“We Extended Our Stay Because It Was Fantastic”

Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 September 2013

While visiting the east side of Yosemite, we booked one night at the Westin Monache. But upon arrival, we fell in love with the area and the hotel, and extended our time in the area by one night. The service team at this hotel are great. They were super helpful with restaurant recommendations, shuttle service to and from dinner and room check in. The rooms are great, with the Heavenly Bed and a great kitchen area complete with everything one would need. We're already plotting a winter return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you MSandersCarroll, I enjoy the Mammoth Lakes Basin as much as Yosemite too!. I am happy to read you left here feeling better than when you arrived. Thank for mentioning the staff, they strive to provide personal & instinctive service. We all look forward to your return this winter. FYI it is snowing outside right now!

There are newer reviews for Westin Monache Resort Mammoth

Reviewed 3 September 2013

What a great hotel, the rooms are cozy but larger than most standard rooms. The property was immaculately clean and had a beautiful kitchen with everything from a toaster to pots, pans, dishes, granite counters etc., which is a nice feature for the hotel. It also had a beautiful bathroom with soaking tub which I loved. The beds were super comfortable and the room was exceptionally quiet. The happy hour in the restaurant was great, gourmet snack meals at half price and good drink prices. We could walk out the door and be in the Village in a minute or two so the location was perfect, and the chair lift up is right outside the hotel door. We loved our stay, oh, and it's pet friendly!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank You montecoreOregon, This is a really nice review and it touches on all the Westin amenities. The heavenly bed and bathroom really do allow you to get a great night sleep; at Westin it is all about your wellness. The next time you are on property you will be able to sample the new menu; our Executive Chef just released his latest creations to rave reviews. Thank you again for your business and we all look forward to your return.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here as a family in August and ended up in a great room. The kitchen was a decent size which is perfect for us - we like to make breakfast and lunch, then head out for dinner. The bathroom was a bit small, but I think that's a hallmark of the Westin chain. I loved the location. Overall I would stay at this property again and we hope to visit in the winter. My only comment was it was difficult to sleep - there were lights everywhere - on the clocks, the TV - that oddly made the room brighter than expected at night. I LOVED that people had their dogs everwhere. The bell/valet staff is also super friendly and helpful about what to do in and around Mammoth, from restaurants to outdoor activities.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, ours had a bigger kitchen than most standard rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you eatwritetravel, I appreciate the feedback. The extra light during the evening I have not heard but I will seek feedback from the staff to see if it is a hotel or individual room issue. Thank for all the other very nice comments, especially the mention of the bell/valet staff. They all truly enjoy meeting and interacting with guests. Since you have been on property we have changed leadership at our desk and I believe that has rectified the timeliness issue. I also hope you visit in the Winter; I believe your arrival experience will be much more renewing!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed for 3 nights over Labor Day weekend for a wedding. The hotel is beautiful. We had a suite with fully equipped kitchen, sitting area, and fireplace. This would be a great room for a family of 4-5. No complaints about the upscale property or location. Love that the Westin is dog-friendly - there were almost as many dogs as people during our stay! Be prepared for some major stair climbing down to the Mammoth village and back. The food at restaurant was quite good, and not as overpriced as some similar hotels. Oddly, the restaurant was closed for some entire meals (lunch) during our stay. Only complaint was the service. They have a very odd front desk/check-in layout (2 small booths instead of a counter.) Much too small & inefficient for a hotel of this size. And it was painfully SLOW. We were 2nd in line and it took nearly 1/2 hour for us to check-in to our room. Frankly, it was ridiculous. Greeting & service at restaurant was also slow.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lee M

Thank you Lee M, Thank for all the great information; I am sure others will benefit from this review. Since you have been on property we have changed leadership at our desk and I believe that has rectified the timeliness issue. I hope you decide to return in the future, I am positive your arrival experience will be more of a Westin experience.

Thank You!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We booked this hotel as it had two bedroom suites which was better for us than two rooms. The suite was fantastic with two large bedrooms, fully equipped kitchen and very nice living area. The hotel is located close to the ski lift and a nice shopping area with several good restaurants. Mammoth Lakes is a great place to visit with some wonderful walks and spectacular scenery. Not cheap and the annoying habit of adding "extras" such as 'occupancy tax' ($49) and 'resort service fee' ($25), soon racks up the final bill. Overall a very good hotel if a little pricey.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you gundogjh, I am glad you enjoyed your Westin experience. As you mentioned, the property is very close to the Village, Canyon Ski Lodge, and many local restaurants & pubs. I am not sure what site you used to book your reservation, but you are correct many do not detail the total you will pay once the final bill is generated. The best rate will always be offered on the Westin site, we have a best rate guarantee, and the fees and taxes are defined on the site as well as in your confirmation letter. I really appreciate your business and the time you spent reviewing the property. Please come back and see us again; we anxiously await your return!

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed here recently, this was my second summer trip to Mammoth and really enjoyed staying here both times as it's walking distance to town, and there's a trolley stand downstairs if you prefer the trolley to get around Mammoth. It's also a dog-friendly place, so even your pet can have the experience of a heavenly bed. The rooms are spacious and have a kitchen with refrigerator, stove, and sink. The bathroom lacks counter space, though, so if you're like me with lots of lotions and potions, there isn't a place to put them. Also, the hair dryer is just 'ok' but I have really long hair, if you're not particular about it, you'll be alright. Mine didn't work but I got a replacement for it right away. The happy hour/lounge is great, and the pool area is a lot of fun for the kids, with one large pool and two smaller jacuzzi-type pools. Even though the air quality was poor because of the fires not too far away, the stay was enjoyable. My only complaints are that the gym, which only has ellipticals, treadmills and 2 stationary bikes and a handful of dumbbells, didn't have cups for the water any of the times that I worked out. They do provide ear buds for your workout, which is great, but those tended to run out as well. Also, the internet didn't work the entire time I stayed (was a 5-night stay). Not sure why, but I didn't complain, as I spent most of my time outdoors but it is a convenience that many of us expect. Aside from a minor billing snafu that was resolved after two phone calls on my part, it was a great stay.

1  Thank Victoria B
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This hotel is fantastic and very well located. I stayed for one night (very pricey) on 8/10 and couldn't have been more pleased. The room was gorgeous (1 bedroom suite) with a little kitchen area, separate bedroom, small deck over looking the pool, dining space and living space with TV and fire place.
They offer laundry service, room service, etc and the pool looked very inviting as well. Staff was very helpful and accommodating as well. Wish I could have stayed the 2nd night as well, but at over $300 a night, I just couldn't do it to my wallet!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo