“One of a kind!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“One of a kind!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2010

I live in Philly and have been to WXYZ (bar/lounge) in the hotel lobby for a drink. The DJ's music on Fridays and Saturdays is better than a lot of clubs in Center City. The vibe is very relaxed and comfortable. Plush couches everywhere, a pool table, and a mini-bar. There is even an outdoor lounge for all the smokers still out there. Nice on a summer night. It's a perfect place to take a date. This was the first time I had a chance to stay for the weekend, though. I highly recommend it. The managers were one of a kind. I had a minor issue with my reservation and the staff (Tameka & Daryl) went above and beyond my expectations to make sure that I had everything I needed and more! I will be going back!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2010

We have visited the Philadelphia area many times over the last 4 years while our daughter has been in college in the area. Usually we've stayed in the Hampton at the airport, but I chose Aloft this time because the rates were attractive and it looked like a fun place. I should have stayed with the place that gave us good, reliable service.

When we arrived at the hotel, we discovered that there was a charge to park in the lot. I would swear that this wasn't on the website when I reserved in October, but I could be wrong. In any case, when we began the check in process, I complained about this and pointed out that no other hotel in the area other than the 3 Sheratons in this complex charged for parking. The answer I got from the gentleman at the desk was that they charged because the parking was "secure". There is nothing secure about this parking lot-it's open all around except at the entrance and exit, where you slide your room card or pick up a ticket. To charge for parking in a completely unprotected lot and then claim that it's secure is an assumption that the guests are stupid. I requested that the parking fee be waived, and it was.

I had booked 3 rooms, two kings and a 2 queen. One of our party checked in before we arrived. He had reserved a king but was given a queen. We tried to check into the queen and king and were told that no queens were left 'because we're full this weekend". This nonsense infuriates me. What's the point of booking months in advance and allowing the charge to go onto your credit card if your room isn't held for you? The clerk then denied that I had booked the rooms I had reserved. I showed him the printout I'd made from the reservation confirmations, on which I'd just printed the pertinent information and deleted the greeting and so forth, and he told me that this didn't come from their website. I was speechless. We had to show him the actual mail on a BlackBerry to get him to acknowledge that I hadn't made this all up.

That's when we got the runaround about the rooms. I was pretty frustrated by now (I started off irritated by the parking lot scam, so it didn't take much) and kept asking the clerk how we could resolve the problem. He simply repeated that the hotel was full. Then, the person who checked in early began to listen to the conversation and he told us that he had gotten a queen. It turned out that the person who checked him in didn't use his confirmation number but just looked at the name the reservation was under and gave him a room. if she'd done her job all of that hassle would have been avoided. There was no apology, no awareness that the hotel had mishandled the check in.

The rooms themselves are on the small side. Having the tv on the wall saves space and I think it's a good idea. The bedside stands don't have drawers-in fact, there are no drawers in the entire room. I'd prefer to put stuff away than to pile it up on a table. The "closet", which is a misnomer since it's just a space with hangers which doesn't close, was way too short for my dresses to hang inside. The bed, which is a platform style, was fine with us, but I really don't like the half-size pillows a lot of places use now. They're too small. The rooms themselves, and the hotel in general, is very high-concept in design-lots of bright bold colors in bars and bands. It's okay for a couple of days but it might get wearing after a while.

The toilet and shower are in the same room. It's really smarter to separate the two so both can be used at the same time. The sink is a bowl-type, which was fine, but it does result in a lot of splashing, which means that the mirror and wall have to be wiped down every day. The housekeepers must hate it. The toilet is a water-efficient one, which gets props from me. The shower was nice but the water pressure was weak. I really liked having soap and shampoo in wall dispensers in the shower-it's much more efficient than the little sample tubes. I guess people expect to be able to take those home, but I would be happy to see them in the bathroom as well. I didn't like the lotion but the bar of soap smelled lovely and washed off a lot better than the liquid soap in the shower.

There's a pool and exercise area, neither of which we used. The hotel also gets big props for free wi-fi, which every single hotel in the country should have. There is no restaurant or breakfast; instead, packaged foods and beverages are for sale. They all looked pretty unappealing and were pricey. We ended up going over to the Four Points for breakfast one morning when we were in a hurry. The Sunday brunch was $10 for eggs, sausage or bacon, potatoes, some delicious fresh fruit and stale pastry. I had to ask for toast. However, it was available at 6:30 am, and that's what we needed.

Finally, when we went to check out, we discovered that we had been overcharged for our room. I asked the clerk, Yolanda, to help us with this, and she was outstanding-professional, cheerful and efficient. It turned out that the original clerk we saw didn't bother to use our reservation that was in their computer; he just made up a figure. Yolanda promptly found out how to remedy the problem, so that we were refunded the difference on the spot. She was the best thing about our stay.

Never again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

I was being bumped from hotel to hotel due to the ash cloud from Iceland and lots of travelers stuck in the east. I had to get out of the hotel I had been in so I found a great deal on the aloft hotel, which is a very trendy hotel in many ways. I enjoyed the atmosphere, I liked the rooms. The bar was excellent, very friendly and lots of locals come to visit which is always a nod to the quality of the service. The front desk is very pleasant but confused. I think they are still quite a young brand, sister to W in many ways.

Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2010

Showing my age saying COOL but it was. Stayed on a Sunday evening so it was quiet but I could see how it would be crazy Monday-Saturday with the music and locals who pour in for the club atmosphere. Regardless I only have two minor notes:
1)The bed was uncomfortable. Wasn't just me- My 17 year old complained waaaay worse than me. 2) There is only one person at the front desk. Sheraton should remember customers don't like un-necessary waits. Or could it be the generation they are enticing is so used to slow customer service they don't even realize it to be so?
Oh AND....Wish someone at the hotel had told me the parking would be free if I brought voucher in to be stamped. No one did because the one person had to check in and answer the phone. $7 was on my bill when I checked out.

That aside, ALOFT is a beautiful, modern concept and a nice departure from typical Sheratons. The lobby area was nice. The outdoor area looked nice if the weather was better. Small pool but its fine for kids.
The nice thing about the ALOFT is it is part of a 3 Sheraton hotel complex thus you can walk to the other 2 to get dinner or casual fare if the Aloft's lobby fare doesn't suit you.
Lunch at the Four points was good. Dinner at the Sheraton Suites was fine if you are staying only a night or two. The food was good but menu is small so I think longer stays and you'd be bored with the food.
Overall, if you're into a really sleek, hip hotel this place is good for you.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2010

There are already plenty of previously written reviews about this hotel property, so let me share with you the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY about my 4-night stay at Aloft Philadelphia Airport.

The GOOD:
- Clean and modern decor, in common areas and in guest rooms, if you're into that sort of things
- 42" LCD TV in the room, with about a dozen HD channels (including Showtime)
- Free in-room wireless and wired internet
- Connectivity "hub" allows you to hook up iPod, laptop, DVD player, etc. to the LCD TV for big screen viewing (NICE!)
- Staff is very friendly
- Convenient location (5 min door-to-door to rental car drop; 15 min to downtown Philly)
- Walls are well insulated. My room is on 2nd floor, with one floor below me and one above, and other rooms on either side, yet I heard no noises even with the climate control off

The BAD:
- Internet is free, but not very fast (I clocked between 700-900kbps DN at different times of day and on different days)
- The cables for the connectivity hub is not in-room; you have to check it out from the front desk. They ran out on the first 2 nights I asked. Finally I got a laptop cable on the 3rd night
- Parking is free, but you have to get the ticket stamped at the front desk each time you get in. Why can't they just link the system to your room key card?
- There's only a stand-in shower, no tub. I traveled alone for business this time, but if I went with my family (with young children), I would not consider staying in a room without a tub

The UGLY
- All the staff members I interacted with are very friendly. However, there's always just ONE person working the front desk. You may end up waiting 5-10 minutes for a minor issue (like getting the parking ticket stamped -- see above)
- There's no good food options within walking distance, you'll have to get in the car/taxi and drive somewhere. There's no room service, no hotel restaurant, just a little self service snack bar with overpriced food/beverage items. There is a restaurant specializing in hamburgers in the adjacent Starwood property (Sheraton Suites) about 200 yards away, which I ate at one of the nights and had a decent meal, but I'd much prefer a bit more diversity

All in all, if Starwood can work out some of these kinks, this Aloft will be a great success.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank vetism
State College, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

Stayed at Aloft in Phila on 3/5. My experience was very disappointing.
Checked in around 9 pm Loud music was throbbing in the whole lobby area. Young crowd of people hanging around, shooting pool, at the bar etc. Check in took almost 20 minutes as there was one person at reception. The room was nice, reasonably new and clean. However, no info for guests on internet, iron and ironing board, etc. Had to print out boarding pass. Told to come to the lobby and use monitors near front desk that are there just for this purpose. Went downstairs and after 15 minutes it was clear none of the monitors worked (picture trying to work on a computer in a disco with low lights and pounding music).. There were six people in line at the front desk (again attended by one employee), so I couldn't get help there. I found two computers in another part of the lobby and tried to use them. Next to me on the other computer was a guy playing rap videos loudly,so now I am listening to loud disco and loud rap music at the same time after a long day on the road when all I wanted was to print out my boarding passes and go to bed (turned out the guy on the computer WASN'T a guest but the husband of the one women on duty at the front desk, reinforcing my impression that a lot of people hanging around were not guests). As my nerves frayed further I gave up on printing the passes and went back to my room for a nice shower.
Unfortunately, the "cool" bathroom was a disappointment as the shower drain was clogged which caused me to either stand in a three inch pool of backed up shower water (yuk) or straddle the shower stall at an awkward angle to stay out of the large puzzle.
This is definitely not the kind of experience busy travelers are looking for in an airport hotel.
Bad atmosphere, very bad service (why do companies spend millions building hotels and then have one person at the reception desk handling check ins, questions, problems, etc.?), bad maintenance.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2010

Booked for one night strictly off of reviews and the hotel theme. I'm from NYC and the whole "LOFT" idea intrigued me. Needless to say, my expectations were met! The hotel is extremely close to the airport. I cannot say much about the staff as I did not have any encounters with them during my brief stay. I was impressed with the simple but trendy decor. I love how the bathroom/shower was structured with the stylish door and unique layout. The soap and shampoo pump was a nice idea as well. The room and hallways were very clean. The big flat screen tv with a pretty wide selection of channels helped us out during out down time. The bed was very soft and good in size. The hotel isn't perfect but it's definitely worth the money spent. (about $110 usd after taxes.) One bummer is that the parking lot wasn't free. (I guess you can't have it all)
I'm actually considering the Aloft in NJ just to see the difference. I will definitely stay at Aloft PA Airport hotel again!
Hope this review helps.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philadelphia
Sheraton Suites Philadelphia Airport
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Hampton Inn Philadelphia-International Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Airport
The Clarion Hotel and Conference Center

Been to aloft Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!