“Great Location!”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed here for the weekend. This location is unbelievably convenient to everything. Don't rent a car, take the train station from the airport to Market Street. When you walk out you are actually underneath the tower part of the hotel. You don't even have to go outside to access Marriott. I wished they had this listed on their website and since they don't, I'm sharing it with you. The train ride was $8/pp and took less time than it would have if we took a cab. Ask for the upgrade, it wasn't given automatically. We took the upgrade to the tower section. It was great, we had a huge bathroom, separate living room and big bed. More room than the 2 of us needed but it was great that we did. The hotel is in the middle of everything. Ross, Marshall's, Kmart, CVS, 7Eleven and much more all within a short walking distance. If you didn't bring it, you can find it. The service was great. This hotel is bigger than most. There is a large foyer on both sides of the hotel entrances. There is also a big bar in the center of the foyer. After 6pm, only over 21 allowed in there. This place fills up fast. There is no breakfast for Elite members but they did offer us an additional 2k points as well as the concierge level is not open on the weekends. The website did not list that. The website says that the concierge level was closed on Tuesdays so we were surprised to learn otherwise. You will still enjoy the stay and the convenience of everything around you.

Room Tip: If you have an opportunity for the tower room, take it. You are over the train station and convenien...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I had been planning this trip for my anniversary or a very long time. After a long night because of losing my wallet I had called to inform the front desk that I will be arriving without my ID they were able to help me so that I could check in with out any problems (which I very much appreciate). However when finally arriving to the property tired and frustrated, the check in process took about 10 mins for what reason I am not sure. I did not receive a warm welcome I was just asked for my credit card no eye contact was made and once I received the key I was quickly told where the elevators were. I felt like I was being rushed at 12:30am in the morning! The room was very nice beds comfortable. Location perfect right in the heart of downtown there was an option to self park for $36 for 24 hrs. When waking up the next morning exited to explore the city we went down to concierge to ask questions about the city and how to get to different places. Maureen again did not make much eye contact gave us a map and did not explain anything and seemed annoyed when we were asking questions. I was very disappointed and thank God the city and location of the hotel made up for my experience. I will not be recommending this property because of the horrible level of service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We had a suit so I'm hoping our room was the same as others in the hotel. We stayed a week for a conference and there were only a couple of things we'd wish were better. Room service missed cleaning the room one day but maybe we just didn't get out of the room early enough. The bedroom and bath were clean. We asked for extra towels and they were delivered in about 10 minutes, which was fast. The price was a little too high but at least we were next to the conference center. We didn't care much for the downtown scene at night. Because of the price, we probably won't stay there again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Prior to arrival, I experienced one the flaws of this hotel: unanswered phones, and was concerned about this stay since I am on crutches and need to get back and forth to an exhibit booth for a conference. All was forgiven once I experienced the excellent hospitality of Miss Edith, a house keeper on my floor. Although Edith was not responsible for my room, she went out of her way to get me a microwave which I needed for my heating packs. Thinking that no one could surpass her efficient concern, I was then amazed by Desi in the hotel's restaurant "13", who carried my buffet selections to my table since I was not able. The hotel infrastructure has some issues but the staff works to overcome those and succeeds!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

I conferenced at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown for three days and two nights. It is a convenient ten-minute ($10) cab ride from the 30th Street Amtrak Station. It is also across the street from the Terminal Market, SEPTA, the Convention Center, and downtown shopping.

My King room was spacious and pleasantly appointed. I utilized their new online check-in service and the gracious, helpful, and friendly staff happily accommodated my early check-in request. The conference room rate was more than reasonable and included "free" access to a well -equipped gym and a pool with no hot tub.The room also had a safe, also included in the room rate. I had a small issue with the safe, but the security staff was wonderful about fixing it.

The hotel is well-suited for business travelers. There is a Fed-Ex office with printing services in the hotel. I did not look at the business center, but in-room wired and wireless computer access was available for a fee. There are a variety of conference rooms of various sizes and they served us a nice buffet lunch at one of our meetings.

Wonderful eating options abound in the area. In the hotel is an American -style restaurant and bar, 13, and a Starbuck 's. Across the street, the Terminal Market (open until 6 pm) has a host of eateries including a variety of excellent small locally-managed sit-down restaurants and food kiosks. It also has bakeries, butcher shops, and delis. Also across the street is Maggiano's, a huge, excellent old-school Italian restaurant. Down the street from Maggiano's is an excellent fondue restaurant, The Melting Pot. There is a Chili's on the corner. The busy Hard Rock Cafe is around the corner.

Decent shopping is also within walking distance including various small grocery and drug stores, a Burlington Coat Factory, a Macy's, and a Marshall's.

All in all, this hotel is convenient and well-suited for the business traveler. I highly recommend this establishment.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My four nights recently at Philadelphia Marriott were great. The accommodations were top rate, the service excellent, and the meeting space comfortable. The location was perfect--so much to see and do within walking distance or a short cab ride.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This hotel is the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in. So much so that I am writing a review for the first time in my life. I was staying there for a major conference over a 7-day span. At check-in the front desk claimed they didn't have my credit card authorization form on file (even though I faxed ahead of time and called to make sure they had it on file). Luckily, I had a copy of it with me and the date it was faxed. The very rude manager Mark said it was no good and I would need to call my office and have it resent because part of it was filled out by hand instead of typed. WHAT!?!So my office faxed it again the next day but again the hotel said they didn't receive it. My office tried to call multiple people and never could reach anyone. Finally, she tried a different dept. and the fax was eventually retrieved after a long day of dealing with their rudeness. After that, I was sent up to my room (without any apology for the inconvenience) and found it to be a double. I had reserved a king six months in advance AND called to confirm that I had a king ahead of time. When I called the front desk to ask to switch to a king and said there had been a mistake, I was told the hotel was full, there were no king rooms left and that despite my reservation there was no indication that I had requested a king. To top it off she told me that all the king rooms were given away first come first serve to people who paid in full ahead of time. Again, WHAT!? I asked to speak to Mark the manager again and finally got a King room - but in a little whole next to the elevator where I was awake all night listening to it go up and down -it's a VERY busy conference hotel with people coming and going at all times. I didn't even bother to complain at this point - such a disappointing experience for a Marriott conference hotel. I didn't expect luxurious but I did expect some decent customer service. One day our room was supposedly cleaned but nothing was cleaned, no new towels, bathroom left as it was etc. And, now that I have returned home and looked at the credit card charges I noticed that they messed up the billing by charging all of my nights to my business card. The first night was to be charge to my personal card. And, believe me after the nightmare with the front desk I went to extensive lengths to make sure the billing was explained in detail before leaving. They gave me two separate folios, but both charged the same account. When i called just now to straighten it out, the person in billing was SO rude and never once apologized for their mistake. Hilarious if it wasn't so ridiculous! On top of it, it took her about 10 minutes just to be quiet long enough to actually listen to what I was telling her. I'm a communications professional so I speak in clear and concise sentences, well-organized - I wasn't speaking mumbo jumbo. Throughout all of this, I stayed remarkably "midwest polite." Just an unbelievable experience all the way around. I travel extensively and I have never experienced anything like this. If you stay at this hotel document everything, call 10 times before your stay to make sure they have your room (the correct room!) reserved and for the right dates. Inspect your folio at check-out and have them make changes at that time. Be prepared for the rudest experience you'll ever have!! If you can stay somewhere else, do it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business