“Concert Good, Venue Not!”

Sands Bethlehem Event Center
Ranked #8 of 44 things to do in Bethlehem
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We drove 170 miles here to see Moody Blues for probably the final time. Weren't sure whether the venue was inside or not. Turned out to be not. The Steel Stage, as it's known, is in the area but not inside. That was fine as far as the weather, a very pleasant, balmy night with an eventual breeze, just right for an evening's music. The setup, however, was awful. Even Wolf Trap with its hard, rigid little seats and multiple, non-lit steps was better than this. Here they set up rows of small, rigid seats ( with no padding or arm dividers) in rows which were bolted together and then set so that each head was directly behind the last person's, so that my view was obstructed the whole time, not by someone standing up in front of me, as is usually the case, but by the woman in front of me constantly bobbing her head and body from side to side. Her companion, a tall man even when seated, kept weaving his head to see around the head in front of his, which of course causes a chain reaction all the way down the row. Also, the ample lady next to me, who was delightful when I talked to her during the bands' 30 minute intermission, was rocking and thumping her hands and feet the whole show, so that because of the seats being bolted to each other, caused me to be jostled in my seat for each beat of every song. I can't say enough how thoughtless this attached row system is and although I guess it is convenient to store and transport this type of seating, it is massively inconvenient to sit in, not to mention expensive. We would have been better off getting seats in the permanent bleachers that night and I wish that I had bought those instead for this show, but I don't ever plan to go back there. And what they charged for tickets wasn't cheap. Oh, and the finishing touch, when I did get up to find a restroom, about 1,000 other people had the same idea and the line to use the few port o potties that they had set up stretched all the way back into the entrance to the concert venue, which had another clot of people wandering in every direction. Upon seeing this mess I gave up, never to return.

3  Thank travelkitty50
"no bad seats"
"both sides"
"great concert"

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This weekend was the second time that we enjoyed this venue. Both times we stayed at the Sands because it was very convenient with many good food options, free drinks on the casino floor and an awesome room. The Event Center is small enough so every seat is a good one. We got an on-line deal to see George Lopez for $110.00 which included two great seats in a suite area on the side (second level), unlimited beer and wine (good selections) and snacks which included a variety of fresh wraps, fried dumplings and chips and salsa. The venue has a state of the art sound system, easy access to all locations and is complimented by very friendly and professional staff and free parking. Topped with dinner at one of Emeril's restaurants and plenty of outlet shopping in the Sands, the decision to come here to see a show is always an easy one.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Jeff Dunham had a great exchange with the audience in his hilarious show. I would go see him and his family of puppet personalities again. My wife purchased the suite seating for my birthday which are in the balcony and had a great view. Three screens help those further back. The suite deal included wrap sandwiches, nacho chips, a pretzel arrangement and possibly more that I didn't see. We're glad we had dinner beforehand. Also unlimited beer, wine, water, and soft drinks.
Dunham proudly picked on Bethlehem, the run down steel mill and the Phillies which the locals loved!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were all excited to see Jeff Dunham, some in our group had seem him before but first time for some. We were sooooooooooooo disappointed in our seating. We ended up on the floor left rear . There is no evaluation to the floor so as soon as a taller people sat down,the show was over to be able to see Jeff in the far distance. Their big screens were to small to read for some of his jokes. And then there was the sound. When Jeff used some of his softer voices we couldn't hear and then next thing you heard all around is what did he say so we missed the next joke. We won't be back to this venue unless we could get front row seats or sit on the sides were the angled seats and elation probably had a better sight lines. Jeff show also was shorter then we have seen before and too much about selling in little Jeff doll but over all he was entertaining and my Aunt who never saw him live had fun dispite the poor seating.

1  Thank Cookincath
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I never attended a comedy show in person, so I experienced it for the first time seeing Jeff Dunham at the Sands in Bethlehem PA. Since this is a review of the Sands, and not Jeff, I'll focus on the venue. The seating is great to watch an entertainer. It is not large, so you get to really experience what is going on. The center seats are folding chairs, but not with hard seats. so it's not as bad as you would think. Typical food/drinks are served - at (usual) high prices ($3 for a bottle of water). A bar is there that sells "adult-style" refreshments. Free parking is available. I'd suggest you arrive early to be guaranteed a parking spot - the event center shares the parking lots with the Sands Hotel. For me, this is a better option to drive to instead of going downtown Philly (yes, I know, the city provides more entertainment). I will be checking the Sands website to see what other shows I might want to attend in the future. Oh by the way - the Jeff Dunham show was awesome!