“Perfect to gather with friends”
Review of Fort Casey Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coupeville
Fort Casey Inn
Ranked #4 of 13 Coupeville B&B and Inns
Bellingham, Washington
“Perfect to gather with friends”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Fort Casey Inn was a perfect place for us to gather with friends. Each family had their own space. The rooms and living areas were spacious. All the kids (10) could gather in the living room to play games and the parents enjoy time on the porch. As we checked out we were ready to book it for the next year. Everything was clean and comfortable. They don't have many picnic tables so be sure to bring a picnic blanket if you are going to enjoy eating outside. We enjoyed the surroundings within Fort Casey along with the beaches, the ferry, the trails etc.

Room Tip: These are duplex style old Victorian homes. We had 4 families staying and so we were in 4 different...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
FCIManager, Manager at Fort Casey Inn, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Hi Shannon,
Thank you for your comments about your time with us in August. We are delighted to have so many children and families visitng. I hope you were able to enjoy the outdoor pool as well? Bikes (with helmets!) are another great thing to bring! Thank you for your comment about the picnic tables, we are working to have more available next summer. We look forwar to your return!
-Robyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Shoreline, Washington
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We were glad to find this getaway spot- for my husband and myself and our two girls ages 7 and 10. The homes feel like home- and are great for a family like ours-full kitchen for making breakfast or dinner (sparing us the expense of eating in restaurants the length of our stay), two bedrooms that have plenty of space and the bath was quite adequate for us.The fireplace in the living room was wonderful. Everything was immaculate. We appreciated the history of the area and the beach was great. One day the wind was howling and we got to experience real winter weather on the Sound! And that wasn't a bad thing this time. Great views out to the straits and beyond. I can understand the negative reviews-these are just comfortable, not fancy, but met our expectations. The staff was very helpful and honest. I thought they took good care of us. We'd go back again.

Room Tip: The one thing that seems to be the biggest concern is the bathrooms. Remember that these are 100 ye...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dana H
FCIManager, Manager at Fort Casey Inn, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Hi Dana,
Thank you for taking the time to review your family time with us. It makes a comfortable family get away and I’m glad you enjoyed the surroundings and the opportunity to cook on your own. To experience the weather on a blustery day is a fun unique experience, glad you were able to! We hope to see you again soon.
-Robyn
Whidbey Island
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We rented one of the cottages for a weekend. It was a wonderful stay. The cottages still have that old feel, real banging screen doors, large kitchen with everything that one would need, it is furnished like one as stepped into another time, but with everything modern that anyone would need. it is difficult to describe. From the front, upstairs window, there is a beautiful view of the vast lawns, deer grazing and beyond the ferry coming in. There are many places to walk and just see the beautiful surroundings. I love this place.

Room Tip: I think that each cottage and layout is the same. One bedroom in front and one in back, upstairs, w...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
FCIManager, Manager at Fort Casey Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Thank you for your comments about your stay with us. We too love it here and hope you will return. In May or June the offsprings of the deer you enjoyed will be back! All cottages are the same layout, with a little different decoration.
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Our stay was March 3-5, 2012

