“Magical evening alone with Captain Whidbey”

Captain Whidbey Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Coupeville
Portland, OR
“Magical evening alone with Captain Whidbey”
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

I had a very unique experience at the Captain Whidbey Inn, so I don't know how useful my review will be. My stay does demonstrate the friendly and accommodating efforts of the staff, and I can speak to the high quality of the facilities. I stayed for one night as I was driving back to Portland from BC in late spring 2011. It was mid-week, and it must have been a little bit of lull in the pre-summer season vacation cycle. When I checked in, the young woman at the desk asked me if I wanted to upgrade my room free of charge. It turns out I was the only person booked in the inn that night! No reflection on the inn, I think it was just one of those slow business days any small hotel might have. She gave me my choice of rooms, and I chose to stay in the Captain Whidbey suite. It is a beautiful room, but not really a suite, because you use a shared bathroom like the other rooms in the old inn building. It does have a sitting area, and a beautiful view of the water. The bed was extremely comfortable. Since I was the only one there, I didn't have to "share" the bathroom and I didn't have to deal with any noise, so I can't comment on any problems people might have along those lines. The young woman on duty offered to let me use one of the cabin hot tubs when I came in from dinner (again due to the unique circumstances, and not something people should expect, but it was another instance of the staff going beyond what they were required to do) and it was great. The Inn is atmospheric and rustic in the best sense of the word. I loved it, and would stay there again (I have no problem with the shared bathrooms!), but it probably is not for everyone. Those wanting more privacy and modern amenities should opt for a cabin, and I think they also have a modern building with rooms. The grounds are beautiful and the setting is superb. I had a very restful night all on my own (except for one staff person somewhere on the property). My only disappointment was that I didn't meet the ghost of the Captain at any point during the night. If you like character and quirkiness the Captain Whidbey Inn is perfect, I hope they never change it.

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Renton, Washington
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Surpassed my expectations. Water view room has an amazing view. I didn't know about the shared bathroom but I'm pleasantly surprised. Makes me feel like I'm eleven again at camp. I love that you can escape from the real world but still be relatively close to home. They make you feel as if your home. I'd step down stairs or in the library to knit/read. Best place to sit is in front of the huge fireplace. I'm very happy I found that group-on, I will be back!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My daughter, new grand daughter and I decided to opt for a Groupon to a small resort on Whidbey island. We were totally astonished when we arrived. The Inn is log cabin construction and is very old. There was something quite captivating, about the crooked floors, exposed logs and massive fireplace. We weren't prepared for tiny rooms and a bath shared with all guests, but it really was ok. The saving grace was my daughter's new baby. Babies are not allowed in the rooming house area, so she was offered a small cabin. It was wonderful with separate bedroom, small kitchen, wood burning fireplace and hot tub outside the door. The grounds were perfectly maintained and quite beautiful. We enjoyed lunch and dinner on the large deck facing the water. We enjoyed each meal and our surroundings. Only two disadvantages with this resort: they are not pet friendly, so my little 12 pound dog had to sleep in the car. Brrrr...! Maintenance can be a little slow. The hot tub quit working and no one was available to repair until after our checkout. Other than that, we are considering returning to make it an annual event. The ferry ride was a fun addition.

Room Tip: Unless you really want to experience an old fashioned boarding house, opt for a cabin. If the boardi...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dedi S
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I have been camping on Widbey Island since the late '70's, but this was my first time in more refined accommodation on this NW Washington island. The Captain Widbey Inn is located on the east coast of the island, on a small peninsula between Oak Harbour and the quaint little town of Coupeville. The original part of the Inn is just over 100 years old and is constructed of logs and local stone. The staff were very friendly and helpful and check-in went very smoothly.

The accommodation is divided between rooms on the upper floor of the Inn, two story motel-style lagoon rooms, and small cabins. The rooms in the Inn are small with a bed and a wash basin; the shared bathrooms are "down the hall". The lagoon rooms are larger, with an ensuite three piece bathroom, and a nice view over the adjacent lagoon. The cabins vary in size and amenities, and overlook the inlet side of the small peninsula. Two of the cabins have hot tubs (despite what another reviewer says). We stayed in one of the lagoon rooms using a discount coupon, $189.00 for two nights with a $15.00 discount in the restaurant. Furnishings are simple and showing their age, however, everything is clean and functional. There is no TV in the rooms, and WiFi is available only in the lobby.

The restaurant and bar are adjacent to the lobby and have a great view over Penn Cove. Be warned that these are both closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. The focus of the food is on seafood, the prices are on the high side and the portions on the small side. My wife and I stayed here in the last week of November and the temperatures at night were close to freezing, unfortunately, neither of the fireplaces had fires and both the tavern and the restaurant were too cool to be enjoyable (this is something the management should correct). The staff were helpful and obliging.

The location is convenient for visiting both Oak Harbour and Coupeville, and is only a short drive from Deception Pass.

Would I stay here again ? Honestly, I don't know. The room we stayed in would have been $175 per night before taxes ... for a simple room, aging fittings, no TV, no WiFi.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul B
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here on Friday and Saturday evening. We got a groupon special for 169 and around 200 after taxes. Price was reasonable. We stayed in the inn which was very rustic and we both thought the lobby was very cozy. Our room was small with a sink which was nice so you didn't have to go down the hall to the shared bathroom if you needed water. Biggest complaint: inn is so old that walls are extremely thin. First night the drunks congregated in hallway outside our room making it impossible to sleep. Beds are uncomfortable but I have a bad back. The next night a couple sat in the hallway arguing about every day things in life. They were not raising their voice but again...thin walls. The restaurant was good but continental breakfast is worth skipping. Drive to Coupeville to eat breakfast. I was hoping for peace and quiet and got "drunk and loud". Felt like staff should have done better maintaining the noise level at night

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dave C
Sherwood, Oregon
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have been waiting patiently to stay at the Capt Whidbey Inn since 1993! Great romantic place to get away with stunning views around the island. Everything met my high expectations until it was all trumped by the employee on the phone who lied to us. We called ahead of time to confirm they had a hot tub. We weren't sure if we should get the cabin or an inn room. The deciding factor was "the hot tub". She said all cabins have their own hot tub which sounded tempting, except for the high price. She reassured us there was also a community hot tub to use as an option instead of having our own. When we got there and all ready to enjoy a hot soak...NO COMMUNITY HOT TUB! AND, the cabins don't even have their own hot tubs. There was one hot tub for only the cabin users and it wasn't even warm! Other than the deception, the tavern was charming with great service and food, the breakfast was pretty good (except for the first morning when they ran out of coffee and didn't know how to make more....not as upsetting to us as other guests), and the grounds and place was rustic and romantic. Tempting to want to go back...except for being lied to ends that reality real quick! To add insult to injury...a few weeks later there was a groupon deal for half the price we paid! So disappointing, we could have been return customers.

Room Tip: The inn rooms are very small and romantic. Beds were very comfortable and warm. However, it's...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank prestonlisa35
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 9 November 2013

If you're ready to spend 1,5 hrs drive with ferry from Seattle, Captain Whidbey Inn is a good place to stay. It's relaxing, comfortable atmosphere, and friendly people there. It is old renovated building on the shore of Penn Cove near Couperville. Couple of days would be a good timeframe.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coupeville
Best Western Plus Oak Harbor Hotel and Conference Center
Blue Goose Inn Bed and Breakfast
Harbor Inn
Harbor Inn
#1 of 1 in Freeland

Been to Captain Whidbey Inn? Share your experiences!