“The noisiest inn ever - a bare-bones experience”
Review of The M Inn Mammoth

The M Inn Mammoth
Reviewed 1 January 2011

The vibe at The M Inn Mammoth is more like a youth hostel or even a college dorm. The innkeepers (Mark and wife Sam and dog Bubba) were unenthusiastic and gave a bland welcome. We were told not to bother them after 10 PM.
You hear everything in this place, and at all hours -- people walking, people talking, music playing, people eating, chairs rubbing against the floor, doors slamming, china clinking, every push of a button on the microwave, toilets flushing. It is as if there is no door to your room. Walls and ceilings are paper thin. I actually heard someone zipping or unzipping their luggage upstairs. You hear every conversation, even bathroom noises. You will go to sleep to noise and wake up to noise and be cranky all day.
Breakfast consists of a bag of day-old bagels, crackers and instant oatmeal. You share a container of cream cheese and milk with other guests. If you're lucky, there's still some coffee in the coffee-maker. If there was ever anything more, it was gone by 8 AM.
The rooms are small. Ours had no dresser or drawers, just a low slotted table (that held the room's portable heater) and a high shelf in the closet. We lived out of our luggage. The shower is barely large enough to turn around in.
We had a private bathroom (not everyone does) but it was not heated and the floor was ice cold the entire time.
Maintenance is not a priority: door knobs were loose, toilet seats wiggled, no trap in the sink, and the hose on the handheld shower flew apart the first time we used it.
The common areas were cleaned every day but our room was not cleaned for all 4 days. Despite talking with the housekeeper ("Are you leaving today" was her daily question) we could not get our room cleaned or get clean towels. Trash piled up. I checked with 3 other guests who had the same experience. Apparently the rooms are only cleaned between guests.
What did we like about the M Inn Mammoth? The location is OK - we could walk to nearby restaurants and stores.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank skateditor

Reviewed 2 December 2010

The M Inn in Mammoth Lakes, CA is for the serious sports enthusiast - winter or summer. It's easy to get to as you pull into town. The free city bus-stop to the Village, ski lodge or anywhere you want to go in town is a very short walk from the Inn. The staff greets you helpfully when you register in the afternoon and lays out a get-up-and-go breakfast in the morning. There is a comfy living room with a propane fireplace - but see if you can snag the hanging "bubble chair" because it's the best seat in the house. Our room was warm (individual self-controlled room heaters) and comfortable - and the price was right!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2010

This place is like a European pension. Old school mammoth with modern amenities and decor. Very good location, close to all the restaurants, and ski resort. I was a little nervous after reading the reviews but after staying here I was told the previous manager was no longer there, it all made sense. The new managers are fantastic and the place is great. I recommend this Inn to all those looking for a good value with comfortable amenities, and centrally located.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Flyingdesigner
Reviewed 6 October 2010

My wife and I were travelling to Vegas via Yosemite, etc and I chose Mammoth as a convienient place to stay for one night. I booked the King jacuzzi for around USD 160 ( I can't remember exactly but 160 is close enough) On arrival in Mammoth, I thought my sat nav was playing up as it took us away from the centre and into a residential area. Eventually we arrived at the M Inn to find nobody at reception but a letter with our name and instructions to register ourselves and a key for the room. There was no information about Mammoth or recommendations for resturants, etc, The room was very basic to say the least with a tiny TV and no remote, although my wife found this behind the reception desk !!. There was not even a chair in the bedroom, nor a wardrobe or any draws, just a wire rack contraption.To be fair the jacuzzi bathroom was very nice. We went for something to eat and on our return found a very basic breakfast laid out for the morning with instructions to make our own coffee, etc and really not much to eat. During the night their was a fair amount of noise from the neighbours until the early hours and come the morning we left as neither of us wanted to stay a moment longer. I spoke with who I think was the only other person that stayed that night. He told a similar story except that he had walked to a nearby diner to be told that he was crazy walking as there were a lot of bears around.
This was the strangest place I have ever stayed in, at no time did we see any sign of the owner, in fact it is my opinion that we were avoided on purpose. I most certainly would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mafco
Reviewed 22 February 2010

If you are looking for bare bones, relatively clean accomodations, the M will suit your needs pretty adequately. Or, if you want to relive your college days traveling through Europe via youth hostels, then you may really enjoy the experience at the M.

The advantages of this property were its location, it's in central Mammoth, quite close to Whiskey Creek and the fact they allow dogs in the first floor rooms.

The disadvantages are the paper thin walls, the overpowering garlic and burnt stir fry smells that waft from the kitchen, the sparse furnishings, the non-existance of any front desk staff, and the relatively high price compared to the level of accomodation.

For my money, next time I will be checking into the Motel 6 or staying in Bishop and driving up for the day to ski.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I read the reviews about the M Inn prior to booking and was a little scared. The price was right for a peak, holiday time ($109/night) so I booked it anyway. We were heading to Mammoth to ski after Christmas, during New Years and that week. The hotel is a little weird. It's really a cabin that they have converted into a "bed and breakfast" of sorts. Downstairs there is the reception desk (which is hardly ever manned because the girl that lives/works there has another job out in town somewhere) and a living area with two sofas and a gas fireplace. Despite the wood panelling and cabin vibe, the decor is modern minimalist (a la Ikea) with interesting abstract artwork on the walls. I heard some other guests had a room that they paid $130/night for and their bathroom was across the hall and shared so if you're concerned about that, ask before you booked.

Our room was upstairs and had a bath"room" in it, which is really one big room with a shower in it (not separate-- those in the room can see you shower). The room itself had the tiny shower (I mean, you must turn off the water when you lather up or shave and you cannot turn around) a queen bed (mattress uncomfortable), a bench and a wire shelving unit (the kind you may put in your garage) to keep your luggage on. That was about it. Pretty minimalist.

Breakfast was laid out on the dining table downstairs every morning and consisted of a coffee maker (you must make the coffee yourself), instant oatmeal packets, milk, oranges and bananas and juice. Maybe some bagels too. Pretty basic.

I give this descriptive review so people don't get the wrong idea about the place nor the "bed and breakfast" part. We were there to ski and that's it. The place was warm, clean and suited our purpose perfectly, it was just weird. If you're looking for a romantic couples weekend or if you're going to spend a lot of time in your room, this might not be the place for you. We just slept there and woke up, ate a quick bite, and hit the slopes. I would recommend this to people who don't want to pay the typical hotel premium prices during the peak season and who just need a warm and clean place to stay.

I hope this helps.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aschollmb
Reviewed 7 September 2009

We found the M Inn very enjoyable. The Inn keeper was extremely helpful and friendly. We like the modern clean feel of the rooms. Breakfast is nothing special, but we are not into big breakfasts. We would recommend this place to all who are looking for good value, clean rooms, and simple services.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family