Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This is a good hotel in the area, it's really close to the Village. my complain would be for the housekeeping. It takes them forever to bring something to the room, also the room could be cleaner. The room service menu in the room had splash of coffee all over it!!! this should not happen in the Westin. The room service menu is so limited I wish they had more selections.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I have brought this review to my Director of Housekeeping. I apologize for the cleanliness issue. We usually have very good comments concerning cleanliness of the guestrooms and property. We also discussed timeliness of guest requests. Please allow us to provide a more Westin branded experience the next time you are in Mammoth. Thank you for your business!

Patrick

Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed in August and were surprised to find a few changes to the hotel, check in was very late and it appeared that they were understaffed, I observed rooms being cleaned after 6pm, what was once a quiet family pool area appears to now have become the party spot with live music and people everywhere, nowhere to sit, later on at our pool visit towels and empty cups everywhere, not what you would expect for such prices, we like the Monache but will look elsewhere next time we travel to Mammoth Lakes

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments. The property is much more established now, and the summer months are very attractive to outdoor enthusiast. Also, the town of Mammoth has put a lot of time and effort into promoting the destination. The village and downtown areas have an established event almost every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Summer and winter months are definitely times larger numbers of people come to the area. If very quiet, less crowded is what you seek, fall is definitely your time of year. It is beautiful, the leaves are changing, the weather is still warm but the families are less prevalent. Thank you for your business!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Booked through Venere on TopCashBack. Stay was excellent, hotel is in a fabulous location, walk out the back door and there's a village across the street with a good selection of restaurants and some table tennis tables and street games that entertained my two boys for hours. The room was very well equiped and spacious. The only sting in the tail was being asked to pay an additional $28 per night for resort fees when my booking already covered this. The staff weren't very helpful and even after they were shown by trying to book themselves that the fees were indeed included in the Venere booking, no apology was offered. Would stay there again though.

Room Tip: Standard room has a great kitchen but soda bed rather than two 'proper' beds
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the nice review. I appreciate your business. I hope you choose the Westin Monache the next time you are in Mammoth Lakes. The Resort Fee is not included on Venere.com. It very rarely is included with the online travel agents. If you go to the bottom of the page, under Extra Services & Fees - Venere clearly states the Resort Fee is $25 and will be charged by the property at check-in. Please, next time use Westin.com, no travel site can ever sell a Westin room cheaper than this site. Plus, the information is more accurate and SPG are available.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Location:
Awesome...right across the street from the Village (shops, restaurants, entertainment...feels like the heart of Mammoth since everything else is so spread out). I believe there is also mountain access from the village in the winter. Free shuttle from the airport...about a 10-15 minute drive. Just let them know which flight you are coming in on.

Rooms:
Gorgeous hotel all around. Decorated in soothing, peaceful colors and blends nicely into the setting. We had a 2 bedroom, which was amazing! 2 nice sized bedrooms, each with a bath...master bath was huge with separate shower & jacuzzi tub. Very roomy living area with pullout, dining room for 6 and a full sized kitchen. I could've lived here! We were with a big wedding group, so everyone commented on how amazing our room was. Oh, and did I mention, each bedroom had it's own balcony overlooking the pool? Comfy Westin beds with great linens and towels...couldn't ask for more. I saw all the room setups and didn't care for the one bedroom...seemed cramped. If you don't need the extra space, I would go with the studio...same size kitchenette and seems well laid out.

Restaurant:
We had a fabulous breakfast in the restaurant. Great menu selection from basic to more creative. Portions were huge and they brought a little plate of fruit to start. Loved their egg white omelette with spinach! Service was very friendly & efficient! Would be a cool restaurant for dinner or drinks, but we didn't have time.

Service:
Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Mountain atmosphere, so people are a little more laid back. Nothing was lacking, but don't expect Ritz service. Free shuttle that will take you to the airport, etc.

Dogs:
Dog friendly hotel, which we loved! Fun to see so many dogs around the property!

Property:
Smaller, but very nice pool. Had some trouble (like many place) with people saving chairs. Nice little cafe outside where you can order food. Decent workout room with very nice locker rooms, so you are able to check out, enjoy the property and then shower before leaving. When I read reviews about this property beforehand, everyone talked about the stairs to the Village. Yes, there are 75 steps...I counted! Not so bad on the way down to the Village, but a good workout on the way up.

Loved this property so much! My friend, who is a Mammoth regular said that she won't stay anywhere else from now on!

Room Tip: If you are able, the 2 bedrooms are amazing!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

I think your review says it all; thank you the time creating. I believe others will benefit from your comments. I really appreciate your business and we all look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was my first trip to Mammoth. I selected the Westin based on a friend's recommendation, who said it was good and dog friendly since I wanted to bring my dog.

The room was reasonably priced. I wish it had a balcony though. Next time, I'll have to get a suite, as they have balconies. I was only there for 2 nights. If I was staying longer, i would wish I had more room also, as the dining table in the regular room was small. Its nice the rooms have kitchenette.

The pool area is decent. The first day, though, they were out of towels and housekeeping took a really long time bringing some up. The pool area is a little small though, when the hotel is near capacity. We had to wait for lounge chairs both days.

The hotel's restaurant was really good for breakfast. The restaurant wasn't open for lunch, but we ordered lunch at the pool, which was tasty. The menu for dinner did not appeal at all to myself or my husband, so we didn't eat there for dinner. But its such a short walk into town where there are a bunch of restaurants, and the vast majority have outdoor seating so our dog joined us.

The room was very clean.
Overall, the staff was really friendly and helpful (despite housekeeping taking a long time with the pool towels)

Would consider again.

Room Tip: I'd get a suite so I could have a balcony
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for staying at the Westin Monache. I appreciate your feedback and the time you spent writing this review. I apologize about the pool towels. We are trying to work out a better procedure to keep towels at the pool vs. being taken to the lakes. I am happy to read you enjoyed your meals at Whitebark. Thank you for your business and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We unfortunately had some issues with check-in and room service the night of our arrival. We appreciated that when we brought this information to the attention of the manager, she gave us a price reduction on our first night's stay. The feeling we got from this hotel was that they were short staffed.

Our room was spacious, but had a few problems -- the carpet was worn, the burners on the stove didn't appear to work properly (it took close to 45 minutes to boil water but when I mentioned this at check out I was told it might be due to the altitude), and there was a piece of clothing from a previous occupant in the closet.

The hallways of the hotel showed a lot of scuff marks, the mirrors in the elevator were consistently smudged, and the hallways didn't appear to have been vacuumed during the course of our 2 night stay.

All in all we were disappointed after having expectations of a higher caliber hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We staid here 3 nights, wished we had had longer.

Staff are all very friendly and nothing is too much problem. If you eat in the restaurant ask if Cherise can be your server, she took wonderful care of us, really outstanding. Chris the restaurant manager is also great. Barbara on reception also very helpful. Breakfast is very ample, we shared two breakfast between three of us and had more than enough.

The pool area is wonderful. You can sit in the hot tub and look at the pine trees. It must be wonderful in winter!! There is a barbecue there that is available for guests to bring their own food and cook it. You can use it any time the pool area is open. It is a gas one, if it is turned off you can just turn it on yourself, or ask one of the staff to do it for you.

There is no extra charge for parking, and I think the wifi was also included free.

There is so much to do near by: walking, biking, picnicking etc. We went out at dusk one night and managed to see a bear near one of the lakes.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for providing such a detailed review. I sent your review to all staff members so they can recognize the names you mentioned. I really appreciate your business and we all look forward to your next visit.