“Amazing View, and Devils Tower too!”
Review of Devils Tower KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Devils Tower
Devils Tower KOA
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Our large family group recently camped at the Devils Tower KOA, and I have to say we liked the way the tent camping area is maintained so that you can place your tents anywhere you like, which made it easy to set up camp, and keep an eye on the little kids while doing so.

As with any other business, it's all about location, location, location, and this place is THE location to camp for views of Devils Tower. The views from the campground are amazing. Obviously, Devils Tower takes center stage, but the evening sun on the red rock cliff is also rather fantastic.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KCmotravler
Andrea W, General Manager at Devils Tower KOA, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Thank you for bringing your family to the Devils Tower KOA! We keep our tent camping open so campers can select their own site from our many acres. It makes for a more authentic camping experience and is great for kids! We have a deep love for Devils Tower and the surrounding area. The red rock cliff you mentioned is right above the Belle Fourche River and directly across from the tenting area. It provides a beautiful backdrop for the area below. Thanks again for your feedback, travel safely and enjoy yourselves!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This KOA blew us away. It is at the entrance of Devil's Tower park, exceptionally clean and the grounds are absolutely beautiful. It is across the street from a large general store, ice cream store, camp store and restaurant and has a large general store and restaurant of its own. The main building with the store/restaurant is rustic and beautiful. The location is incredible. As you can see from my photo outside our RV, the view of Devil's tower can't be beat. They have all sorts of family friendly activities and a large pool. At the far end of the camp was a large stream with a cliff wall of red clay. It was beautiful. They have paths adjacent to the stream and you could actually follow this stream into the Devil's Tower park. This KOA made for a very memorable experience. If we ever go back to Devil's Tower there's absolutely no doubt we'll stay here again.

Hello,
What wonderful comments you have left for us! Thank you! We truly do take pride in our business and work hard to provide a clean park and enjoyable experience. I am thrilled to hear that you liked our establishment. I agree that the location is amazing- Devils Tower is awesome in every sense of the word. We love to share it with our visitors as well as the Belle Fourche River, which you also mentioned. I hope you will come back and stay with us again!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We chose this location for one night because of the location to Devil's Tower. Perfect location, as the park entrance is right next to the entrance to Devil's Tower. As for the campground...the bathroom facilities were ok, but soap and hand dryers would have been a plus. The sites were nicely spaced with grass and trees. They do not allow fires because "they don't want people catching other people's stuff on fire". They were suppose to have a community fire, but someone must have forgot on the night we were there. All in all an average campground with a fantastic location!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hello,

Isn't Devils Tower just amazing? I believe it is truly one of America's hidden gems. Thank you for staying with us and leaving your comments. We are just finishing remodels in all of our shower-houses. I'm sorry to hear there wasn't soap or towels available when you were here! I have addressed the issue and it should be resolved.

It is true that we do not have individual fires in our RV area as it is a safety concern. However, there certainly should have been a community fire during your stay and I am disappointed that it was overlooked!

Again, thank you for your stay and review. Safe travels!

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

The customer service at registration was friendly and helpful. Beautiful views all the way around. The grounds our nice and kept up.

After that out experience was disappointing. Tried to order ice cream but was ignored for 15 min. due to clerk was too busy talking to a friend so we left. Went to watch showing of Close Encounters (outdoors on a 50" TV) but the kitchen exhaust fans were so loud you couldn't hear it so we called it an early night.

Still had fun at Devil's Tower just not worth the $50 to stay at this KOA. Might try one of the other campgrounds next time.

Stayed: July 2014

Hello,

Let me start by saying thank you for staying with us and leaving feedback. Your comments are appreciated as they assist us in making the needed corrections. I am happy to hear that the front desk staff greeted you properly and were helpful. However, I am so sorry that your experience with our sweet shoppe staff was not as appropriate. The staff in that department have been addressed with your complaint specifically being discussed. Should you ever happen to visit us again, please ask for me for a free ice cream!

With regard to the movie issues- we have a new kitchen this year with a much more powerful hood system, thus the noise levels are much higher. We did not anticipate this, but are working on moving the movie to a new, quieter location.

