“a pleasant surprise”

aloft Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #56 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 29 November 2013

the room was clean and nicely appointed, 24-hr food available in the lobby, helpful staff, computers available for printing out boarding passes and an airport shuttle that was on-time. nothing to complain about with this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank a-lady-who-lunches
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at aloft Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear a-lady-who-lunches,
Thank you for sharing. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and was able to take advantage of our food options, computer terminals, and free airport shuttle. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I booked 2 rooms for my mother and I 5 months in advance and paid in full, almost 2k for our 5 day stay. We arrived from the airport at 2 am, and waited almost an hour for a shuttle. When we got inside a young woman, who seemed more interested with a personal conversation on the phone, told us she did not have a room. Mind you. My mother was coming in the following day by car, and they informed us they would not have her room either. They were overbooked, and while they had my money, they could not guarantee one room, let alone 2 until Monday (it was Friday). I was exhausted and the employee seemed to have more excuses than solutions. She offered to refund my money within 10'days and let us 'find' a new hotel. Because there were 2 other Sheraton brand hotels nearby, I asked if we could at least sleep in one for the night until we could figure it out.....by the time we got a shuttle to the sister hotel it was almost 5:30 am. Of course I booked the aloft because it is modern in decor and trendy, I didn't want to stay at their sister hotel....no worries, the 'replacement' hotel was falling apart and considered an emergency room, and they were bed bug treating on our floor quite openly with Orkin. Needless to say I payed almost double for last minute reservations at the airport Marriott....when I wrote corporate Sheraton did nothing......I never received any compensation for the experience or treatment. Stay away!

Room Tip: Just stay away.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at aloft Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Jenna M,
We're sorry for the inconveniences during your recent stay in Philadelphia. We would like to discuss your experience with you personally. Please reach out to our General Manager, Casey, at casey.crowley@starwoodhotels.com. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

I liked this hotel a lot. It is cheerful and a little different. The room wasn't big, but I never felt cramp. Everything was very clean and although room decor was spare it was neither cheap nor barren looking. Exercise room was small, but just fine for me.

Usually there was just one person working the front desk and that was never enough. So the phone could ring endlessly or you could have three check-ins in front of you when you had a simple question or a store purchase. Also, I was quoted one price and charged $20 more. When I tried to challenge it I was told the difference was tax. That wasn't true, because I was hit with tax on top of the higher price. So although I liked the hotel, next time I will be a bit more forceful and check the folio before I leave the building. Overall, with the caveat of checking your statement before you sign off I'd recommend the property to anyone.

Room Tip: I suspect higher rooms are a little quieter, and of course, away from the elevator always works.
1  Thank Harris A
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The aloft Philadelphia Airport is located in a gated area across from the airport. The hotel is smaller than other nearby hotels but has its own charm. Its modern, sleek decor is what sets the property apart. In many ways the hotel is more of a boutique hotel than a large business hotel such as the nearby Hilton hotel. The lobby is very comfortable with seats, a bar, and a small snack area. A fitness room and pool are located right off the lobby. The front desk is located inside a circular area inside the lobby.

Perhaps the first thing a visitor might notice is the nice smell that is piped into the air. For me this was quite pleasant but some may have differing opinions. The sleek lighting and amenities make the hotel stand out among the usual types. Check in was fairly fast, depending on the line of people checking in. The staff were very friendly helpful during my stay.

The room was interesting. The front part of the room included the bed, a small desk, and a tv on the wall. In the back area, divided by a wall, there is a restroom and shower. The arrangement makes the room feel a bit smaller than in other hotels. The room was very clean and everything worked. The bed was comfortable but sometimes the mattress would move around on the platform. Not a big thing but it was noticeable. The tv was quite nice and had a great sound system. If there was one downside, it was the WIFI Internet connection. The service was free but very slow throughout my stay. It was slower than my 3G cell phone at times.

The pool was open from early in the morning until 11am which was quite nice, especially when working during the day. One downside was that the pool was not heated, at least not during my stay. The pool room was also a bit chilly but not terribly. The pool is fairly small with a few lounge chairs. Its convenient but not great. A fitness room was also open for guests.

A bar is located directly in the lobby with a seating area situated with a large HDTV. Guests could sit and use their laptops or converse with other guests. The lobby had a very cozy if small feel to it and if one desired there were lots of times that one could mingle if desired.

Overall the hotel was a great stay. The ambiance was nice with many modern amenities including an interesting seating area outside of the lobby area. One pet peeve was the parking which is $12 a night. However, the hotel was still a great place to get away for a night during business.

1  Thank Kenneth E

Dear Kenneth E,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Last minute trip resulted in my walking into the hotel without a reservation.
Secured a good rate. Wonderful staff. Clean and modern room with working internet and thermostat.
Would highly recommend this hotel for anyone planning short business trip to the Philly area.
Thank you!

Room Tip: Room on highest floor furthest away from elevators was very quite.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at aloft Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Businesstravel999,
Thank you for choosing Aloft Hotels for your last minute trip and taking a chance with us. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your time here and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Aloft is beautiful, the hotel has a real modern feel to it with bright lights and colors. We went on a trip with our kids (age 5 and 9) and the loved it, they felt like we were somewhere real fancy. We checked into Aloft on a Friday night, so we expected a wait at check-in, it wasn't that bad--maybe 10 minutes--although I guess when you're holding some bags and watching your kids at the same time, 10 minutes can seem like a long time. We were given a room on the first floor near the bar. We were worried that we would hear bar noise or music, but the door separating the bar space from the hallway where the rooms were must have been sound proof because we didn't hear a thing. Our first night was sweet, the room was small but space efficient with the backboards of the bed doubling as shelfing space and room divider. The one setback was how close your bed is to the bathroom. They offer free internet, which is a plus, but their food options leave something to be desired. Our second day, there was a terrible smell coming from the shower. I believe this was only a problem in our particular room so I will not take points away from them for a problem I'm sure could happen anywhere. They very quickly searched for a new room for us. When they didn't have one available, they offered us a better room at the Sheraton Suites (also a Starwood hotel and also right next door). They comped our parking too, so I can't complain. Great stay, the pool was cool and the bar scene is cool for young people--too bad we had our kids with us.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, avoid the first floor only because the rooms face the parking lot and...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed here with my family as I had a late flight arrival. Located 5-6 mins away from the airport connected via shuttle every 20 mins.Check in was fast. When we were going towards our room there were 8-9 kids screaming going to the pool at 11 PM at night and when I am almost near our room and ready to put in my card to open the door, I hear banging, moaning from the next door and it was pretty loud and obvious as to what they were doing. I was very embarrassed as I had my daughter with me. I wanted to pick up the receiver and complain but then I thought its not the fault of the people working in the front desk. Room was okay, needs new rug and other things, check pictures and definitely some more space. Wear & tear MUST be fixed. The phone in the room says complimentary local calls but none gets connected so had to use my cell phone. Internet also didn't get connected. Also, I feel paying for parking for guests really doesn't make sense but anyways. Its okay for 1-2 days only if the price is nominal...no point paying more than $90

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family