“Ok for a short stay”

Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Basel, Switzerland
“Ok for a short stay”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The hotel is well located in the centre of town. As previous reviews show the good location can lead to noise as cafes and restaurants in The Village are well frequented. The hotel rooms appear small and dark (not as large and bright as on the hotel's website). Room appeared dark even though we were on the fourth floor (got an upgrade) and weather was sunny. When I inquired at reception about a brighter room, the lady showed us a room on the first floor which was even darker - not really helpful. Also, the room furniture, especially the living area, appears very worn and could benefit from a renewal. And it was the only hotel in the US so far, where the bath amenities weren't renewed even though we stayed two nights. On the second day our room key didn't work anymore. As the hotel is very large it took us about three minutes to take the lift back down, walk over to the reception building and up the reception stairway. And then you have to get all back again. Would have been nice to get a room key that works for the whole stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
TomSmith11053, General Manager at The Village Lodge, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for your thorough review of The Village Lodge! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, and hope that you were able to take advantage of all the amenities that come with it! Thank you for your constructive feedback. I have passed your comments along to housekeeping and maintenance. Your suggestions will be addressed immediately. I apologize for your inconvenience with the key card, as sometimes they do get demagnetized. I trust that the Front Desk was able to help you out in the most efficient way possible. We hope to welcome you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Only stayed here one night as part of a larger trip & was blown away by what you got for the money. We had a one bed apartment with kitchen, balcony etc. wished we had booked for longer as didn't get a chance to fully appreciate it. Only minor gripe was at check in we emptied our car only to find out we were in a different building... Could have had a wee note next to valet parking to forewarn you of this as we had a LOT of luggage.... Defo be back though

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
TomSmith11053, General Manager at The Village Lodge, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thank you for your thoughtful review of The Village Lodge! I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your condo. Thank you for your suggestion about the valet parking. We will definitely take your comment into consideration. Please come back soon so we can show you all of the different amenities that The Village Lodge has to offer!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Absolutely gorgeous hotel-resort we had an open fire in our suite and a bed to die for. The pools were lovely as were all the little shops and restaurants on site. Loved it here. Could've stayed longer

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your kind review of The Village Lodge! I am so happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our location and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you again soon – this time for a longer stay!
Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I only stayed here two nights and they double billed my checking account. They did take care of it and fixed it but was a hassle. Thank goodness I checked my account before I left!!
I highly recommend staying at Tamarack lodge instead!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LiZBarcenas76
Ladera Ranch, California
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Have stayed in several places at Mammoth including the Mammoth Mountain Inn, but i have to say that The Village Lodge has been by far my favorite for location, environment and our condo. We were upgraded to a larger condo by our front desk clerk at check in. It was so comfortable. We only had to take the car out of the parking garage once (to go to dinner at Convict Lake - a must!), there is access to the town, the lakes and the mountain from right there. We had two fantastic days of mountain biking up on Mammoth Mountain. We are going back up over Labor Day and I am already getting ready to book my reservation again at The Village Lodge.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your thoughtful review of The Village Lodge! I am happy to hear that you had such an enjoyable trip to Mammoth. You really can’t beat the location and amenities that The Village Lodge has to offer, and I am thrilled to hear that you were able to take advantage of so many of those amenities. We can’t wait to welcome you again over Labor Day weekend – the trails are waiting!
Tiburon, California
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We loved staying at the Village Lodge over the July 4th holiday. We got a decent price for a one bedroom, full kitchen room. The property is clean and the associates were friendly. You can't beat the location if you want to be in the thick of it all - this is especially nice when traveling with children. The two negatives are: the smell in the lobby. They seem to use an air freshener that smells like cheap mens cologne. When I first smelled it, I thought someone sprayed to much cologne but then, after smelling it every time I walked in the doors, I realized it must be their air freshener. I don't even like my husband to wear cologne and to smell this smell constantly was actually nauseating and headache inducing. Also, I understand that there is much of the year that air conditioning is not necessary in Mammoth. The rooms are equipped with mobile air conditioners that just don't work. Our room was hot during the day and hotter at night. I'd suggest either upgrading the mobile units to something that shoots cold air, or providing extra fans. We were on the lobby level floor so we weren't comfortable leaving our windows open when we weren't or when we were sleeping.

Other than these two things, our experience was good. It was our first trip to Mammoth and we will definitely be back (with an extra fan!).

Room Tip: Bring an extra fan if you are staying during the summer. Rooms get hot!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind and thorough review of The Village Lodge! I am so happy to hear that you were able to make it up to Mammoth for the first time over the 4th of July holiday. I hope that you enjoyed all of the festivities going on over the weekend! Thank you for your comments and suggestions. All feedback is definitely appreciated and I will be addressing your concerns with the property managers accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mammoth and The Village Lodge again soon!
Littleborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way to Yosemite. The had a suite room which was fabulous with a view of the mountains. The whole complex has a good atmosphere with a choice of bars and restaurants. The only problem was, we should have stayed for longer! We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
TomSmith11053, General Manager at The Village Lodge, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review of The Village Lodge! Mammoth Lakes is a great stopover from the eastern entrance of Yosemite. I hope the next time you are able to visit us, you are able to stay in your fabulous condo for a little bit longer! We look forward to welcoming you again soon!