“not for me, never again”

Travelodge Mammoth Lakes
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
new york
“not for me, never again”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The plan was to drive through Yosemite National Park and although it was a little out of the way for us since we were headed to Reno the following night, we made the reservation through booking.com for $70 plus taxes for a Thursday night. Of course, the park was closed but 2 days prior to arriving in Mammoth Lakes,, we still kept to the plan.
The following day, the road we planned to take was closed due to overnight snow and it wasn't being plowed as it is in a national park which was considered closed. In El Portal where we stayed at Cedar Lodge, we asked for information on alternate routes to get to Mammoth Lakes and were advised we would have to drive 8 hours around the park just to get there. We called booking.com, the rep called Travelodge in Mammoth Lakes and after their conversation and additional pleas on our part, we were told we should take the 8 hour route because if we chose to cancel, we would lose our deposit which was actually the $70+.
We drove to Mammoth Lakes, hoping for at least a decent room and nice dinner, arriving after dark. The rear parking lot was flooded, the water wasn't deep but I couldn't roll my wheeled luggage through it. As we were getting into our room, the desk person came to take us to a "nicer" room. I think it was pretty much the same, except it had 2 queen beds instead of the one king we had requested. I think the second room smelled a little better, but looked dank with carpet that didn't feel clean and furniture that showed quite a bit of wear. The mattress I slept on was in terrible shape, causing a fairly sleepless night.
The following morning, the owner of the property was on duty. He said he hoped we were comfortable and another couple had really wanted a king bed and something about them spending the night away from their kids, etc. He asked how everything in the room was and I told him my bed was mushy and it felt like the mattress was broken down on one side. His response was sarcastic but in a playful way (if that makes any difference). He punctuated every few words with a laugh, as he picked apart any comment I made and that the mattresses were only 6 months old and were pillow tops, as if this ended the conversation. This was all in front of the other guests having breakfast (mini muffins/coffee) in the very small lobby.
The owner said he lives elsewhere and owns several other properties in various states. I hope I never unknowingly make a reservation at one.

Room Tip: Be aware of booking.com's policy. Most places will let you cancel in 24 hours, but it is 48 hou...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kellen43

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
San Jose, California
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We arrived and were immediately checked in. Walking down the upstairs hallway I grew concerned, as it was quite dirty and a garbage bag was sitting in a corner. Then our key cards wouldn't open our door. We went back down to get the desk clerk to help and while he apologized he implied it was a common issue. Even he struggled to get the key card to work. The room itself was very large and very dirty. The floor appeared to not have been vacuumed — I even saw sunflower seed shells on the floor. The toilet, tub and sink were stained. The hot water for a shower took about five minutes to heat up. Later I learned that the hair dryer was broken. We had to get the desk clerk three times to help us get back into the room. No discount was offered, and when we checked out we weren't asked how our stay was and no apology or explanation was given for the condition of our room or, really, the entire place. I feel badly writing this, as one of the desk clerks was very nice, but this experienced was unacceptable.

Room Tip: There probably are no good rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PATTY M

Travellers are raving about these Mammoth Lakes hotels

Madrid
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Clean place, excellent location in Mammoth Lake area, extremely friendly staff who go the extra mile (or two) to make you comfortable. The breakfast is quite acceptable too!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Los Altos, California
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Payed I think over $ 90.00 a night for a dirty room off season. Dirty, Lobby smelled like bad goulash. Owner tried hard to be accommodating but the property is just plain run down. Old style TV remote did not work. The hot tub downstairs in the basement looked pretty scary so I did not try it. Shower went from cold to scalding. It goes on but you get the idea. It might be worth it to pay 20 or 40$ more for a decent hotel in Mammoth.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends