in guest rooms. That is exactly why we voluntarily hired a top level smoke elimination firm to convert our smoking wing to non-smoking. The vast majority of guests have been delighted with the change, sparking a great deal of positive feedback. Unfortunately, some guests fail to abide by the rules. We do our best to enforce the policy and clean up after an infraction. I apologize for your having to deal with the issue.

Again, my thanks for your choosing Holiday Inn Express.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We were disappointed in this hotel location. The lobby was clean and staff was very friendly. However, the room interior was worn and needs upgraded. The noise level between rooms was below standard including bathroom noises from adjoining rooms and hallway noises. Morning breakfast was poor. Powered eggs and bacon were not good. Youth soccer team running and loud talking in the hallway at 11:42 p.m. did not help.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bob M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bradenton West, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Tim Y -

Thank you for choosing our hotel during your Bradenton visit, and thanks as well for your comments. We are continually in the process of upgrading many parts of the hotel, investing in new furnishings and decorator items. I am sorry that you were disappointed in your guest room. We do work diligently to keep our accommodations clean and comfortable.

I must respectfully correct one item in your review. Holiday Inn Express in general, and our property specifically, do not use powered eggs. We use whole eggs that are prepared per Holiday Inn specifications. We are proud of all of our food items and only provide fresh fare to our guests.

Thanks again for your review. We hope to see you back in our neighborhood soon.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

The two plusses are location and room cleanliness. This inn is within walking distance to Aldi and a shopping center with a Publix grocery/liquor store, Chinese and Italian restaurants. Also the inn backs up to a nice residential area with sidewalks. It is within short driving distance to many attractions, stores, and restaurants. In our room the shower faucet handle and toilet seat were loose and toilet paper holders kept coming apart. The TV remote needed batteries and didn't work very well with new ones. The a/c unit cooled but not to the temp on the display. We ran it on 60 all night and needed only a sheet for cover. Someone came to "fix" it but didn't work any better. The inn has only one small elevator for 3 stories of rooms. For two of our four day stay we had to dodge large hoses in the hall, lobby, and entrance where carpet cleaning was taking place. The lobby ceiling had a fire sprinkler leak in the ceiling(another guest said there were more leaks around the building) and the open staircase and sitting area were cordoned off with "crime scene" tape for a couple days. When the staircase was re-opened the debris from the ceiling wasn't vacuumed for more than 24 hrs. The parking lot was never blown the entire time so was trashy with fallen leaves. Bottles and cans littering the parking lot were never picked up either. Our first full day there, we left the room at 10:00 a.m. Upon returning at 4:00 p.m. our room had not been cleaned. During the 30 mins. we had to freshen up and change clothes before leaving for a function, the maid came to clean only because we asked if our room had been over looked! We had to enlist the help of the head of housekeeping to explain we needed to use our room. While the light over the toilet is quite bright the one over the vanity was so dim it was difficult to apply make up. While the complimentary breakfast was adequate the seating wasn't. I saw people sitting in the lobby with their food. There is outside seating but hadn't been wiped dry from rain or dew to use. While the carpet cleaning and sprinkler leak may not be daily happenings, I do think all guests should have received a discounted rate for having to put up with it. Also, we were surprised to find no microwave or small refrigerator in the room. We could hear a person in neighboring room using toilet and furniture being moved in the room above us one morning before 8:00 a.m.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
rparadine, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bradenton West, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Shelbycruiser - Please accept my apologies for the many issues you had to deal with during your stay. We really appreciate you constructive feedback. It helps us to correct dificiencies and improve services.

I also apologize for the hoses that you encountered in the hallways. Our property has been very busy, so we had our entire public area flooring sanitized to assure that our property remains clean and fresh. I understand that there was some inconvenience to our guests and, once again I apologize sincerely.

I'm afraid that we had little control over the flood in the ceiling in the lobby. We were all surprised by the incident. We did our best to keep the area clean and safe during repairs. But certainly understand your frustration with it.

Thank you for choosing our hotel to serve as your host during your visit. We hope that you will come back to allow us to show you that we are capable of a much better performance.

Best Regards

General Manaer

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradenton
Hampton Inn & Suites Bradenton Downtown Historic District
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bradenton at I-75
Anna Maria Island Dream Inn
Anna Maria Island Dream Inn
#11 of 11 in Bradenton Beach

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bradenton West? Share your experiences!