“First time to Mammoth, Westin is decent”

Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was my first trip to Mammoth. I selected the Westin based on a friend's recommendation, who said it was good and dog friendly since I wanted to bring my dog.

The room was reasonably priced. I wish it had a balcony though. Next time, I'll have to get a suite, as they have balconies. I was only there for 2 nights. If I was staying longer, i would wish I had more room also, as the dining table in the regular room was small. Its nice the rooms have kitchenette.

The pool area is decent. The first day, though, they were out of towels and housekeeping took a really long time bringing some up. The pool area is a little small though, when the hotel is near capacity. We had to wait for lounge chairs both days.

The hotel's restaurant was really good for breakfast. The restaurant wasn't open for lunch, but we ordered lunch at the pool, which was tasty. The menu for dinner did not appeal at all to myself or my husband, so we didn't eat there for dinner. But its such a short walk into town where there are a bunch of restaurants, and the vast majority have outdoor seating so our dog joined us.

The room was very clean.
Overall, the staff was really friendly and helpful (despite housekeeping taking a long time with the pool towels)

Would consider again.

Room Tip: I'd get a suite so I could have a balcony
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for staying at the Westin Monache. I appreciate your feedback and the time you spent writing this review. I apologize about the pool towels. We are trying to work out a better procedure to keep towels at the pool vs. being taken to the lakes. I am happy to read you enjoyed your meals at Whitebark. Thank you for your business and we look forward to your next stay.

There are newer reviews for Westin Monache Resort Mammoth

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We unfortunately had some issues with check-in and room service the night of our arrival. We appreciated that when we brought this information to the attention of the manager, she gave us a price reduction on our first night's stay. The feeling we got from this hotel was that they were short staffed.

Our room was spacious, but had a few problems -- the carpet was worn, the burners on the stove didn't appear to work properly (it took close to 45 minutes to boil water but when I mentioned this at check out I was told it might be due to the altitude), and there was a piece of clothing from a previous occupant in the closet.

The hallways of the hotel showed a lot of scuff marks, the mirrors in the elevator were consistently smudged, and the hallways didn't appear to have been vacuumed during the course of our 2 night stay.

All in all we were disappointed after having expectations of a higher caliber hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We staid here 3 nights, wished we had had longer.

Staff are all very friendly and nothing is too much problem. If you eat in the restaurant ask if Cherise can be your server, she took wonderful care of us, really outstanding. Chris the restaurant manager is also great. Barbara on reception also very helpful. Breakfast is very ample, we shared two breakfast between three of us and had more than enough.

The pool area is wonderful. You can sit in the hot tub and look at the pine trees. It must be wonderful in winter!! There is a barbecue there that is available for guests to bring their own food and cook it. You can use it any time the pool area is open. It is a gas one, if it is turned off you can just turn it on yourself, or ask one of the staff to do it for you.

There is no extra charge for parking, and I think the wifi was also included free.

There is so much to do near by: walking, biking, picnicking etc. We went out at dusk one night and managed to see a bear near one of the lakes.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2014

Thank you for providing such a detailed review. I sent your review to all staff members so they can recognize the names you mentioned. I really appreciate your business and we all look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

On arrival, after our long drive from Vegas, I heard those words that I never hear... "you have been upgraded"...Wow!!!.
We were put in a 2 bedroom suite...it had nearly as much floor space as our house..it was amazing..my daughter just wanted to live there...
The Hotel is perfectly placed in Mammoth..just across the road from the Village and cable car.
Undercover self parking..great pool area..pity it was raining when we were there...I could only imagine how good this would be in skiing season.
If ever I'm in Mammoth again this is the room I'm booking...absolutely superb.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gaz21uk

Thank you for staying at the Westin Monache. I appreciate your feedback and the time you spent writing this review. I am happy to read you were treated to a true Westin Branded experience. The winter season is also very nice; especially when it snows! We all look forward to your return.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

My husband and I decided to head to Mammoth Lakes at the last minute - we booked a room at the Westin and it was a great decision. It is within walking distance to The Village where you can get great food and do a little shopping. The bed was comfortable and the room was a good size. The staff even upgraded us when we arrived for no charge. If you're headed to Mammoth Lakes you can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your business! I appreciate the nice comments. We all hope you return soon!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

A lovely resort to stay after our drive through Yosemite. A compact room but very nicely decorated. I'd love to see the resort during the ski season.

We made good use of the pool and spent the evening sat in the hot spa under the starlight. It was surprisingly quiet!

Hotel food options were pricey but there were plenty of places to eat nearby with handy happy hours.

For some reason we felt the altitude here!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank skippy_ste

Thank you for staying at the Westin Monache. I appreciate your feedback and the time you spent writing this review. The altitude is definitely different in Mammoth than Yosemite. Yosemite Valley is several thousand feet below us; the property sits at 8,000 feet above sea level. The winter season is also very nice; especially when it snows! We all look forward to your return.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This hotel has the most friendliest staff. Maybe too too friendly. Every member of this hotel go out of their way to make your stay amazing. The swimming pool is great, even the hot tub is huge and worthwhile. They have a nice restaurant at the restaurant, but with the location, all you have to do is walk across the street to Mammoth Lakes village. The rooms were big and very clean.
My complements goes to the staff of this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floors. It seems that some rooms are actually owned by people but they lease it...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nadro2010

Thank you for your business! I appreciate the nice comments. The staff is very proud of the property and they go out of their way to ensure you enjoy your time with us. We anxiously await your return!