“Better than expected!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bushkill
Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway
Reviewed 9 October 2008

I almost canceled our vacation after reading the reviews posted here. We called the resort and they told us that they had some problems but were in the process of upgrading. We requested one of the newly refurbished rooms. We were pleasantly surprised! The unit itself was very nice. We had a loft with two twin beds, and the kids didn't mind going down two flights of stairs to use the bathroom!!

There were two bedrooms plus a sleeper sofa. The appliances were all fairly new and everything was clean and nice. The furniture was a little worn and the outside of the building had obviously not been upgraded yet. (peeling, old paint!) But, for the most part, we were very happy. All of the indoor pools were clean and well maintained. (and they did offer pool towels) They were very chemical-ish, but at least we knew they were safe from bacteria!

Everything was close by. The game room was huge and loud, but we enjoyed it. Lots of places to shop in the area and Bushkill Falls is just short drive. The only on-site dining we tried was the Jukebox Diner. It wasn't great.

All in all, we thought this was a very family friendly place to stay. Not fancy, but fun and clean! Just request a newly refurbished unit!

Don't miss the Pocono Snake and Animal Farm. Although it looks run down and a little scary....we loved it!! The animals were so people friendly....definitely pay the money for the monkey food and watch them try to get you to pick them to throw it to. They can catch it if you feed the monkeys and lemurs in the cages out side!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 August 2008

We just got back from a stay at Tree Top.We checked in on Sunday b/c that was the day available for our exchange. Check in was at 4:00 and we waited on line for over 1hr to check in. There must have been over 100 people on line to check in. At 6:00 the line was still wrapped around the lobby.Very poor planning. They said this happens every Week!!The room was spacious, but the maintenance was poor. The screen door was broken, the safety lock on the front door was missing, the downstairs were freezing , but the upstairs warm. You had to leave your garbage outside and every morning someone's garbage had been ripped open by animals and there was garbage everywhere.I found the restaurants dirty and all the restrooms smelly and dirty.All the amenities are a car drive away.We spent our three days there thinking of things to do away from there!! I was very disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank ellyscor
Reviewed 6 August 2008

The place was very family oriented and convenient. I went there as a weekend getaway with my boyfriend. The golf course was right behind our balcony and there was horse back riding, bumper car, restaurant, gift shop, indoor and outdoor pool right on site. I stood in a studio that slept 4, the room did need some updating the couch was a little old, the fabric was really faded. other wise it was clean and spacious.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank punkazooie
Reviewed 24 February 2008

I must disagree with anyone on here that stayed at this dump and gave it a fair review. This place was old, run down and dirty! It was a complete waste of money. We had a 2 bedroom with a loft unit that looked as if it had not been cleaned in a month. Dust was all over the lamps, the glass table needed a good wipe down. The downstairs smelled like number two, upon arrival we found the bed in the master bedroom was half made, we also found there were dirty washcloths and towels left in the master bathroom. To say this place needs updating is an understatement, it needs a hand grenade through the front door! You name it: gross, the tile, the carpet, the couches and chairs you didn't even want to sit on them, all just nasty and weathered. The kitchen counter tops and cabinets as well as the cabinets in the bathrooms were crusty and falling apart. Nothing worked, the dishwasher was from 1975 it looked as if an animal was living in it, so we could not even stomach eating with the provided utensils and plates, we had to get plastic. The maintenance guy came to look at the dishwasher, he kinda shrugged and left. The guest toilet was clogged, the balcony had holes in the siding (I saw a squirrel run into one of the holes). I don't know how the people at the check in can look you in the eye and take your money. I compare this place to a crappy frat house and will never return.

Stayed: January 2008
5  Thank weekdaybuyer
Reviewed 25 January 2008

WHAT A HORROR!

I highly suggest you look at my photographs of this resort. This place is appalling!

Our unit was described as an “efficiency” according to the resort. The kitchen had a two-burner stove, (no oven), a sink, a microwave, a coffee maker, cooking utensils, and a refrigerator. (The refrigerator turned out to be one of those small ones.) There was one queen bed, and a full-size sleeper sofa in the living room area along with a table and four chairs. Once the sofa bed was open, the table and chairs had to be put up against the wall, and you had no room at all to sit at the table. There was one television in the living room. There was one bathroom, which was very long and narrow. It had a sink with counter top space, and a hairdryer, commode, a Jacuzzi and a shower.

