“Too Tiny for Two”

Ranked #55 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
New England
“Too Tiny for Two”
Reviewed 5 March 2009

I've stayed at a couple of these hotels now, solo and with spouse- and this room was not comfortable for two people. This hotel scores high on cleanliness because it is new. It's a fun and funky design that doesn't take long before it begins to wear on you . The front desk staff need further training as they were unaware of Starwood Program benefits. Because it is a new concept I'm sure they are stil working out the kinks so here's how I see it.

Cons: Trying too hard to be trendy, relevant, and unique. Overbearing music at check in (confirms my old age). Room size: 2's a crowd. Over priced food, liquid soap (i prefer bars), Big Screen TV interface (no one could get it to work- the second Aloft property that had this problem), noisy HVAC, charged for parking

Pro: Rooms comfortable for one person. creative way of fitting all the design elements into a compact area, the sink area is outside of the shower toilet, tubless Shower, Big Screen TV.

I'd stay here when the price is $120 or below.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
texas
Reviewed 3 March 2009

we love starwood hotels and this was our first stay at an aloft. at first, we were a little disappointed that the room was a bit smaller and there wasn't a restaurant, etc. but then we realized that the aloft concept is specifically designed to be more minimalistic. everything in the rooms is more compact [similar to a "loft"] but is clean, modern, and very nice. the rooms offers a generous-sized flat panel lcd tv, complimentary bottles of water, bliss bath products, small coffee maker, and most importantly for us, FREE wi-fi! the lobby is a great place to hang out - cool vibe and music. there's also a decent sized gym. the airport shuttle is shared with the airport sheraton and four points and runs regularly. and if you want to eat a meal, it's a short walk to either the sheraton and four points restaurants.

overall, i think this hotel is an excellent value for the price. you just need to know what to expect - simple but trendy. best for business travelers, singles or couples. probably too small and inconvenient for a family.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
PA
Reviewed 3 March 2009

We checked in early Friday evening before an early Saturday morning flight. The room was nice. It was new and clean. It seemed a little small but I think it was more that the layout was not typical. We went to bed early due to the early flight the next day. We were awoke at 11pm by very loud music. Apparently the lobby had been rented out for a party. We could hear the music even though we were on the 5th floor. I called the lobby several times before they even picked up. Once they did I couldn't even hear them due to the music being so loud. The music didn't stop until 2am. When we checked out the next morning the lobby looked like it had been trashed. There were empty drinks and trash everywhere. I am perusing a refund from the hotel as we were not told at booking or at check in that there would be a party that day. This hotel obviously values the revenue they receive over renting out the lobby over their hotel guests.

1 Thank emilymad
NJ
Reviewed 27 February 2009

We liked the Aloft and had a great one night stay there prior to an early flight. We had already eaten dinner downtown and were there for sleeping and parking, what we got was that and more. We r a family of 4 and the kids had a blast, playing pool with us and using the free computers to check on their internet stuff. My Husband and I enjoyed a drink and the staff at the bar and front desk were great! After that the kids took a swim and we were the only ones in the pool, again they were very happy. The pool was very clean and had plenty of towels and a shower to rinse off. Back to the room for real showers and sleep. The room was great for us, yes it could use some art work and it is a bit dorm like, but it was comfortable. The kids and I sleep well, my husband did not. We were up early grabbed a quick sandwich downstairs, which wasn't that great and hoped on the shuttle. Next time we will just get breakfast in the terminal, but the snack and things at the hotel were good enough for a one night stay. The shuttle was fine getting to the airport, but on the way home we waited about 20-30 minutes and you must remember to call when you are heading to baggage, so they are there for you. All in all I would go back and we had a great night! :)

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed 20 February 2009

Stayed for one night before an early morning flight. If you're not a hipster who doesn't mind no amenities whatsover, do not stay at this hotel. No glasses in room, no ice buckets ("guests stole them") no vending machines save the area in the lobby that was virtually empty, really nothing but a bed and good HDTV. Blasting music in the lobby was really unerving after a 90 minute drive. And then who wants to go to the lobby for everything with the music blasting.

We didn't have a problem with the parking and the front desk staff tried to be helpful, but come on, give me an old fashioned hotel with some amenities, please! Even motels have vending machines.

New Jersey
Reviewed 11 February 2009

I had read the reviews about this hotel so I was skeptical about staying here, but it was a new hotel so my husband and I decided to give it a try. When we arrived, we were greeted by a lovely young woman; in fact, all of the front desk staff was extremely kind and professional. They were also knowledgeable about the area and worked their hardest to accommodate our needs.

