“Charming hotel”

Historic Hotel Bethlehem
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

The exquisite holiday decor was only the beginning of a romantic and charming stay at this hotel. The personnel from the registration desk to the housecleaning staff are pleasant and interested in your requests. Situated near unique shops and various restaurants, this is a "must go there" destination!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Hi Sandra D,

Thank you for this glowing review and for considering us a “must go there” destination! Our decorating team started putting our decorations up the first week of November and finished just in time for Thanksgiving. Our staff enjoys what they do. They do their best to ensure that our guests have everything they need for a great stay.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We hope to welcome you back soon…

Reviewed 2 December 2013

It's a lovely hotel built in the 1920s. We went on Thanksgiving and had the best time. The service was excellent, the room beautiful and comfortable, and the ambiance of the lobby and indoor balcony was relaxed and elegant.

We had no trouble adjusting the heating, and room 924 with two beds was perfect- we could look out the window and see the star as well as some of the main street and the Moravian Church. There was also a bathtub in that room, which was nice (not all rooms have bathtubs).

I love learning about the history of buildings and of towns, and Bethlehem and the hotel have a lot of interesting history to tell. I am so thankful to those who saved this special historic building, and I also appreciate people who choose to stay at a quality place like this and support the local history, culture, and economy rather than going to a chain hotel like Comfort Suites.

The reason I gave it only 4 stars is because I wasn't super fond of the food in the Tap Room. I didn't see anything that was organic and local, and they didn't have many gluten-free vegetarian options. They also had a big screen TV which was tacky, in my opinion. But the other restaurant in the hotel, 1741, doesn't have a TV, and has a gorgeous interior and a menu with local, organic foods (it was closed on Thanksgiving evening so we didn't get to try it).

Put your money where the culture is! You'll definitely enjoy Historic Hotel Bethlehem which is situated right in the beautifully historic, walkable downtown. I hope it will still be here for our children's children to someday enjoy it too.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 9th floor (top floor). Great view of the star! Quiet. We chose between room #703 a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Hi hellopiper,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We have a very rich history and we released a book this year that Chronicles the complete history of the Hotel from its inception up to today. I would like to apologize for our miscommunication regarding our menu in the Tap Room. I spoke with our Executive Chef and he informed me that we do have several gluten free and vegetarian options on the menu, however they are not noted. We are having our menus reprinted to denote all of the Gluten free options available. We also locally source all of our meats and produce in both restaurants to provide the freshest ingredients for our guests.

Thank you again! We hope to see you soon…

Reviewed 1 December 2013

There are many good things about this hotel. Number one, is the location. It's ideal for shopping and touring most of the local attractions. The hotel itself has some great historic features. The room was clean and housekeeping was great. The bed was comfortable. I was able to adjust the heat. People that work there are very friendly. That being said, I do have a couple of complaints. I was saddened because I requested a view looking south over the valley and toward the star, that didn't happen ( I was staying 2 nights). I reminded them when I checked in that I requested that and no response was given. I booked an executive king suite. It's odd that when I emailed the hotel several months back to ask for a quote using AAA or AARP, they only gave me one quote which was higher than what I found booking the hotel through the National Trust for Historic Preservation's website ( it's an Historic Hotel of America) I got all kind of rooms and rates. We are members of the the hotel, I asked about making Thanksgiving dinner reservations at the restaurant. The reply was that they would copy my email to the restaurant. I never did hear from them. I did call (several times) and try to make a reservation but it was maybe too late, there was a back and forth with phone calls and I finally just gave up. I'm kind of glad I did because when we checked in, diners were right next to the front desk in the lobby.
All in all, because of the location and the cleanliness of the room I would recommend it, with the caveat that it's not the greatest with communication.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi NJgirlonthego,

Thank you! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your review. It is because of our guest feedback that we are able to recognize trends or issues and rectify them. We are pleased to hear that you were happy with your room and found everyone was friendly. I would like to apologize for the service shortfalls that you did encounter before and during your stay. We do our best to honor requests for rooms with specific views unfortunately we are not able to guarantee them. We are sorry that we were not able to accommodate your request in providing you a view of the South Mountain and the Bethlehem Star. We do offer some room rates that are exclusive only to the Historic Hotels of America website and its members. With that said our reservations team does everything they can to ensure that you are getting the best available rate when you contact us directly. I have shared your comments in regard to our restaurant reservations with the Director of Restaurant Operations. She is reviewing the call back protocol with her reservations team to ensure that everyone is receiving a call back in a timely manner.

