“We had a really good experience”

Sands Casino Resort
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Norton, Massachusetts
“We had a really good experience”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

There have been a fair number of negative reviews of this hotel, but our experience was very positive. The staff we bumped into were all very friendly. The rooms -- our party of 4 had two adjoining rooms -- were modern, spacious and nicely furnished. Contrary to some people's experience, we didn't have any smoky smell in our rooms. And we were on the 5th floor, only one floor above the very smoky casino. I don't think it will be long before they ban smoking in the casino. That's the way all casinos are going, slowly but surely. They're finding that they don't lose business, after all. All in all, we had a very nice stay. Oh, I forgot to mention the free continental breakfast. That was a very nice feature.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you for staying at Sands Bethlehem and providing your feedback on TripAdvisor! I truly appreciate the fact that you allowed us the opportunity to learn about your recent experience. I am happy to hear that you found your accommodations to be clean and spacious and that you enjoyed the free continental breakfast, as well.

I appreciate the suggestions you have provided us. Please be assured that we take all feedback and suggestions seriously, and I will look into them accordingly. I truly appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like you, and we all look forward to your return!

Marketing Coordinator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 February 2014

A few girlfriends and I spent a Friday night here so we could relax, go to a show and have a few drinks. The price wasn't bad since we split the room four ways. The one very nice thing was that it was all connected to the event center, the casino and the shops so we never had to go outside. They were having a major problem with the computer system so we could only get one room key. This was a bit inconvenient but not terribly and the staff was always very helpful and responsive. One example is helping us get up to the floor because the elevator requires a key card. Our room key didn't work once so they came right up and helped us with a new one. The room was big and clean/bright. We had a nice view of downtown Bethlehem and looking out over 412. However, the bathroom was large - but space seemed wasted. There was no trashcan IN the bathroom only the main room. The pool area - too much of a fishbowl - everyone can see you and no hot tub. I didn't use the gym but one of the girls said it was a bit difficult to have one TV that could be so loud and taken by one person. The pillows in the room were FAR too soft. The bed was comfortable. The free continental breakfast was also quite good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Purrduedvm
SandsGuestServicesPA, Public Relations Manager at Sands Casino Resort, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the time you took to write about your visit and we are glad these items have been brought to our attention. It is disappointing to hear that your visit was not a complete success, since we strive to provide exceptional service to all of our guests.

If there is anything we can do to improve our service to you on future visits, please don't hesitate to direct message us.

Northampton, PA
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I love to visit casinos. I don't mind spending money because I enjoy playing ( usually video poker). Tonight, $350 in an hour and a half at the very smokey bar. Typical night at the Sands! This is the only casino I frequent that I can't go out with $300 and spend the night, it lasts about an hour. The place is also terribly smokey.
The restaurants are great and the mall is very nice, but don't gamble or breathe - the smoke is terrible. If you want to gamble, Showboat in AC - my same $350 would last the whole night.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank IDrinkBecks
Thank you for allowing us to learn about your recent trip to Sands Bethlehem. Your feedback is very much appreciated and is very valuable to us. I am very disappointed to hear that your visit was not a complete success, and I am sorry for the negative impact the smoke had upon your well-being, and overall experience here.

I would like to extend my sincerest apologies and I invite you to get in touch with our guest relations department as I would like an opportunity to gather more details of your visit and to do what it takes to earn your future loyalty. Please contact us by sending us a direct message so we may be able to get a better understanding of how we can improve our service to you.

Bedminster, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I took my mother-in-law over President's Day weekend to stay one night. We wanted to have a nice dinner, enjoy the casino and have a good time. We did all three of those things. The room was very clean, spacious and nice. The people were friendly and it was a very nice get away. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Maria R
Thank you for taking the time to review Sands Bethlehem on Trip Advisor! We truly appreciate that you have allowed us the opportunity to learn about your recent experience, and we're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with your family. All of us at Sands Bethlehem look forward to your return in the near future!

Flemington, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I went and stayed at the Sand's for our Valentine's Day celebration. The room was beautiful and very very clean. I liked the big bathroom that we had and the glass doored shower. We also like the mall area and walked through it a couple of times.

The casino itself was ok. The have a smoking side and nonsmoking side though. Some rude people did not follow the signs and were smoking in the nonsmoking designated area. I am early thirties and respect that people smoke. However, it did annoy me that smokers were allowed in the nonsmoking side because I stayed far into this side to stay away from the smoking areas. Also, not many tables were actually open and my boyfriend was unable to get in to play craps for the entire night. The table was just too crowded.

This was a fun trip for a one time thing or a few and far in between trip. I would not go back regularly but I would go back once in awhile for a change of pace.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for recently visiting Sands Bethlehem - we enjoyed having you as our guest! I appreciate your insightful comments, for there really is no greater way to improve our services than by receiving vital feedback from a valued guest, such as yourself. I am truly grateful that you have allowed me the opportunity to learn about your recent experience, and I also appreciate the feedback you have given future travelers on Trip Advisor. I am disappointed to learn that your visit was not a complete success, and apologize for the challenges you experienced.

If you would like to further discuss your stay with us, feel free to send us a direct message through Trip Advisor while our email systems are down.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I was basically whisked away for my birthday weekend here. I was not sure what to expect because my boyfriend booked this trip as a surprise. The property as you drive up is different, theres a old slavaged bridge with Sands written across it in neon, self parking was a task we drove around for 20 mins until we found a space, once parked the elevators to the casino were hard to come by traveling to the actual hotel property was a bit away and confusing. The check in staff were very courteous and fast got us checked in in less than 10 mins and helpful with resturant selections on the property. The room was great! spacious and clean nice king bed and modern furiniture, the view outside was cool with the town and an old buidling in the backdrop. We went to dinner at the Asian resturant and while the food was great the service was not, they seem to still be getting it together there the staff was extremely confused. Same thing happened at the sports bar servers were confused but courteous. The night club Vision was cool for PA I guess with a pretty blue modern decor. Drinks were not as great however there. Overall the trip was a cool getaway from the city for a bit. I would recommend for a short stay! :)

1 Thank Mnatalia d
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of Sands Bethlehem on Trip Advisor! I am pleased that you enjoyed our many restaurants on property and I'm happy to hear that you had a great time at Vision Bar. I am also glad that you enjoyed your accommodations and that you would choose to return for another stay.

I would like to suggest that on a future visit, you can utilize the surface parking lot located right next to the hotel and event center. It is a much shorter walk to the hotel than parking in the garage.

Thank you once again, and I hope to have the privilege of serving you on future trips to Sands Bethlehem.

Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Hubby and I went for Valentines Day weekend. We arrived early on Thursday, while in the middle of a major snow storm. Room was ready and we were able to check in right away (around 2pm). Self- Park to the hotel is quiet a distance, if you don't want to walk then use the valet.

Room was spacious and clean. I did notice some of the smoke smell in my non-smoking room. I was up on the 10th floor so I was a bit surprised by the smell. Thursday was ok, but by Saturday morning when hotel/casino was full to capacity was when I really smelled the smoke.

Eating selections were ok, a number of the restaurants were closed on Thursday due to the weather, by Friday everything was open. Casino is large, and yes smoky...but it is a casino so it is what it is. We saw the "bus people" so many reviews complain about, and honestly we did not have any problems with them. I played my slots, husband played the tables and no one bothered us.

Vision bar was OK, it little empty, but a cool place to stop in for a drink and listen to music. They even gave all the ladies a rose as we entered. Nice touch.

Overall my husband and I had a good time, it was a mini-get-a-away for us, so we just made the best out of the minor nuisances.

Room Tip: Book early, we booked about 1-2 months a head of time. Had a nice view, high floor, and end room.