“Pleasant Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Reisterstown, MD
“Pleasant Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

Travelled hear with a bunch of folks on a three day two night package. Since we arrived by bus, I guess scoobsmom would refer to us as "bus people". I did not know that a person's mode of transport would be an ample description of the person. That notwithstanding the hotel staff greeted or group in a very nice and efficient way. After a short briefing on the bus, we were able to go directly to our rooms without having to stop at the front desk. Our luggage was delivered to the room by the bell staff. Our room was spacious, well appointed, with very comfortable beds. Our room was also very quiet. Once inside, you did not hear any outside noise or noise from your neighbors. The shops, casino and restaurants provided plenty of adult things to do. Leave the kids at home with a sitter.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experience with us on Trip Advisor! I am pleased to hear that you had a wonderful trip to Sands Bethlehem and that you enjoyed your overall stay.

I also wanted to take a moment to thank you for staying with us! I value your patronage and I certainly hope to host you again so that we may continue to provide you with excellent service.

Marketing Coordinator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Melville, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

2 weeks ago, we wanted to visit Philadelphia and see the Liberty Bell. We stayed at the Bethlehem Sands because it wasn't too far from Philly. Although I have been there before, I really enjoyed this trip better. We ate at an asian restaurant which I thought was delicious, can't remember the name. Now for the best part, the gambling. I found out that I had $175 in free play. I loaded $40 of free play into $1 Wheel of Fortune. Within 15 minutes I had won $575, Yippee that was my bankroll, did not have to touch my money. Although I lost it, I was able to get comped for the second night I was there. The only thing that was strange was I was able to get into the VIP room, which has food and drink, but you still had to pay $3,00 for a drink. The rooms were very well appointed and the hotel is immaculate. They do have a pool, but the pool is really small. All in all a great time was had by all. They also have a free breakfast buffet, nothing exciting, but hey it is free!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about Sands Bethlehem with us! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room, restaurants, and casino, and that your overall impression was positive. Also, I believe the restaurant you're referencing is Chopstick (the newest restaurant on property) and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the food.

Everyone at Sands Bethlehem looks forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

We wanted to try this out as something different. Glad we did. The hotel was clean and the people were nice. The pool was small but efficient. We brought our kids and there was not anything for them to do there. We took them one day to Dorney Park so this was a good hotel to stay at. Emeril's restaurant was amazing and want to go back just for the restaurant. The casino was OK. Mostly slot machines with a few tables. The outlet mall in attached so that was a nice surprise. My kids loved the peeps store. You can definitely feel an element of bus people in the casino. It was slightly unnerving so because of this we did not spend much time gambling. All in all it worked perfect for a trip to Dorney Park and staying in a nice hotel, other than that no I would go to Atlantic City to gamble.

Room Tip: The rooms are all the same no views
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank scoobsmom
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback about Sands Bethlehem with us on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that your overall impression was positive. I look forward to welcoming you back to Sands Bethlehem in the near future.

Hudson, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

The Sands in Bethlehem is quite new, but the gaming area and shopping area are not as big as I would have hoped. The gym and pool area was very small. The shops are not as "high-end" as you would find at most casinos, but we did get some GREAT deals at the DKNY store. There are table games and slots in a wide variety of values (from 1 cent slots, 5 cent slots, and 25 cent slots to dollar slots and higher value slots in a special room). The facilities are clean, the hotel rooms are a good size, the beds are comfortable, there is a standard continental breakfast, and the restaurants that we tried in the casino were good. A tip for those staying at the hotel, don't park in the casino parking. There is self-parking closer to the shops and hotel. We asked for late check-out upon our arrival and we were able to check out at 12:30 without any extra charge. The hotel was easy to find from the highway if you follow the signs that point you to the casino, but our GPS didn't know many of the new streets near the building. The downtown/college area of Bethlehem is quaint and worth a visit, so if you stay at the casino (in the more industrial side of Bethlehem) venture across one of the bridges and go over there to see the college campuses, the historical district, and for some interesting shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: We asked for late check-out upon our arrival and we were able to check out at 12:30 without any extr...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FeltriGeorge
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Thank you for choosing Sands Bethlehem as your host during your recent visit to Bethlehem, PA! We are honored to have received your insightful and thoughtful comments.

I truly appreciate that you have allowed us the opportunity to learn about your recent experience, and I also appreciate the suggestions you have provided. Please be assured that we take all feedback and suggestions seriously, and we always look into them accordingly. We all look forward to your return in the near future!

