“Great spot”

Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Went up for the Labor Day weekend with our 110lb pooch and everyone could not have been more helpful. Although they had run out of the dog heavenly beds, the suite/room was great. Good size, fireplace, kitchenette, etc. Underground parking will be solid attraction on a return trip when the snow flies! Had room service the first night as we were reluctant to explore the dog friendly options at that time. The food was great. As usual the Westin chain does not disappoint!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,193)

Reviewed 17 September 2010

We had a fabulous time.
We got a phenomenal rate by calling Westin directly.
They offered to get the concierge to call us prior to the trip to book activities and he was extremely helpful and knowledgeable, with absolutely first class recommendations.
He also mentioned that it is a very dog-friendly hotel which is nice to know for future reference.
We asked for a quiet room and got one which overlooked the mountain. We didn't get awoken at night the entire time. I am glad we didn't get a room overlooking the pool and facing the other wing, or else we would have been forced to close the blinds and shut out the view.
Our room had a wonderful bay window with a seat cushion so you could lay and read books in the sunlight or just snooze.
As I skier, I would be concerned about having to negotiate all the steps to the gondola wearing ski boots but I was informed that they run the shuttle bus the short distance back-and-forth which would be perfect.
As has been well documented elsewhere, the rooms are very well kitted out with pots and pans, a variety of kitchen tools and appliances, including a dishwasher, blender and toaster. (Even our room which was the smallest floorplan).
When we arrived, the temperature plunged and they arranged for the pilot to be lit in the gas fireplace so we could have a fire.
We made a trip to Vons in the town center and stocked the fridge so we could prepare our own breakfasts each morning. If we had been better organized, we would probably have brought tea and coffee from home!
The only thing I would liked to have seen was a steam room or sauna to help clear a head cold but all in all, we had a fabulous time and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

2  Thank 92,075
Reviewed 7 September 2010

We stayed at the Monache Westin this past Labor Day weekend and had a splendid experience. This hotel is impeccable. The accomodations were luxurious and a blessing to come "home" to after a long day of hiking and sight-seeing. The furnishings were updated, new and modern and of course everything was impeccably clean. The Westin does not disappoint. The King bed was more than comfortable, and the one bedroom suite set-up made us feel like were were in a fancy apartment rather than a hotel. It was great.

One of the best things was that they provided free valet service and the staff was extremely friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel. The rates were even more reasonable than expected if you go to mammoth during the summer, which is obviously not their peak ski season.

Reviewed 3 September 2010

I visited here for three nights with my GF on July 2010. Mammoth Lakes at the summer time is just great. But when you are going to hotel like Westin you should expect things like great service or even avarege restaurant. Non of these excist here.

Pros:
+ Free Wi-Fi and self parking at the better hotels in the US seems to be very rare IMHO.
+ Bell Boy (gave us really good tips for the mammoth lakes)
+ Great kitchen and brand new kitchenware at your room.
+ Your own fireplace at the suite.
+ Good variety of services near by. Mammoth Lakes is very small town.

Cons:
- Restaurant (we tried breakfast and dinner. both very disapoinment. food was just awful. service very slow and no polite at all. once basic green salad was great).
- Staff and service (frontdesk didn't even managed to check us in on first time)
- Laundry service was just joke for the pricing. Even 4S is much normally cheaper.
- Pool area is small and really look and feel is from some 3*star Hilton.
- Hotel tried to charge us more than they should. After the check out I get "new bill" for drinks in the mini bar that we even haven't use. Just be aware.

Mammoth Lakes itself is great place and We'll definetly come back here. But not before some decent hotel chain like Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton or Conrad has property here.

Kuki Travels more @ http://kukitravels.wordpress.com

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Everything about this hotel is above and beyond excellent. The staff are probably the friendliest people I have ever met and they go above and beyond to make your stay the best ever. I really am amazed at how people voice thier negative opinions on here and talk terrible about the staff. I stay at The Westin every year and I really hope I don't run into some of these kind of people during my stay because I think it would ruin it. Thank you Westin for giving me and my family a great place to stay every year!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We stayed at Mommoth Lakes during our summer vacation in California. I stayed here because i could not find any good accomodation at Yosemite Park and decided to stay off the track for a day or two. It was worth the trip ! The Mammoth Lakes are great and the outdoor activities also. Really a nice place in summer because you are away from the heat.

The hotel is modern, new, spacious, great - it has a pool for the kids and must be a wonderful plave in winter also. We had a view to the woods which was awesome.

If you plan a Tahoe trip -- just spare some days for this wonderful area

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We had initially thought of staying at the Village Lodge but glad we didn't. I'm glad I read other reviews and followed my instinct. While the Westin is not in the Village it is close enough (75 steps) so that you can just walk to it but you do not get the noise in the evening and it also has a/c which other resorts do not. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well appointed. There is a rather bulky table that seats four. The refrigerator makes ice cubes so that was a nice surprise. We were told that we had the "larger" of the one bedroom suites and felt that there was enough room for the four of us although it would probably be a little cramped in the winter time with all your ski equipment. There is no seat/shelf to store any of your winter gear. The sofa bed was a little saggy in the middle but the kids slept fine. The heavenly beds were superb. Front desk was extremely helpful and the concierge is so knowledgeable. The front desk makes you aware right up front that there is a $25 resort fee. I liked that there were coin operated laundry machines on the first floor. The pool and jaccuzzi were a nice treat after a long day of hiking. It is a good hotel for the summer I don't know whether I would stay at the Westin in the winter. I think Juniper Lodge is a better place for the winter. The one bedrooms are a little bigger and they have full kitchens which is a plus because there are really no great places to eat in Mammoth. Overall, I really enjoyed staying at the Westin.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family