We arrived in Bushkill on Wednesday at 10:30 pm. It was dark, and we knew we were in the right vicinity, but could not find The Villas at Tree Tops. We drove back and forth on Route 209, wondering if we missed a sign. We saw signs for Fernwood, so I suggested that we stop there, as they would probably know where to direct us. We did not know at the time that Fernwood was associated with The Villas at Tree Tops. My husband parked in a very poorly lit parking lot, while my son and I waited in the car for what we thought would only be a few minutes. After about ½ hour, my husband came back out, and said that this was the place where we were supposed to check in! There were no signs to indicate that what so ever! Upon check-in, my husband was given a “Guide to Activities and Special Events”. In the center page of the guide was a map of “The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway”. The girl who had waited on him at the main desk had highlighted in blue the route we should take from the Fernwood Hotel and Resort parking lot, to Unit 6003 B. She had not only highlighted the route, but she also wrote in pen the room number 6003 B in a box on the map. She also gave him a small manila envelope with two keys inside. (Those plastic credit card-like keys.)We followed the highlighted route on the map as directed to 6003 B. As we drove to our unit, we noticed a lot of garbage bags lying in front of the units. This certainly did not look very inviting. We arrived at 6003. There was a garbage bag thrown in front of this unit too. We parked, and carried some small items up to the door with us. We removed the key from the envelope, slid it through the “lock”, and it did not work. We tried it again. We tried the second key. It did not work. It was then that we noticed in the dark that the number on the manila envelope that was hand-written was not 6003, but 6033. As we went back to our car, we noticed that 6033 was just across the street. Should we go across and try the key in that door? Well, why not? We did, and the key worked. Before taking anything into the unit, the first thing we did was make a call to the front desk and explain what had occurred. They told us to stay there at 6033. We asked if it would be okay because we had signed for room 6003 B, and if someone was eventually given that room and caused any problems or damages, we did not want to be responsible for it. They assured us that it was okay. So we went out to the car, parked it in front of 6033, and brought all of our luggage and food inside. We unpacked everything—hung clothes in the closet, put food in the cupboards and refrigerator, put our toiletry items in the bathroom, and got ready for bed. We weren’t very happy with the condition of the unit---the carpets were stained, the upholstery on the furniture was stained and ripped, even the curtains were stained, the shower was moldy and gross, the kitchen cupboard doors were crooked, there was even a large can of RAID prominently placed in one of the kitchen cupboards! But we were so tired after a long drive, and just wanted to get some sleep.

We were all fast asleep when at 12:30 am, we heard pounding on our door! Someone was putting their key in the lock and turning the door handle and attempting to get in! My son got very scared! My husband yelled out, “You have the wrong room!” But the pounding on the door continued, and we could hear lots of yelling from the hallway. Someone said, “No we don’t!” My husband opened the door a crack (with that little lock on) and said to the crowd in the hallway vestibule that we were assigned this room. And the crowd in the hallway said that they had this room and the one upstairs since Sunday!!!!!!! So once again, we called the front desk. This time they told us that yes, that room was given to someone else!!!!!!!!!!! They told us to come down to the front desk. We had to pack up all of our stuff that was in the refrigerator, cupboards, closet, bathroom, etc…pack up the car, and drive down to the front office. My son and I went in our pajamas. My husband was talking to a curly-haired, bracelet-wearing young man who just kept saying over and over again that it wasn’t his fault. I went up to a woman who was also behind the desk and told her that this was going to be the third time that we were given a different room. She turned her back on me and walked away! I then asked the young man who I could complain to, and he said to call the next morning after 9 am to talk to the manager. So after things got straightened away, we were sent back to---you guessed it--- room 6003 B. This time the key worked. We had to walk down several flights of steps to get to this basement room. It had an over-powering stench of cigarette smoke! And the room was freezing cold! We went to adjust the thermostat, only to find that it was smashed to pieces!!!!!!!! (I wish I would have taken a photo of the smashed thermostat.)This room was dingy and had stained carpet and dirt embedded in cracks and crevices just like the first room. Again, another call was made to the front desk. They told us to come back there again. This time my son and I waited in the car. There was no use going inside to complain. No one would listen. Now we were given keys to Unit 6029. This unit was identical to Unit 6033. It was now Thanksgiving Day at 2:30 am. So our check-in took 4 hours, and 4 different units.

At 10:30 am Thanksgiving Day, a female, the manager, called to apologize for the trouble we went through. She was very nice. She wanted to know the exact details or our ordeal. When I explained everything, telling her the room numbers, etc…she had been given soooo much misinformation from the people who had been working that night shift it was unreal! Their information conflicted with our information. I would love to know what stories they told her. She offered to give us an extra night’s stay. We declined. Then she offered us a late check-out for Sunday. We declined that also. Then she said she would give us a $50.00 gift certificate to use at one of the restaurants there at the resort. We took that. She also said that if we needed anything at all, just call.

