“Plastic Paddy” 1 of 5 bubbles

McCarthy's Red Stag Pub and Whiskey Bar
Ranked #7 of 346 Restaurants in Bethlehem
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Irish, Bar, Pub, Scottish, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to McCarthy's Red Stag Pub and Whiskey Bar. Experience a taste of Ireland and the British Isles at Bethlehem's Celtic Pub and Restaurant. With authentic Irish and British Isles food made from scratch, a full bar, an extensive Irish and Scottish whiskey menu, and a family-friendly atmosphere, McCarthy's is the place for a true Celtic experience in the Lehigh Valley. Created to preserve Irish family traditions and memories passed down through generations, it is a perfect place to celebrate life's special events and everyday happenings.
Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Plastic Paddy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

I' be gone here about three times, and I am done. Food is overpriced and not quite right. I've ordered black tea, and it was brewed so weakly I thought they confused my order. Staff know nothing about the tea, or even what menu items mean. Today, our wait staff, when asked what neep and tarries meant replied that she had been wondering what that meant.
They're scones are good, if they are fresh, but it didn't stop our brilliant wait staff from packaging the four we took with us in a bag- not box- with a bunch of canned goods. I did not see that she had done this till we got home(the previous times we bought scones they were boxed).
So, now I gave $10 worth of crumbs. Never again!

• Visited September 2013
4 Thank Margaret17033

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Wonderful and Welcoming"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

After staying at the Hotel Bethlehem on Saturday, 17 August, for a wedding, my partner and I strolled Main Street on Sunday searching for McCarthy's Tea Room, which we eventually found on a side street. (Proprietors: please place a sign on the Main Street side to direct patrons to the restaurant before the store opens; otherwise, one cannot tell where it is or if it's open.) Great place! We had a table near a window where we watched the light rain and enjoyed fresh coffee, a fantastic breakfast, lilting music performed by a quartet, and the ambience. The soup (a light concoction of stilton, broccoli, and cauliflower) was off the charts--equalled only by the delicious Eggs Paddy Whack! Our waitress Andrea was efficient and cheerful, in spite of the many diners. The only drawback was the man (manager) standing behind the counter who surveyed the dining area--he seemed rather menacing and looked angry. (Hint: smiles do work wonders!) I would highly recommend McCarthy's to everyone who desires to find a place that strays far from the usual and the mundane. I give it a 10 out of 10. Will be back as it's magical.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank 987wakey-wakey123
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“A true Irish Tea Room with authentic Irish fare.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Fabulous Cottage Pie and Shepherd's Pie! Great breakfast, too. Highly recommend! Live music regularly.

• Visited July 2013
Myerstown, Pennsylvania
“Fun and Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Having eaten at Granny McCarthy's Tea Room many times, I invited friends to join me one Sunday. The food was excellent(we had the potato leek soup with brown bread, tea, and scones). A delightful surprise was that on Sundays from 11:30 to 1:00 there is live music. The service is very friendly, but space is small so reservations are helpful if you have time constraints and on days when there is live music.

• Visited July 2013
Dover, Ohio
“Great salads”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

What a relaxing little spot! Mom and I both had salads...hers a blueberry and walnut daily special and mine the curried chicken. She enjoyed hers and I absolutely loved mine. Unlike most chicken salad, this wasn't heavy and "gloppy" with mayonnaise, but light and refreshing with great flavors! We shared a nice pot of tea and Mom got one of their tasty scones to take home which she also enjoyed. Service was great and the atmosphere was very nice. I'd love to go back someday, just for that salad. (oh, and the hearty brown bread served with it was too die for!)

Visited July 2013