“Absolutely HORRIBLE experience”
Review of The M Inn Mammoth

The M Inn Mammoth
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I will admit right now, I booked my reservation late, then in calling the M, the woman was so rude when I asked for a cancellation, I didn't even visit their property. I ate my $180.00, then made my reservations at Tamerack and had a wonderful stay there. In my conversation, the representative for the M Inn was rude, didn't listen and condescending. A quote from her; "You made your reservation, now you have to pay for it", and she didn't mean the money paid, she meant I had to PAY! No changes, no cancellation, nothing. A total waste of time talking to a brick wall. Wow, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, not if I can't even get a decent conversation with their representative. I am hoping this establishment looks into their customer service, as even though I understand a "policy", the rep could have been more understanding and offered a solution.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hikingguy2013

Reviewed 16 February 2012

I made a reservation last year in summer, because there were no charges if the reservation was cancelled and it was in the way of our route. We made a change in our trip (I made it 1 month before), so I cancelled the reservation, and they applied me a charge of about 10$ for it. I claimed it to them and they refunded it to me. The day I was going to be there (1 month later) ,I received a charge of 10$ (again) of repayment. I sent them several emails and they only answer me in one of them, telling me that it was the charge of cancellation and so there were nothing to do. I do not recommend this motel because of this lack of seriousness.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Juan Carlos H
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I really hate giving places bad reviews, but this "hotel" was just so disappointing. After being on the road for almost 7 hours my husband and I were looking forward to sleeping in a nice, comfortable lodge with a homey feel. This did not happen. So many things were annoying, I don't know where to start. First of all the manager wasn't even there when we arrived. We had to call twice to the Malibu sister hotel to talk to someone who was eventually able to get in touch with the owner and let us in. The room itself felt like a youth hostel/fresh dorm room, with a futon instead of a bed. Strangely enough though, the bathroom was quite nice, and even had a jacuzzi. It didn't make any sense. There was no real soap in the shower, just Softsoap on the sink. The t.v. was tiny. I think you get the picture. I guess it was a fairly clean place to just lay our heads down for the night but the picture on the website and descriptions definitely don't match the reality of the place. We will not be coming back here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jent72la
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We made a reservation at the M Inn online because we were looking for a dog friendly place for a couple of nights. When we made the reservation, we were told the place was dog friendly, but then got an email that the room we booked was not pet friendly. I called and they told me we would have to stay downstairs in an economy room for one night with two full beds and in an "unadvertised" room with no bath the second night. They would not refund our money. We checked in and found the Inn to be in a lousy location, a bad neighborhood...one we would not ever pick to stay for a vacation. The room we were told was "minimalist" and it was. It was fairly clean, but very minimalist and the doors and general condition of the room was poor. The worst part was that the walls and doors were paper thin and you could hear everything. There was a hot tub above our room and all you could hear at 10:30 in the night was loud jets and feet slipping on the tub...on/off...on/off. It nearly drove me crazy! I would never recommend this place for the money they charge and I would never stay here again...STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank mountaingal59
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I like this place the best in Mammoth because it a real ski and mountain bike Inn like in Europe. I like the intimacy of the lounge areas to be able to talk and socilaize with my fellow inn patrons about our adventures od the day on the mountain. I highly recommend this place for anyone who does not want the LA style hotel of a cattle call of just being a number and never interacting with another human bieng at your hotel, this place you can be a human and actually talk to your nieghbor!

Room Tip: You can choose any type of room for a price from shared bathroom to luxury full jaccuxzzi bath.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2011

This was for the first time we stayed at Mountain M Inn. The room was very clean and quiet. The bathroom was like a 4 star hotel - very large and remodeled with a jacuzzi. The bed was king size and comfortable. The rate was unbeatable. Walking distance to Mammouth village and ski area.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2011

The vibe at The M Inn Mammoth is more like a youth hostel or even a college dorm. The innkeepers (Mark and wife Sam and dog Bubba) were unenthusiastic and gave a bland welcome. We were told not to bother them after 10 PM.
You hear everything in this place, and at all hours -- people walking, people talking, music playing, people eating, chairs rubbing against the floor, doors slamming, china clinking, every push of a button on the microwave, toilets flushing. It is as if there is no door to your room. Walls and ceilings are paper thin. I actually heard someone zipping or unzipping their luggage upstairs. You hear every conversation, even bathroom noises. You will go to sleep to noise and wake up to noise and be cranky all day.
Breakfast consists of a bag of day-old bagels, crackers and instant oatmeal. You share a container of cream cheese and milk with other guests. If you're lucky, there's still some coffee in the coffee-maker. If there was ever anything more, it was gone by 8 AM.
The rooms are small. Ours had no dresser or drawers, just a low slotted table (that held the room's portable heater) and a high shelf in the closet. We lived out of our luggage. The shower is barely large enough to turn around in.
We had a private bathroom (not everyone does) but it was not heated and the floor was ice cold the entire time.
Maintenance is not a priority: door knobs were loose, toilet seats wiggled, no trap in the sink, and the hose on the handheld shower flew apart the first time we used it.
The common areas were cleaned every day but our room was not cleaned for all 4 days. Despite talking with the housekeeper ("Are you leaving today" was her daily question) we could not get our room cleaned or get clean towels. Trash piled up. I checked with 3 other guests who had the same experience. Apparently the rooms are only cleaned between guests.
What did we like about the M Inn Mammoth? The location is OK - we could walk to nearby restaurants and stores.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family