The room decor was nice, but the room was not clean; I thought since this was such a new hotel, it would be cleaner, but there was dirt, dust and stains all over the room. The hallways also looked like they hadn't been vacuumed ever and there were dirty footprints everywhere.

There was a nice lobby that had a D.J. after 10pm. If you don't like loud music, this is not where you want to stay. My husband and I enjoyed the music and lobby; we had a couple drinks and it was nice. (very expensive, but nice)

The hotel does not offer a restaurant...therefore, no room service. It does have a small assortment of sandwiches, fruit and snacks, etc.. There are restaurants at the Four Points and Sheraton Suites across the street. We ate at the Four Points and the food and service were very good.

My major problem with this hotel is that I was charged a $55.00 "incidentals fee" THREE days after we left the hotel. When I called the hotel to question this expense, I was told that it was for incidentals "just in case something happened". When I asked why I wasn't charged this fee prior to or during my stay, I was put on hold and "accidentally" disconnected. As of right now, I still haven't heard back from aLoft concerning this charge.

I wouldn't go back to this hotel. I'd much rather stay at the Sheraton Suites.

• Liked — Front desk and lounge
  • Disliked — Dirty rooms, floors and hidden charges.
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 9 February 2009

My admin contacted the hotel due to a sold out condition at the Marriott (which is right at the PHL airport) that I usually stay in. She had never heard of Aloft and took a chance - she will not be taking that kind of chance in the future! The location is close to the airport and the staff that greeted me was very friendly. However, what I found lacking was how little I was told about how the location differed from your typical hotel. I was not given anything other than a room key and thankfully only had my one carry on bag to pull as there seemed to be no bell person to assist anyone. There was dance music playing in the lobby (and the elevator) but not so loud as to be intrusive to me. However, working there I would probably end up shooting the speakers off the wall after a while. The hallways of the hotel were unexpectedly wide and nicely laid out but the room really set me back. I walked into my king room and was immediately in the bathroom area. Right in front of me was a large wall and around to the front of it was the bed with little built in side tables, a large flat screen opposite it on the wall with a bench under it, a small desk next to the TV, a circa 1970 heating cooling unit and that’s all folks! I really did just stand there and turn in a circle for a moment thinking what the… just could not believe I was basically in a dorm room. There was no information anywhere! I had to call down to the desk asking for an iron and ironing board to be brought to my room and they told me it was in my room already in an alcove hideaway on the opposite side of the bed. I had to inquire ‘how do you expect people to know this?’ The ironing board is very tiny so I ironed on the bed. Not amused. Also, when I went to wash up (great Bliss products by the way!) I found I was given only one wash cloth one hand towel and one bath towel. So I called down and was told that I could come pick up additional towels from the front desk. Okkkkk hummm…what about room service? They had none just a enhanced vending machine option with a microwave in the lobby. I saw that service area, called Fuel, but thought it was like a snack shop. I thought that the restaurant was some place out of view but never thought it would be not nonexistent! When I came down to find something to eat they told me I could sit at the bar for wings and such or walk over to one of the other nearby hotels for a sit down restaurant. As I walked out in the snow I really wished I was staying at any of the other locations vs. where I was. I had dinner nearby walked back (had started snowing again) and tried to settle into the room but the shades on the windows blocked little light it just poured in on the sides and was really annoying. Bed was basic nothing heavenly about it but it was ok. Only had 2 very soft pillows and didn’t feel like trekking downstairs to get another one so just dealt with it. All in all this is not a great place for the business traveler at least none that I know. And my rate was only 25.00 cheaper then I normally get at the Marriott. I was able to leave my car there for a low rate of 6.00 per day and take their shuttle. Which was fine but once the shuttle got to me it had filled up so I was left standing while it made the rounds to other hotels. They only have a mini bus. When I returned I lucked into walking out the doors at the airport and the shuttle was just pulling up. However, the parking fee was not charged to my room like it was supposed to be for the 1 night I stayed there and when I went back in to pay for the other nights my car sat there I was told I had to pay in cash they will not let you pay with a credit card for parking but you can use it for the rooms??? When I didn't have enough in cash I was told that I could go out to the booth and pay with a card there. After waiting in the car line for 15 mins while every car that approached the gate had some issue or another with a few needing all of us to back up so they could go back to the hotel it was my turn. Well I found out that not only could they not take any money (cash or credit) at the gate I had to insert a room key - that the hotel took back from me when I checked out! I told the gate agent to look me in my eyes and understand that either they were taking my card and charging me or they were lifting the gate and it was free. But I was not moving - game over! They let me go. I was very serious! In summary- I felt like I was working during my stay and not a guest.

• Liked — Bliss products - actually bought some when I got home
  • Disliked — The lack of even a tent card saying - How we are different from your typical place- would help!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business