When we were in the other units, we noticed that there were starter packages of supplies such as soap, shampoo, dishwashing liquid, etc… This unit had one bar of soap, and that was it. Luckily, I had packed extra soap and shampoo. There were also supposed to be extra blankets in the closet, but there were not. I placed a call to Karen in “Inventory Control”. I explained that we were missing the starter pack of supplies---she seemed like she didn’t believe me---I guess if you were missing it, how would you know you it was supposed to be there in the first place? I explained to her that this was the 4th room we were assigned to, and the starter pack had been in the other rooms. She asked what we needed. I told her the dish soap, and extra blankets. They were delivered to our unit in about 20 minutes. I was surprised to see that the blankets were brand new—still wrapped in plastic.

We decided that a late check-out might not be such a bad idea. So the evening before we were scheduled to leave, we went to the front desk, and asked if we could have a late check out. We were told, no, late check-out were for owners only. So we explained that we were offered a late check-out by the manager because of the problems that occurred upon our check-in. The man at the desk consulted his computer. Then he said we could check out one-hour later. Wow.

Fernwood has three restaurants: The Trolley Stop Pub, Mama Bella’s, and The Jukebox Diner. They also have a food court with an ice cream shop and a pizza shop. When we went to use our gift certificate, the restaurant was not open! Se we decided to use it for breakfast at the Jukebox diner on Sunday morning before we left. Our waitress was wonderful! We told her that we had the certificate, and we ordered our breakfasts. She told us that we could order from the lunch menu to get food to go and that way we could use up the remainder of the gift certificate. This was great for us because then we had our lunches all ready to go for our trip home! She was the best thing that the resort had to offer.

We went to the ice cream shop one evening. We waited in line for quite some time as the previous customer was rung up incorrectly and was owed some change. The person working the cash register could not figure out how to correct the balance on the register. When we finally had our turn to place our order, my husband went first and ordered strawberry shortcake. The girl that was working there did not know how to make strawberry shortcake. She had to look at the photograph on the poster several times. I could go into a lot more detail about how she actually made and re-made the dessert, but to make a long story short, it took about 20 minutes for her to make it. My son ordered a sundae with Reese’s pieces on top. The girl over-filled his bowl with sooo much cold, hard ice cream, and then when she dumped the Reese’s pieces on top of the conical shaped ice cream she looked stunned when they fell off on to the floor. When it was my turn to order, I asked for one scoop of ice cream in a bowl. Otherwise, we might still be there today.

The resort had a lot of planned activities. For the kids they had a nature walk, bingo, mini-golf, make your own stuffed owl, make your own bird feeder, karaoke, kickball, giant jenga game, craft your rubber duck, make your own scarecrow ($5.00), an ice cream social ($2.00), marshmallow roast, and a Frisbee toss. They had a kid’s camp from 4pm to 8pm which cost $10.00. For the adults, they also had an “Event Center” that looked like a big warehouse. The Event Center had a magic show, bands, comedians, R&B Extravaganza, and a variety show to name a few of the events that took place during the time that we were there. My husband and son went to see a juggler, and the juggler opened his show by saying, “Welcome to the Fernwood Event Center Slash Aircraft Hanger”. That just goes to show you how bad the place looked for even the juggling act to make such a comment! The resort also had shuttle trips to places like the Lakota Wolf Preserve ($18.00 for adults and $10.00 for children), Franklin Hill Vineyards Trip, and an Outlet Shopping Trip. Other than the juggling show, we didn’t participate in any of the other activities.

Our unit was situated right near hole #11 on the golf course. We saw no one golfing the entire time we were there.

We took a walk around the resort. Some units looked to be very old. Ours looked newer from the outside, which was very deceiving. The inside really needed an overhaul. There was a lake at the resort. There were a lot of ducks at the lake. There is a miniature golf course and a playground on the resort property, but we didn’t see it in any of our travels. We passed some basketball courts many times, as they were near the “Tree Tops” sign near the entrance to the resort. They were always crowded. Also on the map are areas for canoes, bumper boats, shuffleboard, and snow tubing. We didn’t see these either, but then again, it was November, so I don’t imagine they were open. There are horse stables on the resort. Once we did see a group of people going out horseback riding.

The outdoor pool was closed. There are three indoor pools. The main pool is at Fernwood, Fairway pool, and Valley Station pool. Fernwood pool was always crowded and very noisy. We checked that pool out several times, but decided that we did not want to swim there. It just did not look appealing. We went to the Valley Station pool because it looked like it would be out-of-the-way on the map, and we expected it to be the least crowded. We were right. For a very long time, we were the only people there. The pool water was supposed to be heated, but both my husband and I thought it was very cold. My son didn’t mind though. After we were there for a while, a family with screaming children came. The screams echoed so loudly in that building that it hurt our ears! It was time to leave the pool!

There is a huge arcade called the “Game Zone”. This was probably the largest arcade in a resort that I have seen. There were many different games. You had to purchase tokens to play them.

There was also a small gift shop that carried bathing suits, T-shirts, postcards, small souvenir items, snacks, magazines and books.

We spent a half day at Bushkill Falls Park. It was really worth it. It is very close to Tree Tops Resort—only about a ten minute drive. They call Bushkill Falls, “The Niagara of Pennsylvania”. There are trails there, some more strenuous than others, but we had no problems. They have a great program for kids called the “Trail Map Adventure”. For 50 cents you purchase a map and a punch card. You have to find punch stations, or “control points” as they call it, along the trails. When 5, 10, or 20 locations have been found and verified with a unique punch, the hiker can win a prize pack. You have to submit your punch card at the end of your hike to receive your prize pack by mail. I have to warn you though; my son still has not received his prize pack. But it was fun to do anyway. The park has eight waterfalls, and they are very beautiful. Since we were there in November, it was the end of the season, and many things that the park has to offer were closed. But in the summer they have paddleboats, miniature golf, fishing, funnel cakes, fudge, ice cream and mining for gem stones. Their website is www.visitbushkillfalls.com

When we checked out, we were waited on by an elderly gentleman. We had a few phone charges. (Our cell phone could not get reception in the Pocono Mountains.) Check out was quick and painless. On our arrival, the weather was warm. But as the week went by, the temperatures began to drop. On our last night there, we heard a lot of scratching noises. Most likely, it was field mice trying to look for a warmer home. We told the gentleman this upon check out, and he simply commented that it is that time of year when all the creatures try to get inside, and that it is a common occurrence around those parts. I can understand that. We are from Pennsylvania, and our property borders some woods. We get field mice in our shed and occasionally in our garage. When this happens, we take care of the problem. But if you are supposed to be a first class resort, I would think that would be something that would be taken care of with exterminators on a regular basis. Personally, I understand that this occurs, and I am not bothered by the mice, (unless they would be a real nuisance). But I am sure that there are some people who would be very put out by a mouse.

So, we know there are mice, and with the can of Raid, I would say there are bugs too. The insides of the villas had stained carpets, stained and torn upholstery, stained drapery, broken cupboards, dirty walls, and moldy bathrooms. The people who work here (with the exception of the waitress at the Jukebox Diner) are either stupid or rude. I say they should fire everyone who works here, and just demolish this whole place and start over. If I were a timeshare owner at this place, I would be up in arms! I would never return to this dump again.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank geneticblend
Reviewed 31 December 2007

Overall the timeshare was nice but there were some problems. First, we asked for a two bedroom unit with a loft. The layout turned out to be very inconvinient especially if you have young kids. There is foyer, kitchen and living rooms on the main level. Loft is on the top floor and you don't want your kids to go there and use this stairwell!!! Two bedrooms and bathrooms are located on the ground level. It was cold there and our oldest son had to go there all the way from the loft to use the bathroom. Also there was a constant mechanical noise (pump?). The unit was refurbished and it was clear it was renovated but all appliances and TVs were old (about 20 years old). It was nice that it was a shuttle there but couple of times we had to wait for over 30 min. The worst experience we had at the timeshare was Mama Bella's restaurant. It was overpriced and the food they served was cold and had to be reheated in the microwave. But the worst part was waiting. We had to wait 2 hours for our food! We compained but the staff was very indifferent and didn't seem to care. The other two restaurants had better food and service and almost no wait.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank obezyanka
Reviewed 15 November 2007

After reading some of reviews for this resort I thought it would be horrible. To my surpise to was very nice. I came prepared to pick this place apart packed with my Lysol, bug spray, air freshners and a clean set of sheets. Happy to say that I only had to use the Lysol and that because I disinfect everything. The biggest complaint that I could think of was that the shower had low water pressure and the pool is closed- big deal. I'm sitting here now -still in my villa- looking at a beautiful view planning my next trip here. Next time it will be in the summer! It is getting COLD!
Don't let the reviews fool you this is a beautiful place!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ExhalingItAll
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bushkill
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort
Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg

Been to Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway? Share your experiences!