“Beautiful Dinner Party”

Historic Hotel Bethlehem
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Bethlehem
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We had organized a large family dinner party (30 people) on December 7, 2013 with the help from Kathleen Brown. It was absolutely amazing and my family is still raving about the delicious gourmet food, top notch service, beautifully decorated historic hotel and extremely accommodating staff. From soup to nuts, Kathleen and her staff made sure we were all comfortable, happy and without want. Kathleen's suggestion to have a buffet dinner in the lobby terrace was exactly what we needed to accommodate a private party with eleven children! The kids had space to move around and the adults were able to enjoy dinner and drinks without worry of disturbing other diners. I have already recommended the Hotel Bethlehem to friends looking for a beautiful place to stay and dine. Thank you for your patience, excellent advice and outstanding service Ms. Brown. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Hi KristinMalone3,

Thank you for choosing to host your family’s dinner party with us! We also appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It is great to hear that everyone enjoyed themselves. Kathleen and her team take great pride in ensuring that everyone is taken care of. The Terrace lobby is a beautiful place for dinner especially now that we are decorated for Christmas.

Thank you! We hope to see you soon…

Write a ReviewReviews (1,024)

Reviewed 10 December 2013

What a wonderful hotel. Great around the Christmas season it's beautiful. The staff is first rate. With a smile everywhere you go. Food and drinks were excelllent. Close to great shops

Room were clean and comfortable

Would return in a heart beat
Thanks

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Edward K,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel. The Christmas season is our time to shine. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the Hotels Christmas decorations.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope to welcome you back soon…

