“Waited and waited and waited at the door”

Hanoverville Road House
Ranked #82 of 353 Restaurants in Bethlehem
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 April 2013

My partner and I went to the Hanoverville Road House on a Tuesday night about 730-745pm. There were several cars in the lot, and we entered the door near the bar. There was a bar tender and a couple tables we could see with guests eating in the dining room, so we know they where open. (Being able to enter was our first clue.)
We waited by what appeared to be a hostess stand, and waited and waited. We had a conversation about the events of the day and not in whispered tones, So, what Im saying is that someone should have know we were there, waiting, the bartender at least!
After several minutes of waiting we turned and walked out. Dont think we'll be back based on that first, uhm, impression.
Can't say anything about the food as we never had the chance to try it.
Sorry guys, you need to pay attention.

2  Thank Scott G
There are newer reviews for Hanoverville Road House

Reviewed 4 March 2013

We went to this restaurant as a group of five couples. Four of the five couples were from New Jersey and we are from Nazareth PA. All night, everyone was raving about their appetizers, soups, salads, entrees and desserts. The wait staff paced our meal so that we did not feel rushed or overwhelmed with food. The mixed drinks were large in size and they were made very well. They could have gone a little easier on the ice in each drink but all restaurants and bars overload on the ice. Even though the restaurant closes at 10pm, we did not leave until almost 11:30pm. Not once did someone even hint to us that we should leave! They added on an 18% tip, since we were a large group however the server certainly deserved that amount. They calculated the tip on the Sub-Total only, which is the correct way it should be done. We have found many a restaurant that tips on the Total Amount, which includes the Tax. A tip should never be calculated on the amount that includes tax! We all had a great evening, a great meal, great drinks, delicious desserts and wonderful fellowship! We will certainly return to this restaurant in the very near future!

2  Thank PA_Girl9
Reviewed 1 February 2013

The Hanoverville Road House has been around for many, many, many years and it shows. Even though you can no longer smoke in PA restaurants, the smell still lingers around the bar area. The food is utterly dull and uninspired. I used to take my grand mother there before she passed away because she said that it wasn't too "zesty" for her, meaning she liked it because it was all pretty bland. The only decent thing I have ever had there is the tuna melt. Once in a while I get a craving for a tuna melt, and although theirs has way too much mayo in it, it's pretty good. But everything else, generic. Burgers are made from frozen patties, steak fries are deep fried from frozen, soups are thick, starchy and overly salty, salads are limp. And there is the ever-present "vegetable medely", from frozen, of course. And it's such a shame too because the buliding itself has a great history and could be charming. But as it stands it looks like something out of my grandmother's living room in the 80's. And some of the servers actually address guests as "yous". Poor old Hanoverville Road House.

2  Thank bogle821
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Dined here with three friends recently. Food was pretty good, if you stick to basics like steaks and their crab cakes -- which are indeed excellent! Two people had chicken dishes, which were good but pretty heavy on the sauce. The "vegetable of the day" was a mixed vegetable, pretty lame, overcooked -- tasted like they had been on a warming table for a long time. Starches were OK, the usual fare (one of us had french fries, which were above average). My filet was very good and cooked perfectly, and served with bearnaise on the side -- my favorite sauce for a steak, pretty good but not the best bearnaise I've had. The New England clam chowder is highly acclaimed, and again I thought it was good but not the best -- it is a thinner soup than most places, which is a nice change from the typical New England glop. Two of us had deserts, which were enormous -- one slice of "peanut silk pie" could have served the whole table. Ambiance is OK, but dated -- I remember going there 20 years ago and it still looks the same. Service was very good, very friendly waitress. Oh, a couple of us ordered wine by the glass, and it was a VERY generous glass -- I'd say 10 ounces. Overall, I feel Hanoverville does a good job on the basics, but it's not a higher level of fine dining. It doesn't compare with the downtown Bethlehem restaurants like Apollo, Cafe, or Edge, but it's not as pricey either. It's good value if you like straightforward entrees and the usual side dishes.

Reviewed 14 December 2012

Burgers are great.. love the escargot.. smoked trout.. everything is great here. I had a blackened Salmon here with rice.. and also the petite fillet

1  Thank Samantha R