“Great Location and a Tip about the high parking cost” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #40 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Woodmere, New York
“Great Location and a Tip about the high parking cost”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

We spent one night at the hotel touring some of the sites in Philadelphia. The hotel is great. It is a short walk to the major historical sites.
The complaint of many of the reviewers is the high cost of parking at the hotel (over $45.00 per day). We looked online and did a search for parking garages close to the hotel. We found one, Central Parking, two small blocks away, printed a coupon and paid $18.00 for 24 hours, tax included.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank MLK2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed there in Feb 2012. Our room was small but it had everything I needed. The location was excellent as it's mentioned in the name of the hotel. There are plenty restaurants nearby. Valet is expensive but that's nothing unusual given the location. Cab ride to the train station is short and inexpensive (around $10).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Marlboro, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

The location and room were great....it was clean, spacious, near a lot of great tourist locations and restaurants. However, once you turn off the light, the modem behind the TV blinks...all night.....non-stop.....I mentioned it to the staff who said they'd tell management, but since all my colleagues had the same issue, I suspect it's just something they have no intention of dealing with. As someone who has trouble sleeping, blinking lights are not something i can ignore.
One other comment - the wireless access was very pricey - about $14...and parking was $38. That brought my 'great rate' of $159 before taxes, to over $212! Not such a great deal anymore

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I travel quite a bit for work..My company always does an advanced authorization for my incidentals(parking, room service & internet). My first night stay was great decent room nice people & I loved that it was in close proximity to so many great places! I ordered room service for my dinner and everything was great!! The next morning I ordered room service for breakfast the waitress was nice but abruptly came back asking me to pay in cash. I told her no my company pays for it, so I asked her to come in while I called the front desk and let them explain. However the lady was rude, and made me feel like I was some kind of con-artist in an embarrassing way! The waitress then called her manager and she said that it was a mistake on the hotels end and apologized as did the waitress at the front desk lady's rudeness. I then called the front desk manager on duty and I immediately felt dumb for sharing my complaint... Upon checkout I still was irritated on how the lady handled it but I was going to let it go..A bellman named Ira asked how was my stay and I told him great besides the incident..He then encouraged me to speak with another manager. I spoke with Marie Hoegerle and she made me feel better and even took the breakfast off my bill. I appreciated them making me feel like my feelings mattered : )

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I absolutely HATE the fact that a relatively high-priced hotel in the downtown area of major cities, charge their patrons exorbitant amounts to park the car overnight. Geez, isn't it enough to pay for the cost of the room? Changing an extra $50 to park the car is really making one feel "taken." Unfortunately, I had no choice and had to use their parking facility and pay the extra money.
Other than that, this hotel is in a great location on Market Street... close to the Reading Terminal Market and the Convention Center. The rooms were clean and well cared for... and staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high level away from the elevators as it is less noisy.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I snagged a good rate for this hotel over the Memorial Day weekend, and was excited because Marriott's are typically very reliable. Other than some horrible room key malfunction in the hotel, I was not disappointed. Our room was recently updated, and was clean and contemporary, quiet and comfortable. The room was spacious and well-appointed, with plenty of floorspace and counterspace, and a very handy desk for eating snacks purchased at the Reading Terminal Market.

While we did not eat or drink in the hotel restaurants, they seemed trendy and appealing. One drawback is that (as usual these days) the in-room coffee maker only provided for one cup of caffeinated coffee (for 2 guests??), and the line at the in-lobby Starbucks was a mile long most of the early-mid morning. I understand they want the coffee business downstairs, but would it kill you to provide more coffee in the room?

As this seemed to be a very busy weekend at the hotel, the elevators were rather slow, especially during checkout times in the morning. However, the lines were never excessively long at the counter.

This hotel is great for tourists or conventioners, and is very convenient to the middle of Center City, including the Reading Terminal Market, Convention Center, City Hall, and Avenue of the Arts. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
New Hope, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

So first and foremost, this is your typical convention center hotel of overwhelming size, so if you're looking for intimate, I would recommend this particular Marriott. There are certainly lots of reasons to stay here though:
-Location: very centrally located, basically connected to the convention center, across from Reading Terminal and steps from great restaurants (especially those in Chinatown)
-Parking: besides valet (which was around $45 when we visited), there are many parking options in the area including a parking garage right across the street and an open lot right around the corner (both are about $10 cheaper than valet)
-Staff: I had a great experience from the moment we arrived which was when we pulled up to ask about valet. The guy we spoke with was very friendly, welcoming and even took the time to go over our other parking options if we didn't want to valet.
-Check-in was fast and hassle free
-Room was spacious

Some minor cons:
-The iron in the room was rusting so we called to get a new one. After waiting about 15 minutes, my husband finally tracked down a housekeeper to get us a new one...but that one was also rusting. We settled but are hoping that the hotel replaces the cheap irons they have.
-As mentioned at the beginning, this hotel is huge and can be a bit overwhelming. It's definitely a popular hotel for tourists too so if you're annoyed by large crowds, this might not be your place.

Overall, would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple