“Extremely Average”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Devizes, United Kingdom
“Extremely Average”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The rooms are in a number of chalet-style blocks around a car-park with a (free) Krazy Golf course in the middle (whose bright idea was that?). The room itself was OK, homely & clean. The en-suite was tiny and, frankly, a little tired. Towels were a little small & thin. Flat-screen TV, wi-fi etc. Very thin walls - you could hear conversations in adjacent rooms. The rooms had been allegedly, refurbished, but there was no real evidence of that. Our room got very hot & stuffy in the night, and the air-con seemed to have no real effect. The lobby area is nice, in a ski-lodge, kind of way. The pool was unusable because it had been drained! In my book, if the hotel is open, its facilities should be open - bad mark! The restaurant attached to the hotel is Rafters - which was terrible & I have reviewed separately elsewhere on Tripadvisor. Overall, an extremely average experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The lobby of the hotel is nice. The rooms have the minimum. But the service is deplorable. I forgot my cell phone in the hotel. I called the same day and I asked to send it to my address in Switzerland as impossible to return back during our trip. I never received my phone. I was credited with 25 dollars on my credit card, but never received my phone. I wrote 3 emails to management for news, but I have NEVER received a single response! This leaves me to imagine the worst!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nadidi A
LodgingQueen, General Manager at Sierra Nevada Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Nadidi A.,

We apologize, but your phone was not located, nor do we think it was left on our property. We credited back $25 as a measure of goodwill under the circumstances. You were our guest nearly a year ago, prior to an extensive remodel of what is now Sierra Nevada Resort & Spa; if you were to visit again, you would notice that many of our rooms are now much more than just ‘the minimum.’ We have added a very relaxing spa, 3 restaurants, mini golf, a computer station in the lobby and property-wide WiFi, a pool table also in the lobby, shuttle service to the Mammoth/Yosemite Airport, Jacuzzi and pool access, Kids Club, dry sauna and steam room – and our service level has improved significantly as well.

We hope to have you as our guests again at some future point in time, when we will most certainly be able to provide you with a better experience.

GM
Kyrenia, Cyprus
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Outstanding beauty and that's just Jessica on Reception! She welcomed us to the hotel so warmly that we immediately felt at home. Our suite wasn't ready so Jessica gave us 4 comp drinks to compensate. We only stayed for 1 day but wished we'd booked for longer. All the staff we met were friendly and our fireplace suite was fantastic and the bathroom even better than ultra deluxe hotels. Definitely will stay here when next near Mammoth Lakes and will recommend it to our more sporty mates.

Room Tip: Our fireplace room was perfect and on the ground floor
3 Thank Richard H
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I am checking out of the hotel today and wanted to write this review before I got settled back into my life in L.A and forget about it. I have stayed here for 3 weeks on a film shoot. Coming to Mammoth in the summer I knew was going to be a great experience but not knowing what the accommodations were going to be prior to my arrival, definitely created a bit of concern. When I arrived to the hotel I was greeted by cheerful and attentive front desk staff. I was surprised to learn about the amenities, like the spa, with steam room that I used just about everyday. The hot tub and pool were clean and were always in use as well. The manager of the property was very accommodating and offered a wealth of knowledge about local restaurants, sightseeing, and events. My room was spacious, was cleaned well each time I had maid's service, which for me is something I am very particular about. I was surprised by the large shower with great water pressure (most hotels suck at this) spacious bath tub, I am 6'1, 190 pounds, that I could soak in after a hard day of mountain biking. I truly utilized the kitchenette in the room and was able to cook when I needed to. The hotel is attached to 3 restaurants, Rafters, Red lantern, and Jimmys Taverna. ALL of which I tried and loved. The hotel also gives a 10% discount at Rafters if you are a guest. Rafters is a very trendy spot with fun Karaoke, live bands, and yet maintains a classy feel with fine dining. A great place to kick back and watch sports at the bar or get dressed up and have romantic dinner. The day I was leaving the spa was offering free 10 minute chair massages, unfortunately I couldn't indulge. Lastly, it's located centrally to everything, the freeway, a Rite Aid, Vons, and Roberto's Mexican restaurant where I had 3 duck burritos a week…talk about an amazing meal!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Michael Cory D
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Sierra Nevada Resort in Mammoth Lakes, California is an amazing property! I stayed here for an entire month, and enjoyed every minute of it. I had the chance to stay in their Chalet Apartments, a one bedroom unit, with a wood burning stove and full kitchen. It was also an 'upper' with nice sliding glass doors on all sides of the unit, (mine faced the mountain side), which was great to let in the fresh mountain air. I also stayed in one of the fireside suites which is also a fantastic room, with a gas fireplace, flat screen tv, very comfortable king sized bed, large bathroom, with glass shower, and tub, and also an efficiency kitchen. The front desk staff were incredibly helpful, and SAMMY (front desk mgr) and BRENT (gm) were awesome in facilitating our needs (we were there on a work assignment). They were also very flexible with allowing our group to use the facilitites after hours on occasion which was nice as we were working odd hours. The HOT TUB IS AMAZING, great size, swimming pool nice. Rafters bar, on the premises was also great.

Room Tip: "upper fireplace suites" facing mountains, and the 1 bedroom chalets
Green Features: "they recycle on the property, linens upon request"
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank heark65
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This property is sorely in need of renovation. Carpet is worn, bathroom is battered, decor is dated. Would be overpriced at half the billed rate. Front desk swiped my credit card for "incidentals", which were not used, and promised that the charge would disappear after departure. A week later, the charge still shows on my credit card billing.

1 Thank RetiredTom1999
LodgingQueen, General Manager at Sierra Nevada Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your stay. I apologize if you were not fully informed about some of the rooms that we are in the process of renovating. We have completed the renovation of most of the property to be one of a couple of properties in Mammoth to have air conditioning in the renovated rooms and all of the in room amenities you would expect to have. The authorization shows as removed from your card. If I can assist in any way please let me know.
LA
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed in a Fireplace Suite. It was a very spacious room with a great King bed and a separate seating area. The bathrooms are beautifully appointed with heated floors and many nice touches.

While it's not truly a resort, I found the property charming and perfectly suited for a Mammoth Lakes experience. Workers at the front desk were young but knowledgeable and eager to assist when it came to looking for local activities, restaurants etc.

Also, loved the pancakes, omelets and fruit at Rafters for breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family