Kind Regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We live equidistant to Atlantic City and Bethlehem. We usually stay at the Borgata in A.C., but decided to check out Sands and stayed over the weekend. Overall, for a casino and hotel in Bethlehem, PA, it is a nice alternative to Atlantic City.

The hotel lobby / check-in location is different from any other hotel I've been to. We, along with a couple who came in after us, were wandering around looking for the check-in. The only thing we found was the Electronic Check In System. It turns out the check-in location is immediately to the right, when you walk in the front entrance double-doors. It isn't labeled or anything. There are just a couple of low-height desks (like the kind you have at home) with someone sitting behind them. They are not your typical high-height check-in desks, and nobody greets you when you walk in. It looked like random people sitting in a business center. It certainly DID NOT look like a front desk lobby. Hopefully I provided a good enough description so you don't have the same issues checking-in as we did.

Another quirky thing about the hotel.........The hotel has eco-friendly rooms that require you to insert your electronic key card into the "slot" on the wall in order for the lights to turn on. The "slot" is located on the wall as soon as you enter the room.

The hotel elevator works in a similar way, in that you have to insert your room key prior to selecting the floor. We didn't have any issues with this feature, but we ran into MANY confused and sometimes frustrated people on the elevators. I do think this is a great security feature, which somewhat prevents casino guests from wandering the hotel floors, if they are not staying in a room at a the hotel.

PROS:

**Everything is new, since it was just recently built
**They have slots, table games and poker
**There are several restaurants on-site, including a food court and buffet, so you can get a meal regardless of your budget.
**They have a shopping outlet, which is a nice break from gambling.
**All rooms include a refrigerator
**Free breakfast buffet is included with your stay. They don't always tell you this when you check-in, so be sure to ask.
**Rooms are spacious.
**Free Wi-fi in the hotel
**Big TVs in the rooms
**Hotel pool and fitness center included in your stay
**Concert venue has some nice, afforable performances

CONS:

**This is the only casino in the area. Unlike Atlantic City or Vegas, if you don't like the casino, there isn't another one to go to.
**If you want to eat at one of the restaurants on busy evenings (especially Friday or Saturday), be sure to make reservations a couple days in advance. The restaurants can get VERY busy, and you'll be out of luck if you don't have a reservation.
**The shopping outlet is just OK. I've seen much better outlets elsewhere.
**The doors of the hotel rooms slam shut behind you when you leave, so we heard quite a few doors slamming throughout the night. This didn't make for the best sleep.
**Hotel rooms are kinda pricey

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay at Sands Bethlehem and sharing your detailed feedback with us on Trip Advisor! I truly appreciate that you have allowed us the opportunity to learn about your recent experience, and we also appreciate the suggestions you have provided. Please be assured that we do take all comments and suggestions seriously, and I will look into them accordingly. Again, I truly appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like you, and we all look forward to your return!

Kind Regards,
NewYork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed at the Sands last evening (4/7/13). It was a first visit and we were very skeptical as a result of some of the reviews. It was absolutely fine. (didn't see any dirty bus people). We arrived around 6pm and it was a Sunday evening. Room was very clean. Bed very comfy. No problem with water pressure as indicated in some reviews. Staff was extremely friendly. Casino was not crowded which may account for why we did not feel overwhelmed by the smoke. Slots were cold, cold, cold for both myself and my husband. Hate when that happens and you just throw $20 after $20 with no action. Free continental breakfast was a plus -- the usual fare. We would return, if we are in the area.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to host you during your recent visit to Sands Bethlehem. I appreciate you reaching out to us with your concerns beforehand and I'm glad that we were able to live up to your expectations. I truly appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like you, and we all look forward to your return!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

I’ll be honest, when I heard I was going to be attending a weeklong conference at a casino in PA I was a bit worried (I've seen some intersting rural casino's). After arriving at the property I felt much better, the casino is actually much nicer than I would have imagined, the casino floor is clean and large, the rooms are well appointed and spacious. I found the check in staff to be very professional and friendly, in general everyone here was pretty nice. The fact that the hotel is located on the site of the old Bethlehem Steel Mill is pretty interesting, not your usual casino scenery! If have one complaint it is about the shower which really lacked water pressure, sorry to be picky but this is actually a big deal for us business travelers.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to visit Sands Bethlehem and share your positive experience with fellow travelers on Trip Advisor! I truly appreciate that you have so graciously allowed us the opportunity to learn about your recent experience and I also appreciate the suggestions you have provided us. I want to let you know that we are aware of the lack of water pressure in the hotel, and we are currently in the process of improving this issue immediately.

We truly appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like you, and we all look forward to your return!