“5 star for a cheap hotel”

Rodeway Inn dba Wildwood Inn
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
“5 star for a cheap hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

The owner is very very nice. I drove from new iersey staying at hotels across the country and the friendliness of the staff is what inspired me to write a review for them. For the price it was a great hotel. I didn't expect a 1300 sq ft room in top condition , only idiots should expect that when paying $70 for a room. My only complaint would be the rigid stairs right in front of the lobby door....they weren't very friendly for my dogs paws and its a pet friendly hotel. Maybe they should lay carpet on half of them. However it is in a ski town so the stairs Are meant for boots and such. I was so happy to have stayed at a cheap hotel that finally provided soap and shampoo. They even had a hot tub and the front desk guy was nice enough to make sure the temperature of it was perfect for us! Teeny tiny breakfast provided in the morning too. It was very clean and spacious for a cheap hotel in such an expensive place.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Airuhka

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Czech first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

Very inexpensive but very run-down place to sleep between days on the slopes. Very clean, though blankets and curtains had holes. It's a place to sleep (though that's tough on the very hard beds). Had a jacuzzi, but did not look clean enough to get in, shed behind the pool area piled with junk and trash. Bus stop to slopes right out front and the staff is very friendly. All furniture and the place itself is ramshackled or broken. Hair dryer, bedside clock, both didn't work. Sinks are in the room with tub and toilet in the enclosed bath.

Room Tip: Rooms either face the parking lot or the back, overlooking an apartment complex. Backside rooms may...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LAChuck7

Travellers are raving about these Mammoth Lakes hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

I think this is a very basic hotels and has all the necessary items. There aren't very much to boast about. They have a very friendly staff and its in a convenient location close to the mountain. Great for last min reservations and it actually gets fully booked. Don't expect a printer to print anything or an office. Beds were old so not extremely comfy. I guess I would return if I wanted to save money and booked last min. No fitness center, no restaurant.. just hotel

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

For $70 a night on the weekend, this place is a great deal. It is within walking distance of the Village. The large outdoor hot tub is great. Beyond this, the hotel will meet nothing beyond your basic needs (which is fine if that is all you're looking for!). The front desk staff lacked customer service skills. The breakfast was OK (some pastries, cereal, oatmeal and coffee) but I was rather turned off by the gallon of milk that sat on the counter all morning. The room was very small, but served its purpose of a place to sleep and shower. So basically, if you just need a place to crash while you enjoy Mammoth, this place will do just fine, but don't set your expectations too high!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

I booked a room here knowing i was going to be in and out and just there to hit the slopes. The room was decent sized, but the bathroom was... well, what you'd expect.

The air/heat unit was loud, but if you didn't keep it on, the room got stuffy pretty quick. It was clean enough, but the bed wasn't the most comfortable. BUT - the room just worked. It did it's job.

Why 2*? the front desk doesn't stay open late to check you in, but they'll leave a key out for you - which is a plus... but they will charge you as a no-show for the first night, which doesn't help those of us who collect the points. Probably not a big deal to most, but it was odd when I tried to contact customer service about it.

I'd stay again if i needed a place to stay - but it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jer21
Mission Viejo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

Third year of skiing and staying at this place. If you want an awesome place with the basics, this is that hotel. If you want bells and whistles, this is not your 'cup of tea'! Where can you be walking distance from The Village nightlife and Gondola? Where can you be equidistant to all of Mammoth Lakes on Main Street? Where else can you have a fantastic jacuzzi Apres Ski time every nite in the great outdoors? All this is here. Kenny always treats us right and makes it happen within reason. I have read the other reviews that are not as friendly and wonder what attitude was brought along when staying at Econlodge? Staying here for the basics gives us the opportunity to have more fun at other attractions and buy more stuff in town to spread out the wealth. You choose what is more important - I say 20k feet of vertical -- bah zing!

Room Tip: If you like the jacuzzi, get a room close on the ground floor or you freeze on your return.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

I want to preface my review by saying we have stayed here many years during our ski vacations, multiple a year, without incident. I was suprise to come back to my hotel room after being out all day to find the house keeper had cleaned my room even thoug I had placed the do not disturb sign on my door. We then proceded to find items moved around and missing. My son's friend had put his personal articles, including wallet with money, and his ipod and some loose change on the side of the bed farthest from the door. When we returned we could not find any of the items. I asked the housekeeper, who happened to be cleaning the next room. She did not speak English well so I went to get the owners wife. We found the ipod on the pillow on the bed closest to the door, the wallet with money out of it, stuffed into my son's wallet on the table. Missing was 44 of 96 dollars. We presented this to the owners wife who informed us the cleaning lady was her mother. I stated I was not accusing the cleaning lady, but mearly informing her of the theft. I had also asked her why she had entered the room even though I had posted the do not disturb sign. She said it was not on the door, when in fact it was found hanging on the exact hook I had removed it from in the morning. Only one person would know where to replace it and only an employee would be such a person. She then said she would reemburse me the money since it happened on their property. We ended up staying the final night and in the am, I went to check out and the owner, who was her husband, refused to reemburse me the money. He said he had not charged me the pet fee, he would only reemburse half. I said I had booked the room with the pet clearly stated at time of booking. He had seen us with the pet at check in as well. I reminded him we are repeat customers and would not be returning if this could not be settled. He refused to reemburse me dispite me telling him I would have to report it as theft to the police and to Choice Hotels. He still refused. I will not be staying there again. It wasn't a great place to stay in the first place, pretty run down. Cold air comes in from beneathe the door, about an inch gap, always had to put a blanket to prevent the cold geting in. But the convenience to the ski area was good and they had not given me hastle about my pet prior to this. Beware. Too bad. Plenty of other hotels in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family