“Location, location, location”

Historic Hotel Bethlehem
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Bethlehem
Reviewed 20 June 2008

We live very close to the Hotel Bethlehem but chose to spend the night after a close friends wedding reception promised to be a very late night. We were given a discount rate as the wedding family had blocked off a couple of dozen rooms. My husband and I have been coming to the hotel for several years for his company's Christmas party but this was our first time to stay over.

The rooms ARE small, and nothing special but the beds were very comfortable as were the pillows and the hotel had the usual amenities for three star hotels - coffee pot, iron and ironing board, etc. I especially liked the old fashioned bathtub and bed bath and beyond soaps and lotions. The room was clean and the bathroom looked recently renovated. We stayed on the 8th floor. Someone said that there were some smoking rooms available on the 9th floor so I was glad that we weren't put there.

Our view was pitiful, overlooking the back parking lot. If we were visiting from out of town I would have made sure to ask for a room overlooking main street, but since we would not be spending any time at all in the room except for quick changes and sleeping the view didn't matter. The room had several brochures and magazines with ideas of places to go and things to do.

The location of this hotel cannot be overstated. Main street Bethlehem is THE place to be and being able to simply walk out of the hotel and walk across the street to the Moravian bookstore (my very favorite bookstore), or down the street to the popular Brew Works is just so nice. On Sunday morning there is a very popular musical brunch in the hotels lobby where you can have a leisurely delicious meal while listening to a classical quartet.

If you are looking for a new and shiny hotel with a pool, go elsewhere but if you want a unique hotel in a great location, try the Hotel Bethlehem.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PennDale
Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed 15 May 2008

Stayed at the Hotel Bethlehem over a weekend for a wedding at the hotel. Historic downtown Bethlehem is lovely and a great place to visit for a quiet weekend stay.

The rooms are small and kind of outdated. Not really "historic", rather just old. Beds are small for US standards: only queen sized beds and doubles unless you upgrade to a suite.

Free wi-fi is provided and parking is free. Elevators are on the small side and can be painfully slow.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whisox
Reviewed 7 May 2008

The staff was very nice here and checked us in in about 3 minutes. The room was more than adequate (though it could've used a bit of touch-up paint here and there and the TV was sort of old, though there were lots of cable stations available). The beds were comfortable. The air condition/heating system worked very well. The bathroom didn't have a tub, but the shower was roomy and had plenty of immediate hot water (big sink, too). The room was very clean when we arrived. We never waited more than 30 seconds for one of the elevators. This hotel is in a really lovely area of the town. The breakfast downstairs was very good, but kind of expensive. I'd definitely stay here again. Free parking behind the hotel, too.

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank ChelseaNYC16
Reviewed 24 January 2008

I’ve stayed at the Hotel Bethlehem 4 or 5 times. Given the Hotel’s history and location, it should be fun and elegant. It’s neither. But I keep trying. The staff is always aloof and condescending and they act as if the hotel is the Oriental or the Ritz. My last stay was a disaster. They advertise that they are pet friendly, but the $125.00 pet fee seems to contradict that. When I made the reservation I was advised of only a $25.00 fee and the hotel web site Pet Policy states, “Room fee for pet guest is $25.00 per day.” The rooms they have blocked as pet rooms are the worst rooms in the hotel. At check-in my reserved King Executive Room became a tiny room with 2 doubles next to the noisy elevator. My complaint was countered by an offer to reduce my rate by $20.00. Seemed fair until I realized that even after the $20.00 discount, I was still paying more than the rack rate for the smaller room. Being treated poorly is one thing… being gouged is another. My family – and our dog – got back in the car and drove the 4 hours home. I won't try again!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank RLPM
Reviewed 5 January 2008

We tried to book via phone and was told to wait [ for 5-6 minutes] then was told leave a number ,we will call back, they didn't .Because this was a last minute plan and we were close by we just stopped in . the reception desk personel took great pains to ignore us, finially condescendingly inquireing "what can we do for you"We were offered a choice of three rooms the best being a suite, which we took [$207.00} On arrival at the room thing s got even incredibly worse . Dirty carpets with cigarette burn holes , dusty tables ,poor tv reception , and a thick smoke smell .and this was a suite!! The next morning we attempted to have breakfast seeing the steamer trays and no coffee avaible. I said to my wife ,lets stop the bleeding we're out of here. Our own fault was not taking the hint of things to come,reservation problems, poor reception and the crazed lobby atmosphere,and by not asking for a non-smoking room, though non was offered.I've been to Motel 6's [$49.95] that are superior

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank potcake8
Reviewed 31 December 2007

What a wonderful visit we had at the Hotel Bethlehem just a few days before Christmas. The hotel was beautiful and the staff so pleasant. .

Special thanks to Jen (I think) at the front desk who pointed out a really neat walking route for us to take through town. The homes and shops along historic Main Street were decorated absolutely stunning and set us in the holiday spirit.

What a great way to enjoy the holiday! Thanks all.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hockeygirl8
Reviewed 28 December 2007

With our Holiday shopping completed, we decided to spend a night in "the Christmas City" at the Hotel Bethlehem, a grand hotel located in the enter of the Historic District.

We were greeted by doormen in "Dicken's period garb" and entered into a wonderful lobby filled with holiday decorations and cheer.

Although the hotel was extremely busy with a wedding party and numerous guests in the tavern, we were welcomed by a charming desk attendant who educated us about the hotel's vibrant history....and present!

My wife & I were both impressed with the staff's entheusiasm, warm hospitality and fine appointments throughout the hotel. We knew this was a well run operation.

Later we strolled the Main Street and wandered through many shops and galleries neighboring the Hotel Bethlehem and returned for a nightcap in the lobby bar.

We had a wonderful experience in the Christmas City and at the Hotel Bethlehem and look forward to returning next year. Or sooner!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business