“Great stay! Will be back”

Hyatt Place Bethlehem
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Gaithersburg
“Great stay! Will be back”
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I'm staying here right now and it's fantastic! The rooms are huge and we'll equipped. The TV is a nice flat screen and a good size. The shower is a bit odd not having a shower curtain or door that closes all the way, but no water got on the floor. The bed was comfy and the room was really warm even though it was below freezing last night. The fitness room is good enough for a short stay as is the pool. I'm actually sitting next to the pool right now and they have a handicap lift which is great if you need it. Breakfast was ok. Not a huge selection though. No big deal. The shuttle driver is awesome! Super friendly and funny. The neighborhood the hotel is in is a typical Pennsylvania neighborhood. Not bad at all. I would feel safer walking around here at night than my neighborhood!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CourtyardBethlehem, Manager at Hyatt Place Bethlehem, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay and your kind comments about Jack, our shuttle driver. We are looking forward to your next visit.
Denise

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We checked into this hotel after a long day of traveling. The room smelled bad, but we were too tired to move. I called the front desk and put them on alert that we wanted to move first thing in the morning. The next morning, I approached the front desk explained the issue and was told it because the HVAC unit by the window leaks under the rugs creating the smell. The only way to fix it is to remove the rug. She then gave me the key to another room. I told her i would preview it before moving. I didn't think it was possible but this new room smelled worse! I went through another 3 or 4 rooms before we found one barely suitable (with the least amount of moldy smell). I would have changed hotels if we had not prepaid for this hotel in advance. It was a bit out of the way to park across the street during winter. The area does sport quite a few good restaurants within walking distance. However, beware, near the hotel parking steps is a gathering spot for Bethlehem's homeless community. We were in town dropping my son off at his college, Lehigh University. I will not rebook at this hotel during my future visits.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TravelingFlightAttd
I am sincerely disappointed that we were not able to provide the experience you were seeking. we do appreciate your honest feedback and I have looked into the issue you described with our engineer.
I do hope your future travels are pleasant and safe, and congratulate your Son on his achievement of attending Lehigh University.
Incline Village, Nevada
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

