“Convenient, Clean, Dog & People Friendly” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westin Monache Resort Mammoth

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sherman Oaks, CA
“Convenient, Clean, Dog & People Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Perfect for first visit to Mammoth. The concierge gave us great recommendations, the restaurant is fantastic. We loved our server, "Bohdi," he gave us great tips on where to board, hike and visit. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. Checking in was a little unorganized and the wait was long. The person who helped me was a bit grumpy-maybe she was new. We wanted to add a night and she was supposed to get back to me on the price, but never did. But they made our dog Sophie feel comfortable, and it was so convenient. You do not need a car, once to the hotel. The gondola is right outside the hotel--across the street. The Gondola is free for anyone. We liked having the option to return for lunch and cook dinner in our room (although we only did each once). The rooms are very clean, and all have a nice view of the forest or mountains--there is no need to ask for a better view--all the views are nice. Our fireplace was cozy and our bed very, very comfortable. Our son slept on the pull out sofa in the living room, while my husband and I shared the large, King sized bed in the bedroom (we got a 1 bedroom, but w bedrooms are also available). The room is very small. The kitchen area is tiny, but it was well stocked with a blender, pots and pans, tea and coffee maker, plates and utensils. There is no need to print anything except food. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: All Rooms have great views--not a problem. I did not try the Spa, but it was fun to see people runni...
Green Features: You can turn in vouchers for hotel points or $5 in the dining area in exchange for not having your room/towles cleaned.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank for taking the time to recognize the staff. Bohdi is an amazing server and a better person. I am embarrassed by the service of the Front Office representative. I have already send this remark to my Front Office Manager to use a training example. The staff has been highly trained and should be much better at following through and ensuring satisfaction. I happy to read you would stay here again; I hope it is the near future.

Patrick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at the Westin Monache in February 2014, and enjoyed our stay so much that we returned in March 2014. The Westin is perfect for families traveling with dogs. We have a 6-month old husky puppy and from the moment we arrived, he was treated like a little prince by all of the staff! The hotel is well-maintained and impeccably clean; you'd never be able to tell that it's popular among pooch-owners. The Westin is also terrific if there are individuals in your group who are not big into skiing or other winter sports. It's close walking distance to the shops and restaurants in the village, or if they prefer, they can relax in the modern comforts and luxuries of the hotel. The only areas in need of improvement are the slow and congested elevators. I'm not sure if it's because we visited during weekends, but we consistently had long waits (4-5+ min) for the elevators. The doors close very quickly, not giving older/less mobile individuals much time to make it into the elevator. Other than that, we love staying here and will continue visiting with our little furry monster for years to come!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank for not only 1 trip but 2; I appreciate the continued support. Mammoth Lakes, is the Dog friendliest town I have worked in. My staff really enjoys meeting all the dogs, but they do have an affinity for huskies. I thank you for the elevator feedback. I will have the service provider check the closing speed of the doors. Thank you for choosing the Westin, we hope to see you again soon.

Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

I've never had to ask so many questions and chase things up as much as I have at this hotel. I'm such a low maintenance guest. I check in. I stay. I check out.

- Booked the hotel shuttle to pick me up at the airport. It was not there, I borrowed a cell phone from a stranger, the hotel said they had no record of the booking. They even went as far as to say that is not unusual.
- Had to follow up the food/beverage credit which was part of my package, it was not mentioned at check in and I did not know if it applied to the restaurant and/or room service.
- Got to my room, two lights did not work. Maintenance came.
- Room had washing up liquid but no sponge or plug for the sink. Housekeeping came.
- Wanted to order room service, the only hot vegetarian meal was not available. Had a kids meal instead.
- Went to the pool. No towels. Used the house phone by the pool. No answer. Asked a passing bellman to call housekeeping. 45 minutes later still no towels.
- Two pillow cases had stains on them. Housekeeping came with new ones and wanted to just hand them over. I asked if he could change them and he was huffy with me. After he changed them he walked out and left the dirty ones in the floor. I did call up and make a complaint about this as he was unnecessarily rude. It is not my fault housekeeping put stained pillow cases on and I don't pay to stay in a hotel to have to make the bed myself. Sorry Westin.
- Checked in with skis. Would have been good if they mentioned the free ski storage for guests at The Village Gondola so you don't have to lug your skis up the 80 stairs. I read about it on here and enquired the next day. Only the hotel did not tell me guests need a valet pass from the hotel to check their skis for free.

Having said all of that the hotel is in a good location opposite The Village, my room was a good size and well equipped, the staff are friendly (save for the housekeeping guy above) and the pool is great.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MelbourneSkiGirl
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
MelbourneSkiGirl, I sincerely apologize for the lack of service you received. We usually do a very good job exceeding our guests expectations. The staff here is well trained and eager to assist our guests in all situation. The goal is to ensure the property is a compliment to their Mammoth outdoor experience. I have already discussed your review with our Executive Housekeeper, Front Office Manager and the Chief Engineer. I thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I certainly would not want another guest to have a similar experience. If you are ever back in Mammoth Lakes, please provide us the opportunity to rectify this past stay; I believe if you give us another chance we will provide you with a true Westin Branded Experience.

Sincerest Apologies,
Trabuco Canyon, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

We have stayed here in the past and our experience was better. The hotel has clearly not been kept up to the Westin standards. Prior to check in we received an email reminding us that our "Heavenly Bed" was waiting. When we did check in (which was late) - we were not welcomed by a Heavenly Bed but rather a bed with just an ugly blanket, with holes, Motel 6 style. The bathroom had a robe that still had the previous guests makeup on it. We called down and someone came and handed us a duvet and I handed them the robe. No apology or follow up. The next morning I spoke to the front desk who had another robe sent up but still no apology. The hallways and rooms are clearly in need of attention. After lugging our skis up the 75 stairs from the Gondola, the young man in the ski rental shop told us we could have left our skis at a shop adjacent to the Gondola. What a great service, too bad the bellman or front desk person didn't let us know when we checked in, especially considering I asked him about where we should store our skis. Most hotels of this quality would prefer you not bring your equipment to your room - to prevent damage to the finishes in the rooms and hallways. Our room came with breakfast which was excellent. The first two mornings our server was outstanding.

We had a Mountain Collect ski pass this year which allowed us to ski Squaw Valley, Whistler, Aspen Snowmass and Mammoth. We stayed in the Hyatt Regency, the Nita Lake Lodge, The Viceroy and The Westin Monache. The Westin was the most expensive and the lowest quality of all those resorts. The skiing in Mammoth was among the best though. Next time in Mammoth we will try the Village.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cheri S
Cheri S, we are the best Mammoth has to offer, but judging by your experience, we misrepresented the brand and the property. I apologize you had to put in so much effort for amenities that are here for your use, here for your benefit, and ultimately here to make your stay more pleasant. The Westin Heavenly Bed has been the premiere hotel bed for almost 15 years. For you not to experience this the way it was intended is very disappointing. I will speak to our luggage attendants, the ski storage should be offered to every guest for all the reasons you mentioned. I apologize for our lack of service and for not being able to live up to the Westin Branded experience. We will all work harder to ensure others don’t have a similar problem while on property. I was happy to read your ski experience was very pleasant.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

This being a four star hotel, I never expected I would've been so impressed. The location was quite convenient. Easy access to the village and gondola. But, what surprised me the most was the customer service.

My wife had a severe eye infection and most of the shuttles were out. Mr. Paul Chan, their managing accountant, immediately offered to drive my wife all the way to bishop, which is 45 minutes away. Afterwards all the staff for the next three days always followed up on her condition.

The shuttle drivers were very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed my time there so much that I canceled my Tahoe trip and am planning to go there this Sunday.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed, nice review. I am happy to read we kept you from your planned trip to Tahoe, and that you will be returning so soon. Paul is our Hotel Controller, but he is always willing to jump into the operation when we need a helping hand. Thanks again for choosing the Westin; we eagerly await your return!

California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Top notch. Besides being kind of ski jn and ski out, which is always a great great plus for us with little children.. the place was perfectly clean, excellent service, the rooms were nice, updated, roomy for our family and had nothing but great things to say about our stay. Hot tubs werent crowded...hot cocoa waiting for u at lobby...kids club...little details that make a huge difference for us when traveling with kids. I will go back here everytime we go to Mammoth...have stayed in several other places, paid more $$ for our stay and have yet to have a better experience than this place. Kuddos to the Westin- they know how to do it. Thanks!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for choosing the Westin and for taking the time to detail your experience. I appreciate the kind words, especially the positive, service related comments. The staff is very dedicated to this property, the Westin brand and your personal experience. We look forward to your return. Hope to see you soon!

Ventura, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

There is a reason why this place is ranked #1 out of 30 hotels in Mammoth-- it's AWESOME and the staff is exceptionally friendly, courteous, kind and professional. We stayed here while traveling through Owen's Valley and the Sierras in a travel trailer, after a bad experience trying to book a spot at a local RV park. It was snowing and cold outside, and staying at the Westin instead was a SMART CHOICE and well worth it!

This place is very dog friendly and kid friendly (we were traveling with kids and dogs). The rooms are comfortable (although a bit small), very clean and nice, and the staff provides excellent service at all levels. After unloading our luggage & family at the front entrance, we were able to park our trailer across the way, at their adjacent property, and they shuttled my husband back to the hotel. The kids all enjoyed staying at the Westin, especially taking a dip in the heated pool & jacuzzi (despite the fact that it was snowing, lol), liked having a "fireplace" in the room, and enjoyed playing in the snow in the adjacent forest area. Our dogs loved their "Heavenly Pet Bed," and courtesy dog bowls, and I was able to catch up on laundry, cook a homemade meal in the kitchenette, and enjoyed a relaxing soak in the tub before bed. We all left feeling clean, refreshed/replenished, and ready to hit the road. We will definitely stay there whenever we visit the Mammoth area again (hopefully without our travel trailer next time, lol!).

Our only complaints were the size of the room and the fact that the kitchen could have been stocked a bit better (no vegetable peeler, strainer, and only a tiny fridge, unlike another Westin Resort we have stayed at), but everything else made up for it!!!

Green Features: I really appreciated the fact that they had a small recycle bin in addition to a trash can in the kitchen.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for the very nice review; I actual met you and your husband on your way out. I am happy we were able to assist with the trailer; that worked out very well. We all look forward to you and the families return. Thanks again for your business.