Thank you again! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Visit for the Holidays the go all out and decorate every portion of the hotel. We enjoyed walking through to see the trees and beautiful architecture.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Charming hotel, lovely setting, very comfortable and well appointed room. Hotel and room service staff were very friendly. Some frustrations with overwhelmed lobby restaurant staff - but we understand that we were there during their busiest weekend of the year, Thanksgiving. Bethlehem is The Christmas City and the hotel is in the heart of the picturesque Christmas market on Main Street. Only real problem was the the inability to control heating in the room - we sweltered at what must have been 90 degrees or more at night. Cameron at the front desk sent an engineer to look at the thermostat, and it was fixed. Excellent housekeeping staff. Only hotel we'll stay at in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Phineas55

Hi Phineas55,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to apologize for the service shortfalls that you did experience while you were with us. I am happy that our engineer was able to quickly rectify the issue with the heat in your room. I have also shared your comments with our Director of Restaurants so she can reevaluate our staffing levels for the same week next year.

Thank you for making us the only hotel that you will stay at when you are in the area. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 29 November 2013

My husband and I go to Bethlehem every year to enjoy the beautiful town at Christmas time. We had stayed last year and had the romance package. The room was beautiful and everything that you need set up in the room (choc. strawberries, champagne) We chose this hotel first for the charm but it was close to the Christkindlemkt or so we thought. They had moved it but the shuttle takes you to the casino and you can walk to the Market from the casino. Our room had a marvelous view of the Bethlehem star!. We ate in the 1741 and the service was outstanding and the butternut soup is a must to try. Didn't think I would like it, but a must try!! Breakfast was just as good! The best time to go is Christmas time, the streets are lined and decorated! You will not be sorry!

Room Tip: either choose a room looking out onto the streets or the Bethlehem star
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi CLARA G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to have you both as loyal and regular guests. As you know we are in the heart of the Christmas City. Christmas in Bethlehem is truly a one of a kind experience. Christmas is our time to shine. The Hotel is completely decorated for Christmas by Thanksgiving each year. We also have a self-guided tour through the hotel for our Decorations. The Romance package is our most popular. Christkindlmarkt is no longer right behind the hotel. It is just a short drive away now. The Hotel co-sponsors a complimentary Trolley for people visiting downtown Bethlehem that would like to go to Christkindlmarkt. Our rooms overlooking the South Mountain offer fantastic views of the Bethlehem Star. The Butternut Squash soup is a must try! I did not think I would like it either but once I tried it I loved it. It is now my favorite soup on our menu.

Thank you again! We look forward to welcoming you and your Husband back next year!

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Clean and comfortable rooms but a bit aggravating. Only one outlet in the bathroom so we had to move a bedside table and unplug the lamp and alarm clock to plug in the hair dryer. The HVAC didn't work very well. We couldn't get the room cool enough to be comfortable.. Sweated all night when it was 20 degrees outside. And be prepared to explain to the parking attendant what you are doing there every single time you come in the entrance. The parking is behind the entrance with no rear entry so plan on getting wet while you walk all the way around the building to your car. I won't be back

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Doug S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I would like to apologize for your less than perfect experience. We truly appreciate your feedback. It assists us in identifying and rectifying any issues that we may not have been aware of. We have shared your comments with our Chief Engineer and Front Office Manager. Our Chief Engineer is working to ensure that our HVAC systems in our guest rooms are all functioning properly and our Front Office Manager is now providing all of our guests with car tags so our parking attendants are able to easily identify hotel guests without having to stop them each time they enter.

If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail our General Manager Dennis Costello would be more than happy to do so. He may be reached at 610-625-2201 or DCOSTELLO@HOTELBETHLEHEM.COM