I knew what to expect from past experiences at Hyatt Place in Sacramento California. These are great places to stay if you are attending tournaments. However this past weekend the one in Bethlehem was disappointing. The bathroom was not clean and the maid service never showed up one of the days. It also happened the next day to my cousin when his room did not get cleaned. When I called the desk they said that happens sometimes but did not seem too concerned about it. The faucet in the sink was also broken and the refrigerator smelled. The breakfast was not good and had dirty plates and food all around. The property felt tired and the staff seemed a bit non responsive.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandy B
I want to sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered with our housekeeping service. All rooms are to be serviced daily ( unless declined by the guest through the use of the Do Not Disturb signage) We certainly should have provided you the daily service you expected and I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Thank you for providing us with honest feedback so we can correct this issue.
New York
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We got a good price on our room by bidding blind. For the price we paid, this was a good value. Had we paid rack rate, I would not be so pleased. I had not been in this level Hyatt before, so if you expect a "normal" Hyatt....don't. It's a lower level, but still has some nice aspects. The reception (not a formal reception desk) was very nice, efficient and properly welcoming. Check out was also pleasant. The staff is consistently nice and well trained. Our room was large, with a separate area for the desk and large, flat panel TV. The bathroom setup seemed a bit odd to me. The toilet and walk in shower were in a separate (dimly lit) area. The shower head is one of those big "sunflower" types and perhaps this nicest part of the room. Outside that room was the sink. I wonder who designs and furnishes these hotels - 3-4 plugs could have been covered by furniture with a little planning. We were put on the top (6th) floor to keep us away from the teams of junior hockey teams on the lower floors (who also could not have paid rack rates). It WAS quiet. Except for the HVAC, which is pretty loud, VERY active and right next to the bed. It sounded like our electric garage door during the night and woke me several times. Breakfast and parking were included in the rate. We did not eat breakfast but it looked pretty generous. The neighborhood is a bit odd. The hotel is close to the historic part of town, but on a street with - I'm not sure what the PC term is but - not impressive housing. Parking is across the street. Somehow we got the idea there was a sky bridge. Nope. You just walk across the street, through a major bus stop. Despite a few rough spots, this is a nice hotel for the rate we paid. I would stay there again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your honest comments, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Love the new Hyatt Place hotels, and this property was pretty close to that standard - It fell just a bit short for me because the staff was mediocre. At check-in the "Gallery Host" was super busy with a crowd of people needing food and drink service, and then our group of 7 arrived. The host was clearly stressed, which made me feel like all the guests were a bother and annoyance to the employee. One evening and a couple of mornings I was needing assistance (as were others), and staff was difficult to track down. The maintenance person paused his cleaning work to go get someone from the back room. When providing assistance, staff would do the minimum - disinterested, but polite. Nonetheless, this hotel brand is one of my favorites with the large, well-equipped rooms and the breakfast offerings, and the property itself didn't disappoint...plus I loved the downtown location.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
I sincerely apologize that our team was not more available and eager to serve you and your companions. I appreciate your honest feedback and we will work on correcting the service items you mentioned.
Thank you .
Delaware
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a friend on New Years Eve (12/31/13). We had a night at the casino planned. The Hyatt ran a shuttle to and from the casino throughout the night. We got picked up and dropped off door to door. It was extremely convenient and the driver was incredibly friendly and kind! The hotel itself is beautiful and beyond worth every penny we paid ($275 including taxes and fees). I wish I could remember the name of the man who checked me in and out. He was very nice and polite. The late night woman was friendly as well, and we were able to buy little snacks when we arrived back around 3:30 am (cheesecake and cookies). The hotel was quiet and clean and the room was HUGE and very nice. Again...more than worth every penny. The beds were very comfortable. We had a sitting area with sink, counter, and mini fridge. There was a one cup coffee maker and plenty of coffee and mugs. Check out wasn't until noon, which was awesome after a late night out. The hotel itself is just off Main Street. I grew up in Bethlehem, and I can tell you this is not a bad part of town. Its right within walking distance of great bars and restaurants. We totally enjoyed our stay and are already planning to stay here again during Musikfest. I'm also planning to stay here next time I'm in town with friends. Highly recommend!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Happy 2014! We are looking forward to seeing you again for Musikfest. It will be nice to move past the snow and into the warm festival season.
With Hospitality,
ELIZABETHTOWN
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Hotel Room - We stayed in a king room and it was just as pictured on the Hyatt website, complete with a separate living room, plenty of pillows and blankets, refrigerator, ironing board and iron, hairdryer, in-room coffee maker with regular and decaf, work desk, 42" flatscreen that swivels easily between bedrrom and living room. The best part - it was spotlessly clean! The only downside to our room was a weirdly designed shower that did not have a full shower door or curtain and a shower handrail that was installed too high such that I kept banging my arm on it while showering.

Staff - Greeted with a smile by each of the 4 different front desk attendents we encountered and they were very helpful in answering our many questions. Friendly and helpful - what more can a traveler ask for from hotel staff?!

Breakfast - Simply excellent. Freshly made breakfast sandwiches (open-faced ham, cheese, spinach and tomato on a muffin), ready-made waffles, two juices, two milks, oatmeal, 6 cereal selections and the best part - the fresh fruit. One bowl of grapefruit and one bowl of grapes, pineapple, cantaloupe and honeydew. Minor downside - the setting on the display case for the fruit bowls was set too cold and a few pieces of fruit were too cold/frozen to eat.

Location - While the Hyatt is located in a less-than-scenic setting downtown, it is within easy walking distance (2 blocks) to the cute shops along Main St.

Cost - We were there on a Saturday evening between Christmas & New Years, so the AAA rate of $188 was definitely a splurge for us. The same room on a weekday goes for $125/night (AAA).

Features/amenities that we didn't use during our one night stay included a bar located right off the check-in area, a small indoor pool, and a fitness area (treadmills, essentially).

Lunch/dinner recommendations - Stations Cafe (tasty soups, sandwiches, soft pretzels) and Bethlehem Brew Works (great line of beers and excellent food) located next to each other in The Shoppes at the Main Street Commons on Main St. Please note, though, while Bethlehem Brew Works has their own restrooms, the restrooms for Stations Cafe and the remainder of the stores in Main Street Commons are located in the lower level and require a key that has to be obtained from any of the shops.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.