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I had made reservations two-three months in advance for a weekend getaway. I picked a package deal they offered and included in this package were a couple tickets to the steel stacks tour, passes through history tour, two breakfasts and a dinner for two in the 1741 Restaurant. The Hotel undoubtedly is beautiful. Decorated to the hilt for the holiday. We had planned this weekend for a year knowing we wanted to stay at this hotel because of the Christmas city experience etc. Check in was fine our room was nice, clean, but there were issues in the bathroom, broken tile in the shower and a broken ring back of the toilet. No big deal didn't bother me at all but I mention it now because when thinking about the over- all experience at $250.00 per night you shouldn't have that, at least I don't think so. They first night was miserable out so we just stayed in. Couldn't get near the bar because everyone from the street flooded the lobby and it was wall to wall people. They have a ballroom off of the lobby that was hosting a private party so those people spilled into the lobby as well. Ok so off to our rooms to wait for Saturday. We have passes for 2 for breakfast. We were not informed at the time of check in or when we made our reservations for our stay that reservations for breakfast were a must. We found that out when asked by the hostess, no problem she seated us anyway. 15 - 20 minutes go by no one asked if we would like coffee. I flagged down a waitress who was very pleasant and apologetic, no problem I said. We got our coffee... and were forgotten again.. so once again I flagged down our waitress and she took our order, apologized, I said no problem. 30 minutes later we get our food and it was really good, wrong toast but no problem. People around us were getting wrong orders or no food so I felt lucky. Our day went on we did our tours. A week before we arrived I had emailed Brie from Reservations and she told me that she would make our dinner reservations at the hotel restaurant that was included in our package.. AT no time with on the phone, email, website confirmations, was there mention of a pre-fix dinner menu if you got the package deal. It states dinner for 2 at 1741 restaurant, that's it. So I made reservations with brie for 7pm Saturday night. Please see the following:
Good Morning Ms. Rivera,
I apologize for the run-around and confusion. The times for the walking tours are available on the Historic Bethlehem website At the top, you'll see "Museums and Tours." Then, click "Historic Walks."
Our fine dining restaurant opens at 5pm. Your walks should be taking place earlier in the day. What time would you like dinner? I will make the reservation for you.Thank You,Brie,Reservations Second email she forgot to ask me what day: Ms. Rivera, No worries! I didn't think to ask you that the first time. You are all set. We will see you this weekend! Best,Brie ReservationsHistoric Hotel Bethlehem. So we also have tickets for a free drink so we figure we will go to the bar and get a drink before our dinner. The lobby is even more packed than the night before, everyone is off the street at the bar. So we wait for the bartenders attention, and wait and waive, and wait. So 15 minutes Kathleen a manger says we have another bar set up over there{ pointing at the other end of the lobby] no waiting, so we go over there, but there's no bartender so we wait and wait, I go back over to try to find Kathleen and can't find her through the sea of people. Finally a server comes up and goes behind the make shift bar and we ask her for the special beer a pumpkin something or other and a moscato wine, she says she doesn't have that it's a limited bar and guess what? They can't take the tickets we have for our drink. So we tell her how long we waited at the other bar then to be told to come over her eto find out we cant get what we want and they wont honor our ticket. Well, tehe server said again an apologie and we chose a house zinfandel and a coors light. So then after our drinks its now 6;45 we head upstairs to our dinner reservations... guess what? Our name is not on ther reserve list, I promptly said well then there is a problem I have emails stating they were made. So I need a table another apologie and then we were seated. We were given these beautiful leather bound menu's wonderful!! Was really looking forward to the diner... the hostes then asked excuse me are you staying here on a package deal I said yes we are, she said well I'm sorry {another apology} I gave you the wrong menu, ok now I am getting angry you have got to be kidding! So she hands us this pice of paer... obviously it's a pre-fixed menu she then said well it's the same thing minus the cod fish, which is not true, I can't eat seafood and most of the choices on the new paper menu were fish except for a filet minon but that was an extra $15 if you wanted that.. Ok I had enough I called over Kathy the manager and explained the breakfast issues the bar issues and now the dinner issues. I was angry. She was apologetic again no surprise everyone apologizes here. She did offer us a bottle of wine which we really didn't want but that was appreciated it was a nice gesture. We only want good service. She told us we could order off the main menu so we were given back our leather bound menu's. Ok so the waitress who was made aware of our issues came by apologized and promised we would be taken care of. So we look at the menu we decide on 1 rib eye steak and 1 ny strip yumm... she informs us that they don't have either.. so we get the fillet minon, we ordered salads, mine was good but my husband's he ordered without anchovies, it came with anchovies, so we told the waitress, another apology, and 20 minutes later he gets his salad minus anchovies.. All is good, 25 minutes after salads were done we finally get out steaks they were really good. They cannot use the excuse the restaurant was busy because there were empty tables. So I asked the waitress for rolls and butter, she comes back 10 minutes later with butter but says the rolls are still baking ok I said. ½ hur after our dinner was done we are waiting for our rolls that never appeared. She comes back to our table and takes our butter, no apology this time for no rolls. She asks if we would like desert, sure why not, we ordered. My husband and I also ordered coffee his with a shot of bailey's, he got his coffee I didn't get mine and 15 minutes later I asked the waitress for the baileys another apology and 5 minutes later she returns with a shot of baileys' for cold coffee. Mind you we have not gotten our deserts yet. So we asked about that as well, another apology, I told the waitress hell we are used to it, it seemed to us that if you get the packages they offer you are deemed unworthy of service. Now I am very angry. I spent $250.00 per night for this I could have went anywhere else and gotten better service. We got our deserts finally. We gave a nice tip to the waitress only because it was Christmas and I didn't want to stiff the girl out of a tip some stuff was her fault but most was not. We stepped away from the table at 8:47 1 hour and 45 minutes to eat dinner was absolutely ridiculous when there were tables of 6 that came in after us and were done before us. I will not stay there again. Kathleen asked us on the way out of the restaurant how everything was I was too pissed off to go into it only to hear yet another apology, I was just done. By Kathleen earlier it's the busiest season..well if you're a 100+ year old hotel which is smack in the middle of Bethlehem the Christmas city then you should know by now how to handle it. We have yet to have a drink at the bar in the hotel that we paid a god price to stay at. I will not give a good review I am really disappointed and will send a copy of this letter to the hotel management as well. The bad service also continued into the next morning at breakfast again. We just left it at that. I feel the food service is terribly mismanaged, you have waiters bussing tables and no one knows what the others are doing.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear jezzieo7,

Unfortunately, it appears that we dropped the ball on many fronts in our restaurant operations despite our Hotel focus on superior customer satisfaction. The Hotel takes on a completely different character during the holidays as well as during festivals at other times of the year. While we would like to think that we continue to provide the same level of service during these busy times we clearly did not meet that standard during your stay with us.

We are reviewing all of our package procedures to ensure no surprises occur going forward and using your letter as a case study with our staff regarding exceeding customer expectations.

Thank you for highlighting areas for our attention. We hope you would give us another opportunity to demonstrate our true capabilities.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Our department of 30+ people holds an annual overnight event every December. This year we selected the Hotel Bethlehem as our destination and it did not disappoint! Jenny, our event coordinator, was more than accommodating (and quite patient with all of our last minute changes!). The overall level of service was fantastic, the rooms comfortable, and the food tasty. Our event went off without a hitch. I would highly recommend the Hotel Bethlehem to other travelers, whether it be for a personal stay or a business meeting!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Hi mlh291,

Thank you for choosing us for your annual corporate event! We are happy to hear that you and everyone enjoyed everything while you were here. Jenny is an asset to our team. She is the best at what she does. I will definitely pass your comments along to her.

Thank you again! We hope to see you all soon…

Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

The exquisite holiday decor was only the beginning of a romantic and charming stay at this hotel. The personnel from the registration desk to the housecleaning staff are pleasant and interested in your requests. Situated near unique shops and various restaurants, this is a "must go there" destination!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Sean L, Manager at Historic Hotel Bethlehem, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Hi Sandra D,

Thank you for this glowing review and for considering us a “must go there” destination! Our decorating team started putting our decorations up the first week of November and finished just in time for Thanksgiving. Our staff enjoys what they do. They do their best to ensure that our guests have everything they need for a great stay.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We hope to welcome you back soon…

Reviewed 2 December 2013

It's a lovely hotel built in the 1920s. We went on Thanksgiving and had the best time. The service was excellent, the room beautiful and comfortable, and the ambiance of the lobby and indoor balcony was relaxed and elegant.

We had no trouble adjusting the heating, and room 924 with two beds was perfect- we could look out the window and see the star as well as some of the main street and the Moravian Church. There was also a bathtub in that room, which was nice (not all rooms have bathtubs).

I love learning about the history of buildings and of towns, and Bethlehem and the hotel have a lot of interesting history to tell. I am so thankful to those who saved this special historic building, and I also appreciate people who choose to stay at a quality place like this and support the local history, culture, and economy rather than going to a chain hotel like Comfort Suites.

The reason I gave it only 4 stars is because I wasn't super fond of the food in the Tap Room. I didn't see anything that was organic and local, and they didn't have many gluten-free vegetarian options. They also had a big screen TV which was tacky, in my opinion. But the other restaurant in the hotel, 1741, doesn't have a TV, and has a gorgeous interior and a menu with local, organic foods (it was closed on Thanksgiving evening so we didn't get to try it).

Put your money where the culture is! You'll definitely enjoy Historic Hotel Bethlehem which is situated right in the beautifully historic, walkable downtown. I hope it will still be here for our children's children to someday enjoy it too.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 9th floor (top floor). Great view of the star! Quiet. We chose between room #703 a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Hi hellopiper,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We have a very rich history and we released a book this year that Chronicles the complete history of the Hotel from its inception up to today. I would like to apologize for our miscommunication regarding our menu in the Tap Room. I spoke with our Executive Chef and he informed me that we do have several gluten free and vegetarian options on the menu, however they are not noted. We are having our menus reprinted to denote all of the Gluten free options available. We also locally source all of our meats and produce in both restaurants to provide the freshest ingredients for our guests.

Thank you again! We hope to see you soon…

Reviewed 1 December 2013

There are many good things about this hotel. Number one, is the location. It's ideal for shopping and touring most of the local attractions. The hotel itself has some great historic features. The room was clean and housekeeping was great. The bed was comfortable. I was able to adjust the heat. People that work there are very friendly. That being said, I do have a couple of complaints. I was saddened because I requested a view looking south over the valley and toward the star, that didn't happen ( I was staying 2 nights). I reminded them when I checked in that I requested that and no response was given. I booked an executive king suite. It's odd that when I emailed the hotel several months back to ask for a quote using AAA or AARP, they only gave me one quote which was higher than what I found booking the hotel through the National Trust for Historic Preservation's website ( it's an Historic Hotel of America) I got all kind of rooms and rates. We are members of the the hotel, I asked about making Thanksgiving dinner reservations at the restaurant. The reply was that they would copy my email to the restaurant. I never did hear from them. I did call (several times) and try to make a reservation but it was maybe too late, there was a back and forth with phone calls and I finally just gave up. I'm kind of glad I did because when we checked in, diners were right next to the front desk in the lobby.
All in all, because of the location and the cleanliness of the room I would recommend it, with the caveat that it's not the greatest with communication.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi NJgirlonthego,

Thank you! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your review. It is because of our guest feedback that we are able to recognize trends or issues and rectify them. We are pleased to hear that you were happy with your room and found everyone was friendly. I would like to apologize for the service shortfalls that you did encounter before and during your stay. We do our best to honor requests for rooms with specific views unfortunately we are not able to guarantee them. We are sorry that we were not able to accommodate your request in providing you a view of the South Mountain and the Bethlehem Star. We do offer some room rates that are exclusive only to the Historic Hotels of America website and its members. With that said our reservations team does everything they can to ensure that you are getting the best available rate when you contact us directly. I have shared your comments in regard to our restaurant reservations with the Director of Restaurant Operations. She is reviewing the call back protocol with her reservations team to ensure that everyone is receiving a call back in a timely manner.

Thank you again! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.