When my sister and I decided we wanted to take a Spring vacation weekend we thought about the Coupeville Mussel Festival since it had recently been featured in our Sunday paper’s travel section. Maggie has actually lived on Whidbey Island for a couple years while her first husband was in the Navy and stationed there. I, on the other hand, had never visited the area and was much more familiar with the other coast (read Main, Massachusetts, New Jersey…). Anyway, this was a chance to get out of the Tri-Cities and see some trees. The festival sounded like fun too!
This review isn’t about the festival however I’ll come back to that another time. I want to share with you folks my comments about the place we stayed named Fort Casey Inn a couple miles out to town and many years removed from today’s concept of a hotel. I really want to take this time to review the Inn since many of the reviews I read while looking for a place to stay were so negative.
For the record, we stayed in unit 1 in the first house and it was certainly quite clean. I can’t tell you the condition of any of the other units. We almost didn’t go here because of all the comments from previous guests who said the place was dirty. I even called back after making our initial reservation and spoke with Patty just to ask if she was aware of the bad comments and what her thoughts were. She assured me she had stayed there herself and would do so again if the opportunity arose. So, with some lingering concern we kept our reservation and decided to make the best of it. Go, stay and if it was not what we expected, never come back.
I am so happy we decided to stay there. These houses are exactly as described in the literature with lovely front porches and comfortable Adirondack chairs to sit and take in the view of the fields and marshland rolling toward the bay in front of the house. Each house is a two story duplex unit. The kitchen is a typical old country kitchen with a huge window over the small dining table, tall wooden cabinets and some period knick knacks. There is ample kitchenware, an electric stove, microwave oven, fridge toaster even a cork screw and wine glasses. There is dishwasher and plenty of supplies.
Caution, when you enter the house you come in from the backdoor into an enclosed porch area and there is a tendency to carry in pine needles and other debris from the outside if it’s been raining. There is a broom and dustpan to tidy up so you don’t drag stuff into the living room and kitchen.
From the kitchen you enter the living room that has a gas fired free standing stove that provides plenty of heat and a great deal of charm for the for the romantically inclined. There is no internet, phone or TV. This place is perfect for getting away from the nonsense of our daily lives and just sitting back and relaxing. Sitting out front on the porch with a glass of wine after dinner listening to the night sounds was so peaceful. And the fresh scent of the forest and rain on the air just after spring rainfall was more that we could have expected.
The second floor has a bathroom and two bedrooms. Please note, the stair treads are VERY narrow and you should be careful here. This is typical of older houses of this era. Additionally, be careful when you first come downstairs. Since the ceilings are quite high and rooms so tall the stairwell is not just steeper than you’re used to but there are more stairs than the average house. Both my sister and I stumbled with the last few steps the first time and we both commented on it, just a note of caution.
OK, here is the bad part. The term bed and board must have been invented for the mattresses. That is the only really negative thing I have to say about our experience. The mattresses in both bedrooms were the hardest I’ve ever seen. So make a note.
There is plenty of hot water in the bathroom and there is an old fashioned, cast iron, claw footed bath tub. I did ask Debbie about a shower in the house since I prefer a shower and some of the literature had stated that a couple of the units only had bathtubs. I was assured our unit had a shower. Well, it did but it was one of those hand held units that are almost useless except for rinsing out the tub after taking a bath. Yes, I was disappointed with not having a legitimate shower but I made the best of it.
The bottom line here is that this is a wonderful, charming, quiet and peaceful place to stay in amongst the tall pines with lovely views and few distractions. It’s clean and well maintained and the staff is very nice. I’d go back I a heartbeat and just might for next year’s Mussel Festival.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank James S
FCIManager, Manager at Fort Casey Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to visit us and review. The Mussel Festival is a great time to visit the Island. We are updating our mattresses at the Inn and have taken note of your comments. We do have some units with showers, and others with clawfoot tubs with hand held sprayers. We try to make mention to all guests about this and apologize we missed the mention. Your comments are correct about the description of the homes and the historic nature. We hope you will return too!
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 9 September 2012

There were 6 of us, 2 adults and 4 kids 3-13. We had so much fun wandering the beach, visiting the battlements, watching the orcas, sea lions, seals, and playing in the water. There was a heated pool available to us b/c it was summer-wonderful! If I was to back I'd take our bikes (it's only a few miles to Coupeville) and our tennis rackets. The kids loved all the exploring. We had deer for our neighbors. The kitchen had service for six. For this price it was well worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennifer H
FCIManager, Manager at Fort Casey Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Thank you for your comments about your stay. We too love the pool in the summer and the bike idea is a great one! Some guests also bring binoculars to check out the bird watching on Crockett Lake or behind their rental! We hope you'll come back again.
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My husband and I just stayed at Fort Casey Inn over the Labor Day weekend. It was wonderfully restful and relaxing like always. We have stayed there many times and can't stop coming back. There are so many great places to visit and explore in the surrounding area. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: When making reservations it might be helpful to choose a Unit with a shower. Clawfoot tubs are nice...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Becky1012
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed 30 August 2012

These are officer quarters at historic Fort Casey. The porches overlook an inlet and farm fields. There is a full kitchen, living room, two bedrooms and a bathroom. Bathrooms vary from shower stalls to tubs, depending on the unit.

If you are like me, the solitude, stars, views, and the feel of these old houses make the stay absolutely wonderful. If you are someone who insists on all of the amenities, and loves prettied- up historical houses, the Fort Casey Inn is not for you. These houses have industrical carpet and old (but very clean) linolium and appliances.

The staff is wonderful, the units very clean, and the experience unique and wonderful

Room Tip: Some units only have bathtubs, some only showers.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Lois2272
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coupeville
Best Western Plus Oak Harbor Hotel and Conference Center
#2 of 4 in Oak Harbor
Inn at Langley
Inn at Langley
#2 of 16 in Langley

Been to Fort Casey Inn? Share your experiences!