Thank you also for your comments regarding the views and grounds. We have developed more landscaping and grounds-work this year and are pleased to hear you like the results!

I hope you enjoy your travels!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at this KOA due to it's proximity to Devils Tower. Literally right next to the gate. You can see Devils Tower Monument from most of the sites. The hosts(I think owners) were quite helpful and you could see proud of their business, we stayed in site 57(July 12) a back in water/electric site at the end of the row. It was extremely clean, grassy and much larger than typical KOA campground sites. Wifi could have been better but considering location it was adequate. The campground shows Third Encounters of the Third Kind nightly on the patio, we didn't go see it as we had a copy in our trailer. There were no fire pits on individual sites, but a nice community ring. One thing that impressed us was when we decided to check out a day early to meet timings for another reservation; we checked out after 11:00 AM time and received a refund which we weren't looking for or even asked for. Customer service at this place was beyond what we expected. We will definitely go back again if in the area. I highly recommend this KOA. Really a beautiful campground, you can even see it briefly in the Close Encounters movie.

Room Tip: Great campground, ask for a site with a view of a Devils Tower. Also has cabins.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Andrea W, General Manager at Devils Tower KOA, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

What a great response, thank you for your positive feedback! Our location at the foot of Devils Tower is one of our best features, but we also work hard to keep our facilities clean and to make improvements as we can. The Driskill family has ranched near Devils Tower since 1886 and started the KOA in 1977. We take great pride in our business and hope that we can continue to provide good service and a fantastic camping experience for all our visitors. Thanks again and happy travels!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The best part of the KOA is the view of Devil's Tower. We stayed in a cabin next to the beautiful river and a view of the tower when we woke up. The people that work for the KOA are very rude and offer very little help. We had a very loud night with a Cycle America camp set near us and KOA did nothing to stop it..it went on until 1am. We talked with someone at the front and all that they said was that the group would never do that. Well my lack of sleep tells me another story. The next day at 5 am a man that works for KOA was riding around on his 4 wheeler and making sure to wake up everyone...not sure what he was doing because we watched him just drive around in circles for an hour with his loud engine. No hay ride and the pool was very very dirty. The bathrooms are also run down and dirty. I understand this is camping but this was not camping dirt this was lack of caring from the people that run the place.

Room Tip: Cabin #5 is the best!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Andrea W, General Manager at Devils Tower KOA, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for your response. It is only with the feedback of our guests that we can continue to make improvements. I am sorry to hear that a large group was loud and your requests for assistance from the front desk staff were not handled appropriately. This has been addressed with the staff, as has the gentleman on the 4-wheeler. Please know that we do care about our property and our guests. We are working hard to upgrade and maintain the facilities. I'm sorry you were not able to enjoy our hayride, but due to large amounts of rain that fell during the early season and washed out the road it is unsafe at this time. Repairs are being made and we are hoping to have it up and running soon. I hope that if you are ever in the area again you will offer us another opportunity to meet your needs.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My first camping experience in some time. There was no litter, facilities were clean, and the view was AMAZING. All campsites were in one field, but there was a lot of grass, nearby trash dumpsters that were maintained, and it wasn't too crowded at the time. However, the bathrooms near the camping area were undergoing maintenance. There was no soap or paper towels or a hand dryer in the bathroom. My husband said the men's room consisted of an open area with one toilet (in a space where multiple urinals and stalls previously occupied). If this maintenance were completed and facilities were better stocked, I would have been even happier. I will add that we were pleased to get a jump start in the morning when we awoke to a car with a dead battery. The gentleman in the front office didn't seem to be super pleased to be aggravated with this distraction, but he jumped in his car and was helping my husband before I walked back to our campsite. Thank you!

Room Tip: The Wifi was not fantanstic, but my husband noted that there was a router placed in the camping area...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for providing us with some great feedback. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us, although there were some unfinished construction projects at the time of your stay. We are working had to improve the outdated facilities and I apologize for the inconvenience. Please know that the lower shower-house restrooms have been completed. I would like to apologize for the men's restroom, it shouldn't have been opened yet during your stay! I am glad to hear that you got on the road safely after a jump and the issue with less than accommodating staff has been addressed. Please come back and visit us again!

Been to Devils Tower KOA? Share your experiences!