“Very good, but not our favorite”

Sal's Brick Oven Pizza
Ranked #62 of 352 Restaurants in Bethlehem
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Nazareth
“Very good, but not our favorite”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

While my wife and I enjoyed our meals, I would not rate this as our favorite Italian or pizza in the valley. First on the table was the garlic breadsticks. These were very good. They were nice and soft, and very tasty. We ordered some calamari and that was excellent and very tender. Our kids got pizza, and while it was good, it's not our favorite. The taste was good, but the crust was just too thick for our liking. This seems to be a common occurrence in the valley. But I could see on a pizza that needs a heavy crust where this would be good. I got veal parm and was very satisfied with my meal. The sauce was excellent, and not sweet... very tough to find that. My wife got the vodka penne, and this was off to us as well. There was entirely too much cream in the sauce. It washed out all the other flavors that were supposed to be there. As mentioned in other reviews, portion sizes are huge. We definitely have enough for another meal. We also did have the complimentary cannoli and thought they were very good as well. This is a very good restaurant, and if someone wanted to go there we wouldn't say no, but it's just not our favorite.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank BrewmeisterB

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The food here is fresh and plentiful. The service is adequate and the atmosphere is like at home. I recommend the Calamari Marinara and also the Scungilli !! Sal also has a wide variety of specials.

• Visited August 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Favorite local Italian place”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

If you have not been to Sal's, you're missing out big time. The food is to die for, ten times over.
I've been more times than I can count now and every time I leave, I feel very, very full since portions are HUGE. If I believed in leftovers, I could make the dishes last 3 days and avoid the inevitable stomach pain I feel after binging the way I do. But it is so so good. I've had the chicken broccoli alfredo, broccoli & shrimp, lobster ravioli special, angel hair in some kind of delicious pink cream sauce, and pizza with bacon, ham, and pepperoni. I have yet to encounter a dish I dislike to any extent. Their garlic bread is a great starter and the complementary cannolis are a perfectly sweet ending to a most satiating dining experience. My only complaint is that the service is sometimes slow and depending on which server you get, she can be rude. The short one with glasses though is so sweet, love her!

• Visited May 2013
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Best of the low key Italian spots”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Not well known due to it's location just across the river in South Side between the river and Lehigh's campus, they continue to turn out large, quality portions of classic Italian dishes. Our family refuses to visit us without a stop here for a late lunch. Ask for cannoli's at the end and your complementary glass of red with an entrée. If you've been to Mama Nina's and find it too hectic, cramped, rushed, or the food too rich, give this place a try!

Visited April 2013
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Penne Volka to die for!”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I love Sal's Pizza but decided on the Penne Volka. OMG It is to die for. The atmosphere is cozy, parking is a little hassle, but you forget all that when you walk in to the sweet Italian aroma with the garlic at it finest. Looking forward to going back!

• Visited January 2013