“A good start to the day, but too busy”
Review of Base Camp Cafe

Base Camp Cafe
Ranked #51 of 91 Restaurants in Mammoth Lakes
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

We ended up here a couple of times for during our stay, once for lunch, once for breakfast.

There is usually always a wait for a table, just remember to go to the counter and put your name down for a table, or you'll wait longer than you should as there is nothing telling you to do so, and it's often difficult to get inside with the queues.

The staff were friendly enough and pretty efficient, and the place has a nice atmosphere and a good selection on the menu.

Breakfast was really good and the kids were both happy with their meals even the picky teenager, but the lunch was only average with a couple of errors to one of our orders.

1  Thank Highwaymaned

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We pulled off Rte. 395 to get gas and get a lunch. We got both, but the gas prices were so high, that part of the visit to Mammoth Lakes, CA was not that pleasant. What was pleasant, and WELL WORTH THE STOP was finding the Base Camp Cafe. They had a lunch special just for me: a cheeseburger and salad for $7.00! It was done to perfection, if you love a good cheeseburger, like I do. My wife ordered a Turkey and Avocado Salad. She gave it two thumbs up. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The decor was all about skiing and climbing with coiled rope and used packframes.
The area around Mammoth Lakes also deserves a close look, too. It's all very beautiful.

Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

After a long drive and what felt like altitude sickness (but more likely to be hangover) decided to stop here on a whim and glad we did. Great welcome and seated right away. First thing to come out was water for the table followed by the best sala and nachos I've had in a very long time. I can firmly recommend the onion soup it was perfect. The others in my party had jacket potatoes big enough to feed a family of four for a week!! The place seems a bit tired but was spotlessly clean, service quick and very friendly and the food was hot and full of flavour. Perfect!!

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Base Camp is one of our go-to places in Mammoth. Nothing fancy here but you are always count on a good sandwich, salad or soup. The vegetable soup is delicious and filling and the best you can get in town. The chili is also good but it's pretty spicy so if you like yours mild, order the soup instead. Prices are reasonable and there is a daily special that is a solid value.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

My wife and I had a late lunch here during a stop over in Mammoth. The food was excellent, well prepared and the service was good. I the fish and chips and substituted chicken noodle soup instead of a Cesar side salad for a reasonable up charge. The fish was light and flaky, chips fresh and tasty with a light seasoning. I normally hate seasoning on fries however, they got it right. The chicken noodle soup was probably the best I have had in a restaurant. My wife had the Cesar Salad with Chicken. We were both pleased with the food, service and pricing. We will definitely be returning when next in Mammoth. Our dog gave the food four paws up.

1  Thank Tony J