“Yes and No”
Review of The Bayou

The Bayou
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bayou is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 348 Restaurants in Bethlehem
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Barbecue, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Yes and No”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is a new restaurant and I am very ambivalent about the place. I LOVE the atmosphere. The bathroom is beautiful -- I would love to have that exact bathroom in my house. The bar area looks great. The tables are trendy. The walls are beautiful. The patio looked very romantic. They play a trendy jazz music in the background that is pleasant.

I also love the theme -- upscale Southern food. It is a nice idea.

I ordered the chicken wings and didn't like them at all. The meat was fall-off-the-bone which normally would be good for meat, but is awkward for eating wings. The sauce was not great either. Overall, the worst wings I have had, We also ordered the hush puppies and they were okay -- cooked a little too long in my opinion and I did not particularly like the sauce. The mixed drinks were average but too sugary. We had coffee that I didn't like and some dessert that was average.

I feel like this place has great potential. The atmosphere is perfect and I believe they can make some really amazing food, but I didn't get to see it. I would maybe try the place again for dinner and see if their regular food is better than the appetizers we ordered, but it was pricey enough that I might not bother (two appetizers, two mixed drinks, one dessert and two coffees = $50)

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bayoulicios!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Great Service, Delicious Food and Drinks were excellent! My favorite drink: Jalapeño Margarita.
I had the oxtails for dinner and they were exquisite!
Can't wait to go back!

• Visited July 2014
Suffield, Connecticut
“Friendly and delicious”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We were traveling with our dog and needed a dinner place that would allow our dog to join us. I called The Bayou and asked if they had outdoor seating, they did and welcomed us and our dog. The patio is gorgeous such a nice place to sit and have dinner. My husband and I saw many interesting items on the menu so we ordered a few appetizers and small plate entrees and shared. The wait staff was fantastic, the food was outstanding and the patio was the perfect place to dine.

Visited August 2014
Belvidere, New Jersey
“It doesn't get any better”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We have only one regret, that we are not cows, with four stomachs, so we could have eaten the whole menu at once! I found this restaurant on Trip Advisor and it is great feeling not to be disappointed esp. since my husband and I went there to celebrate my birthday. Everything about this restaurant is top-notch. The food was unbelievably outstanding. the service just attentive and helpful enough; the decor trendy in a comfortable way (though the Ladies Room could use a hook :) The menu is so exciting, with perfectly balanced flavors, new takes in many cases on classics that really, really work, are not just some chef straining to come up with something new. It doesn't hurt I guess that they cure thier own bacon, smoke thier own meats, make thier own sauce etc. So great care is given to details. AND, the prices are affordable (please don't change!). We had the pork belly small plate with a PERFECT kimchi slaw just hot enough, the pork ribs small plate: huge protion, perfect and no extra fat, the hush puppies which were divine. I simply do not have enough superlatives.....and the collard greens as snacks. We were full and we have hearty appetites. I also splurged on the Hendricks Gin Fizz, which for those who don't know, is the best little kept secret in cocktail land. We cannot wait to go back....as a matter of fact...hmmm....RUN, do not walk to The Bayou if you love southern cuisine.

Montpelier, Vermont
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't miss this place...great food!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The owner of the B&B where we stay in Bethlehem (Morningstar Inn) recommended The Bayou to us. Over the years, she's come to know us quite well and told us we'd like this place. She was spot on--we loved it! We called for reservations, as we were in town for MusikFest and know places get pretty busy. Upon arrival, our party of four was seated immediately. The restaurant is very nicely decorated, was jumping busy, and smelled amazing (always a good sign). We ordered a lot of food and each of us tasted every dish. I would heartily recommend going with a group and ordering several plates to share so you can try as much of the menu as possible. We started with Ty's mac & cheese to share and it was delicious--just full of flavor and cheesy goodness without being too heavy. We also had a plate of the cornbread and it was probably the best I have ever had--we all loved that it was grilled so there was a nice crispy crust on the sweet, moist bread inside. I had a bowl of gumbo and the small plate smoked ribs; my fiance had the shrimp and grits; our friends ordered the fried chicken and catfish. Everything was perfectly cooked and seasoned to perfection. The staff was friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable about the menu. Our food came out of the kitchen hot. Loved that a number of small plates are offered in addition to the full entrees. Overall, a great big WIN! We hope to make it back to The Bayou again some day. Well done and carry on, dat Bayou!