“Very nice, by Bethlehem standards”

The Sayre Mansion Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Bethlehem B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The problem with staying overnight in Bethlehem is that there are so few decent hotel choices to begin with. We have stayed at the Hotel Bethlehem, which is historic but where the rooms are really dated, and we've stayed at the Sands, which is new but where the room are decorated in what I can only call inexpensive and impersonal. On this most recent trip, my wife and I decided to try the Sayre Mansion which, if nothing else, was different at least. The people are very nice and the bedding is very comfortable but there is only so much you can do with a building as old as this without doing major renovations. When our upstairs neighbor flushed their toilet, we heard the water rushing through the pipes. When they walked across their room we heard the creak of every floorboard. When people passed by in the hallway we felt part of their conversations. If you are used to a Bed and Breakfast experience, these little things will probably not bother you. If you are expecting quiet luxury though, you will not find it here. Still, by Bethlehem standards, it was fine.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front get a lot of street noise. Ask for a room facing the back for something quiet...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BruceSXM
There are newer reviews for The Sayre Mansion Inn

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Loved staying at this inn with its historic charm and beautiful architecture. The common rooms are welcoming and breakfasts delicious. The staff are friendly and accommodating. It is situated on a hill overlooking the town and easy to get to both sides of the river. Our room had a comfortable king bed, lots of windows, comfortable armchairs and a very ornate ceiling. So cozy to come back to after a day out in the chilly fall weather.

Room Tip: We had a room on the back of the inn, which did not have a view overlooking the town, but it faced w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank claudine53
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Our son and daughter-in-law had their wedding reception here. We spent two nights at the mansion. The room was beautiful. The staff was great. The breakfast was very, very good. If you are looking for a nice, quiet hotel this is the place. If you like to gamble the casino is quite close.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jadams1016
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had a nice stay at the Sayre during a recent family reunion. I will be forthcoming in saying that the bed and breakfast scene is not my deal. But, I must say that this was a nice place. The staff was amazing, friendly and helpful. The room (#26) was nice with comfy beds. The bathroom was clean and adequate. The breakfast in the morning was pretty good. However, two of us don't eat pork, which cut out almost every hot item. The fruit and bakery items were nice. In the end, I'm not quite sure the $250 price tag was worth it; but if bed and breakfasts are your thing, I think you would be pretty pleased with this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Frances D
Reviewed 1 August 2013

From the moment I called and made my reservation, I had really good feelings about the Sayre. The lady on the phone was welcoming and helpful and got me excited for our stay there. My husband and I were taking our 15 year old son and his cousin to get their Advanced Scuba Certification at Dutch Springs, a short drive from the Sayre. They made take out breakfasts for them both days, printed out directions for us, made restaurant recommendations, refrigerated food we got at the Allentown Farmer's Market, and were generally as cheerful and accomodating as can be.
Our room (34) was perfect in that it had a separate alcove with a single bed. We were able to fit the rollaway cot in there as well, so they had their space and we had ours. The room was much larger than most rooms at inns, and this wasn't even one of their suites! Air conditioning was perfect, there are bottle water fountains on each floor, and the double bed... we couldn't believe how comfortable it was.
Breakfasts were delicious, Bethlehem is a fascinating historic city, and we had a thorougly enjoyable stay. We will definitely return to the Sayre.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sallylou98
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

My husband sister & I only stayed one night but so glad we did. Dana did a wonderful job of welcoming us & giving us ideas for dinner & calling for reservations. HAd a nice rollaway bed for an extra person . Cost $140. But with the scrumptious breakfast well worth it, fresh fruit, French toast or omlet. Walked around town & saw the remains of the old steel plants . Lehigh Universty pretty place to walk around

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank marygrace58
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I grew up in the Lehigh Valley and drove past Sayre Mansion hundreds upon hundreds of times - (I even took a courses at Lehigh U.) but never really paid attention to the Mansion. I knew it was there, but never knew what it really was. Regardless, my husband and I had one night to get away to celebrate our 15th anniversary while we visited family in the area. Our little ones stayed with family and, for the first time in nearly 4 years (!) we had a night away from our kids. Obviously, that put us in a good frame of mind.

Sayre Mansion is in a great location - a very short ride to downtown Bethlehem, Moravian Central Church, the casino, the Stacks, Lehigh U, and so on. We stayed in room 12 which is on the main floor and kind of out of the way - we wanted quiet. It was! The AC was a bit loud, but it did keep the room comfortable. The decor is individual to each room. Although it had a lived-in feel, I kind of prefer that to the sterile-style of updated hotels. The bed was comfortable. The room was very large, with a desk, fireplace, and leather love seat. The TV was small. The bathroom had a pedestal sink, toilet, and corner shower. Nice bath products.

Breakfast was very nice and included in the room fee. Served in the dining room, there was fruit salad, tea, coffee, yogurt, cereal, danishes, juice - all self-serve, plus you could order what you wanted from the kitchen - we got eggs and bacon and toast and it was very nice.

We did try to check in a couple hours early, but were not able to (fair enough - we just turned up). We had a lovely time.

Room Tip: Definitely use the descriptions on the Sayre Mansion Inn website. Rooms vary in rates depending on l...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple