“Perfect from check-in to check-out”

Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 November 2009

I just got back from a Thanksgiving weekend trip at the Westin Monache. We pulled in at midnight from a long drive and before my husband even stopped the car the front desk lady was at our car's door helping us out. She whisked our bags out of the car and up to our rooms immediately. Check-in was the fastest I've ever experienced. The room was a studio, but it was fine for my husband and two small children, ages 4 and 6. They slept on the pull-out sofa. I loved the bay window - a perfect place for the kids to play their DS and for me to watch the snow falling. We had a pool view - very nice.

I could see how the studio might be a little short on space for some people, but we didn't have much ski/snowboard equipment so we were just fine.

The most important thing I look for in a hotel is cleanliness. I'm a clean freak and Lysoled everything before my kids could touch anything (even though it was after midnight), but the room seemed squeaky clean before doing this. That really impressed me and allowed me to relax. Housekeeping came a little after 8 a.m. on the first morning and asked what time she should return. I told her 11 and every day after that she came at 11, allowing us time to eat breakfast and get ready.

We cooked all breakfasts in our room which saved a lot of time and money. We had a cute kitchenette with pretty much everything you need to cook (except an oven - but I wasn't planning on baking a turkey or anything). It was great!

The location was perfect - right across a small street from the Village. We ate lunch at The Pita Pit - highly recommended - super fresh and reasonably priced. During the weekend we were there Santa visited and they had entertainment. It's really quite a quaint area.

We took the Redline shuttle up the mountain to ski. It's free and right in front of the Village. It's easily walkable from the hotel, but if you've got lots of ski equipment, it might be better to take the hotel's complimentary shuttle to the Redline shuttle stop. We walked it just fine with the two kids in tow.

The Westin has a nice area outside the pool area where we played in the snow. The front desk let us borrow a sled that a past guest had left and we had a ball in the beautiful scenery.

The Thanksgiving buffet dinner at the Whitebark restaurant was to die for! My compliments to the chef. He did a spectacular job. EVERYTHING my husband and I tasted was delicious! My daughter said the mashed potatoes were the best she had ever eaten and my four year old son even ate his vegetables! The service and food was extraordinary. That was the only meal we had at the hotel, and it was awesome!

My kids loved the Kids Club. It was open from 4 to 9 and was free! They did art and had all kinds of things for the kids to do on their own. Just remember to tip the girls who are watching your kids. They're really nice and extremely patient.

The concierge, Buck, was willing and helpful to answer any questions about the area and activities. Nice and knowledgeable.

My husband and I agreed that our stay was perfect and plan to come back in April.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Westin Monache Resort Mammoth

Reviewed 5 November 2009

Our family loves going to Mammoth, and we've stayed at places all across the board from big private homes (spacious but lots of shlepping) to motel rooms (basic) to the standard ski condo ("interesting decor" but more room). This is the first place that I have bothered to write a review for because it is by far our favorite.

We have young kids and have stayed in various rooms throughout the Westin... standard one bedroom, big one bedroom plus additional TV room with extra pull out bed, and the two bedrooms. For us, a two-bedroom is a must. The two-bedroom has a full kitchen with a big family-sized refrigerator, full-size range, etc. The others had a standard hotel room size refrigerator and 2 burner stovetop, which made a difference between eating out almost every meal except breakfast for the smaller rooms and going to Vons and then cooking most meals in the two-bedroom. Not only is that helpful budget-wise, it also reduces our stress to keep everyone acting perfect on our vacation. Kids can watch a video while waiting for dinner, and mom can watch them and drink some wine... (At least the 2-bedrooms we have been in have a great open floor plan with the kitchen centrally located right by the living room and dining room. It makes it really easy to socialize while cooking.)

We also happened upon the first floor on one trip, and now always ask for it. While I appreciate the views that some of the upper floor units have had, we much prefer the first floor. There are only a handful of units on the first floor, so I don't know how hard it is to get, but we've been lucky so far. (Apparently they have a computer that automatically assigns you a unit, but you can still ask for a specific location and the staff can change it for you.) Because there are so few units there, it is quiet. You miss out on a lot of the standard hotel noise. Plus, because it is on the same level as the lobby, you get much higher ceilings than the other units. Let's be honest, the Westin units are not huge, and the high ceilings go a long way toward feeling spacious. Last time we got a corner unit, and that meant an extra huge bank of windows in the master bedroom. We kept remarking that it felt like we were in an airy cabin rather than a hotel.

Probably the best part about being on the first floor though is that you don't have to wait for the elevators. We had enough to schlep during the summer that I was really grateful not to have to wait around for the elevators. During ski season, I think the first floor would be invaluable.

Our kids love the Kids' Club and have made some really fun projects there. It is nothing particularly special-- just a conference room with tons of crafts, some games, and a tv, but our kids now make sure that we stay at "the hotel with the club." We don't argue with free babysitting for an hour or so... Another kid-friendly feature is that we can ask housekeeping for all kinds of helpful items like a high chair, a step stool, a fan for white noise, a DVD player, etc. The more they have, the less I have to bring. Beautiful.

We also like the happy hour they have at Whitebark, the Westin's restaurant. They had no problem with us taking our kids in, and the happy hour specials made the food almost reasonable. The food was great and the staff friendly.

Also, I am not an animal person at all (I'm allergic to just about anything with fur), and I have a supersonic nose. So far, I have had no problems at the Westin. I don't know what they do to clean it, but it seems to work.

The biggest downside to the Westin is the price, but given all that it has to offer, it is definitely worth it to us. If they could only have a spa like the Double Eagle, it would be pretty close to perfect...

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2009

There may be cheaper places in Mammoth. But there are surely none better. Its an impeccable, virtually new Westin hotel with fantastic rooms and amazing service. And AMAZINGLY comfortable beds.

Some weekends in the ski season it can get booked up pretty early, so we've stayed elsewhere in town, and paid lots of $ for pretty ropey places. Here costs a bit more, but it's worth every penny. They have a ski valet, too, which is a bonus. And the bar is great after a long drive into town from LA. And there is free underground parking and internet in rooms.

The studio rooms can be a touch on the small side, so we prefer to pay a little extra and get a one bed suite - which has a table for breakfast / dinner and a little more room to swing cats, as they say. Another thing we've noticed is that you get much higher ceilings (so a much airier feel) if you go for the rooms on the first floor than the other ones... But they're all pretty swish.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grizzly78
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Took a trip through the Sierra's to see the fall colors and ended at the beautiful Westin Monache Resort in Mammoth Lakes. The room was beautiful, even had an electric fireplace and kitchenette. We recommend this resort.

However, they do chart a resort fee but it goes towards internet and valet parking.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2009

We stayed here on opening day. It was busy but the service was great, food is excellent, staff is wonderful!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2009

The staff at the Westin did anything they could to make the stay as enjoyable as possible. Thanks to the bus driver who picked us up at a late hour, turned us on to the local resources of Mammoth and returned us to the hotel safely.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2009

The flat was huge: a living room, a kitchen, 2 rooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 terraces with nice views, 3 flats TV. Expensive but space, quality and cleanness everywhere. Pleasant swimming pool and very good garage (a car or a bus is always needed to go somewhere in Mammoth Lakes).

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family