“Frustrating experience”

Ranked #42 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
North Granby
“Frustrating experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

My husband and myself stayed over one evening for the marathon this past weekend. We drove from CT and the trip was uneventful, maybe even nice. We inquired about a late check out for the next day (marathon day) so my husband could return to the hotel for a quick shower. They said they were overbooked and could not accommodate us. My husband didn't think it would be a big deal, since he was hoping to run in under 4 hours and be back between 11am-12pm. The room was a little bit expensive for what you get. It is nothing fancy, however, I did like like the bed linens, and the bed itself was comfortable. The bathroom needed updating, and the light switch on the wall was severely crooked. There wasn't a continental breakfast, but another couple we know stayed at a boutique hotel several blocks away enjoyed a bountiful continental breakfast, fresh cold water with fruit in it, fresh fruit available all day and the room was much larger, including a very updated bathroom. Their hotel charged less for parking, and the total bill was about $20 less than ours. On the morning of the marathon, while he was running it, I inquired again about the shower. The front desk staff, by the way, are terribly cranky and said no again. They were sarcastic and said they have alot of marathoners. By the way, I did ask two different personnel about this request. Both were not customer service oriented. Anyway, I did pack up our belongings and store in the car, and he was able to clean up at our friends' hotel which allowed a 1:30pm check out for their convenience. I didn't comment to anyone their about their attitudes, but my friend who also was waiting for a runner thought they were not accommodating to their guests at all. She stood right next to me. No problem, plenty of other hotels to choose from in the area next time we visit. Oh, the restrooms to the left as you enter the hotel were limited (not many stalls) and needed cleaning... desperately....

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
DF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice, once for a conference and once with my family. Both times I had exceptional service, clean rooms, great view and best of all, the hotel connects to a mall so on cold, windy days you can walk almost to the Liberty Bell inside. Two staff members went out of their way to make our stay memorable, Mr. Arpea and the woman who provides service for lost items. I thought I had lost my ring, they turned the place up-side down looking for it, only later did I find it slipped into inner lining of my suitcase. Everyone was extremely professional and friendly. Side note, if you are traveling with children, the pool is freeeeeeezing (@ least in the winter) so don't count on this as a kids activity.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Montague
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Thank you to the housekeeping staff and to those who delivered room service. You all went out of your way to make me comfortable while I was sick during my stay. I deeply appreciate that. The hotel was very close to the convention center. The bed was very comfortable. A reception suite I used for business was lovely and I received many compliments from the attendees. The restaurant was okay. Overall, the feel is of a big convention hotel, a bit dated and maybe over priced. But the staff were so kind and thoughtful, I would return and would recommend to my friends and colleagues.

Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I was here for 2 nights on business. My room was clean and comfortable, and I thought the service at the hotel was fine. It was quite pricey overall though -- even with a conference rate, the daily parking fee and taxes increased the bill substantially. The great thing is that the hotel is right next door to great restaurants and the endless choices in the Reading Terminal Market, which is literally a stone's throw from the hotel. If you aren't familar with the city though -which I wasn't -- it was very tricky because your GPS will tell you how to get to the hotel's street address but not to the street where you park. It was frustrating to circle around with no idea of where I was supposed to park. My only other complaint is no free wi-fi in the rooms...there was free wi-fi only in the lobby.

Wallkill, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

The hotel was large; however, staff members were friendly and eagerly answered questions. The hotel is in a great location. When traveling from the airport just hop on a train to Market Street and follow the signs. Our room was clean and spacious. If I were to visit Philly again I woulld stay at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here a few times and there are also some other Marriott options across the street including a Courtyard and a Residence Inn, but this hotel is by far the nicest. While it isnt in the greatest area, its still a nice hotel if you are looking to be close to City Center. Very nice rooms and close to shipping and right across from Reading Terminal. Most of the better Philly restaurants arent that close, probably a 10-15 minute walk but its still right by alot of great places. Loews Philly is across the street and market Street MMall is right next door.

Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Recently stayed while attending a function at the Convention center. Very convenient for that purpose. Pretty expensive. Valet parking was $48.00 per night as the garage was full for self park. Restaurant in hotel was pretty poor. Not recommended. There are much better choices in walking distance. Bell service was exceptional and what I would expect from a first rate hotel. But be ready for a hearty bill on check out

Room Tip: Ask for the Towers. Larger rooms away from the crowd,but close to the Convention Center entrance