“Excellent Food!”
Review of The Bayou

The Bayou
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bayou is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 352 Restaurants in Bethlehem
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Barbecue, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Food!”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We were fortunate to visit The Bayou last Saturday (my husband, myself, and our 1 year old).

I love the New Orleans inspired menu. I started with the curried sweet potato soup - delicious and little spicy! I also sampled my son's hand-cut french fries - very good also. Next, for my entree I had the Barbecue Shrimp and jalapeño cheddar grits. This was listed as a large plate in the menu, but it wasn't very filling - I'll probably order it again because it was my favorite thing I tried that night. My husband had the steak - also not very filling. So, we ordered a mac & cheese to share between us and our son. It was in a small skillet and had sweet peas and bacon in it. My 1 year old LOVED it. I would definitely recommend this as a good food option for kids.

Dessert-wise, my husband and son had a peanut butter mousse - definitely enough to share. I had a cocktail that sounded dessert-y "Fools Rush In". It was tasty. I also had the jalapeño margarita while we were there. Both drinks had a LOT of ice in them, but were very good. Also, they have an extensive draft beer selection.

Besides the food, our experience was this: We got there early-ish for dinner (5:40). We entered the side door by the bar, and the place was loud and packed. I saw no hostess, so I asked my husband to check the other door, which I suspected might be the main entrance also. No hostess there either. We flagged down a waitress, and she retrieved the hostess for us. After the initial confusion, we ended up waiting only about 20-30 minutes to be seated (the wait time was 1.5 hours when we called the night before - so, not bad). They have a nice comfortable area to wait - although I assume that area gets filled quickly! Also, worth noting, it is a small restaurant and they ran out of high chairs - they luckily allowed us to bring in and park our stroller next to the table, which worked out fine. Next time, I will make sure I put a booster seat in the car, just in case.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Finally great food in the Lehigh Valley!”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We tried The Bayou on a Sunday night. This resturant does not accept reservations, but luckily we got right in. The resturant is beautiful with it's exposed brick and Southern style lighting fixtures. This place is very loud and alive, I do not recommend for a romantic date night. We started off with the jalapeño grits, which had a nice spiciness to them. They were good, but come in a huge bowl, be ready to share these. My husband had the charred shrimp which included three shrimp over greens. He said they were very good, but for three shrimp a bit pricey. We then moved to the entrees. I got the fried chicken with sweet mashed potatos and bread and butter pickles. All I can say is this was some of the best fried chicken I have ever had! Crispy white meat that literally melted in your mouth. My husband had the oyster po boy which he describes as tender breaded oysters on a fresh baguette roll about 6 inches long. For dessert we shared the beignets, which is fried dough with powdered sugar. The Bayou served it with this delish maple cream sauce. We also ordered drinks which were good , but I will say a little on the weak side for $9.00 each. All in all this was one of the best meals I have eaten in the Lehigh Valley in a long time. I highly recommend this place, check it out!! I will definitely be returning!

erkoape
“Great energy ”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

A long wait for table but well worth it. Everything was delicious, including the drinks and the atmosphere. Can't wait to return!

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Hawthorne House has risen from the ashes as The Bayou.”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We have been waiting for this location to re-open since the previous owner felt the need to light the place on fire. Well, I can tell you the wait is over and the owners have a masterpiece on their hands. The staff comes from other establishments in the Lehigh Valley and they really know what they're doing! Beautiful surroundings, great atmosphere and lots of energy. The food is fantastic! Po-boys, grits, gumbo, fried chicken and, best of all, beignets for dessert. Can't wait to go back for some mac n cheese.