“Hotel Fine but beware the free airport shuttle”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Allentown Bethlehem/Lehigh Valley Airport
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The hotel itself was fine, pretty much the standard Fairfield Inn you'd expect. Technically less than 2 miles from Allentown Airport, you'd easily be able to see it from a top floor room, but you absolutely couldn't walk it (no sidewalks, no crossings, all busy main roads). This hotel is next door to the other Marriott properties also listed at Allentown Airport, they are all in a row. It is right next to route 22.

The rooms were a little dark, but they do tend to be at Fairfield's as there is no central ceiling light, just lamps and wall mounted bedside lamps and they have a tendency with this Marriott brand to use, browns, blues and oranges. The travelers photos submitted for this hotel do reflect pretty much what you get. The professional hotel photos are a lot brighter than it is in reality, but I have no complaints. Plenty of parking outside. Front desk staff were friendly. Didn't eat breakfast or make use of other facilities, so can't make any comments as we stayed there to be close to Allentown Airport for an early departure, so breakfast wasn't open when we left at 4:30am.

However, my only issue is that if you are catching an early flight from Allentown Airport, then the offer of the free airport shuttle is totally misleading. We booked in on the "park & fly" package and then were unable to use it as the shuttle doesn't start running until 7am. I specifically rung one afternoon before booking the room to check if we needed to reserve a place on the shuttle. I explained that we had a very early morning departure and was told to make sure I booked a place on the shuttle when we checked in, as it wasn't first come first served. When I mentioned this at checkin, they explained that someone should have told us the shuttle didn't start running until 7:00am. They were very apologetic and there was nothing much they could do other than offer us the number of a taxi company. My advice would be, if you're flight departs before 8:00am, forget about the park and fly option, unless you are prepared to get a taxi across which we were told was $20 - $25 for an incredibly short distance.

So whilst this hotel advertises itself as "free shuttle to the airport", it is with limitations that are not made clear on the Marriott Website and in our case, not by the person we specifically asked about the shuttle services prior to making the reservation.

For flights later in the day and if you intend to be away for a long time, then this option might work, but I would recommend you double check all details before you book.

And if you are going to leave your car at the hotel, just be aware it is an open unsecured parking lot outside the hotel with all the usual hotel disclaimers about damage to the car.

Room Tip: We were at the far end of the hotel away from route 22, so didn't hear road noise.
1  Thank Travelbugreviewer
Victoria F, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Allentown Bethlehem/Lehigh Valley Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear FGilburt,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I am sorry that you had an issue with utilizing the shuttle for Airport Transportation. Normally, when we know that a guest needs to be there early we work with our staff to have someone in. I am sorry that did not happen for you. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns with our staff so that this doesn't happen again to another guest.

Best regards,
Vickie
610-867-0479

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We travel here for business about every three months. The hotel is always well kept, the breakfast is excellent, and the staff is incredible. They were booked for one of our trips and we had to stay at the Residence Inn and it just did not begin to compare.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We have stayed at this Fairfield Inn a number of times in the past, with consistently good experiences. This trip was our first long roadtrip in our new all-electric car. So, having an electrical outlet for recharging was very important, as the local Tesla Supercharger has not yet "opened for business." I called the hotel before our departure to see if they could accommodate our charging needs. I spoke with Alia at the front desk. She said she would check with their maintenance people and call me back--and, she did. A few hours later, she called to say that there was an outlet in back of the building that should work. I really appreciated the follow-through on Alia's part. When we arrived, we quickly found the promised outlet and, with the help of Jose (in Maintenance), we were soon hooked up and charging. Jose was very friendly and helpful. He found a "hazard" cone to mark where our cable crossed the sidewalk--tripping hazard. And, because there were only 2 parking places that would allow us to reach the outlet, he encouraged us to use the cone to "reserve" our parking spot when we were gone.

Alia and Jose stand out in our minds. But, every encounter with Fairfield staff was positive. This is a well run property, with well trained staff. That delivering great guest value and experience is important to everyone really shows--compliments to the GM.

Our room was quiet and comfortable. Our requests for the top floor and away from vending & elevators was accommodated--we didn't have to remind them at check-in. This experience has definitely solidified the Fairfield Inn at the Lehigh Valley Airport as our go-to hotel for our next visit.

Room Tip: Room 309 was on the top floor and well away from vending & elevators.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The staff at this hotel is fantastic. The staff alone is well worth staying here. Front desk is more than helpful and housekeeping is quick and efficient when cleaning rooms. Please consider staying here next time you're in the Lehigh Valley area.

-Extremely Satisfied Guest

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here for a wedding in town. I have never stayed at a hotel for this price at this quality, I was thoroughly impressed. Super clean, staff was pleasant, bed was comfortable, towels were soft, free breakfast was better than expected. If I had to make a negative comment it would be that the air conditioner is not operated on a thermostat, just on and off. Would definitely stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here during Graduation Weekend from a local college. The front desk clerk handling check-in was very efficient and professional. The room was quiet and comfortable. The breakfast was well stocked and sufficient. The outdoor pool looked inviting but unfortunately it was too cold outside for us to use it. My daughter commented that she had a terrific sleep in her bed. This was another great stay at a Marriott affiliate.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had the most pleasant experience. I am impressed with how clean the room was, the frond desk staff, the breakfast buffet, the popcorn, cookies and apple snacks when I returned from my day of visiting! I want to commend especially Alia Morales and Victoria Fairbairn. They became my friends! The gave me such good tips, and recommended my dropping my car off the night before my flight, and having the shuttle pick me up (Dan). Then it made it easier the next morning, without rushing. I love that hotel and if I ever get to Allentown again, that is the only place I would consider staying!

Room Tip: Higher floor!
1  Thank Carolyn H