“great hotel”

Ranked #40 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
New York
“great hotel”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

just returned from a great weekend the hotel is perfect and located near everything only drawback was the view i requested was high up but looked at an office building when i called down was told there was no other rooms accross the hall were two empty rooms with great views but this is no big deal as did not spend much time in the hotel parking is almost as costly as the room but this is what you get in any city will return again

Room Tip: my room was big clean and somewhat new nothing you can do except ask for what you want
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The sole purpose of my visit to Philadelphia was to attend the Auto Show. The Philadelphia Marriott Downtown has a walkway that connects the hotel to the convention center making attendance of the Show very convenient. The staff was very friendly. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The cons: I stayed at the hotel for two nights. My sleep was disturbed one of the nights due to people walking around and talking as they passed by my room at 2am (lasted at least an hour). It probably isn't the hotel's fault for a loud group of people, but it still left for an unpleasant experience. Additionally, I thought the decor of the hotel and rooms were a outdated. And, they don't have a free business center. They consider the FedEx on the ground floor as their business center.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Randy A, Manager at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay, the hotel’s great location and the friendliness of our staff. I would like to apologize for the noise disturbance caused by other guests being too loud in the corridors. Your feedback is vital in our continued effort to improve our guests’ overall experience. We appreciate your business and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Waterford, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The location of this hotel is the only good thing about it. It is connected to the convention center which is a plus in the winter and the location next to the Reading Terminal Market are the only two advantageous things to mention about this hotel. Even if you don't think you are next to a lift shaft it is likely there will be one across the hall from you and it runs constantly every night, all through the night as service personell are up and down all the time. Also take a shower before you arrive as the water pressure is so low at this property that you cannot take a proper shower. The pool is tiny and dingy. The on property restaurant has a clueless Maitre Di, so make sure you eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor to be above the night time street noises
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sunsnowfamily
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your review on TripAdvisor! We greatly appreciate the feedback both positive and negative. Please accept my apologies for the noisy room, low water pressure and "clueless" Maitre d'. We only wish that we were able to address the issues while you were here. We strive to deliver the best that our customers like you deserve and expect but obviously failed in your case. Please feel free to contact me directly should your travels bring you back to Philadelphia and our hotel so that I can personally handle your reservation to ensure that it exceeds your expectations. I can be reach at (215) 625-6030.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 February 2014

These days, the only thing worse than being "corporate" is being "political", and this hotel leaves you feeling the sting of both. However, that feeling is surprisingly easy to swallow.

The hotel is a de facto extension of Philadelphia's convention center (the pet project of every local politician) and the results show. When you walk in, it becomes obvious that a lot of money went into this hotel. The grandiose lobby and overabundance of restaurants and meeting places can actually feel a bit overwhelming. At the same time, this excess creates an exciting micro-environment that's typically only seen in Las Vegas casinos.

The rooms are kept up-to-date and very comfortable. Being a high-rise, you can get a great view if you're lucky enough to get a high floor. The one drawback is that our "blackout shades" didn't extend all the way to the wall; leaving a channel for sunlight to pervade. Our room faced towards the north, and it was still obnoxiously bright shortly after sunrise (even with the shades drawn).

I got the room at an extremely reasonable rate on Priceline; and the value for the money was unquestionable. However, I noticed that their asking-price can be a bit high. I would recommend the hotel in a heartbeat if you can get a good rate, but it is not worth a super-high premium.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 February 2014

What a disappointing hotel. The lobby was dark & dirty. Our room was small, unimaginative and basic with a bathroom. Not a nice bathroom, not a spectacular bathroom...just a bathroom. The front desk made a bid deal of 'giving' us a upper floor room with a view. The view of a parking garage? Or the folks doing drugs on the roof? We couldn't wait to leave.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors. Make sure if you're there while there's a dance team, g...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay at our hotel. We were sorry to hear of your disappointment in the hotel and our guest rooms. We will be utilizing your comments in our continuous efforts to improve our product and service. Thank you again for your time and consideration. We appreciate your business and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 February 2014

After my last trip to a Marriott was less than inspiring, I was hoping for better this time around. And as far as the cleanliness of the hotel goes and the conference presentation rooms, I was happy to see it was far better than the last Marriott my conference visited. I cannot stress enough how well maintained the hotel is in the conference levels and lobby. Nor can I stress enough, other than at checkout, how friendly and eager to help the staff was. The housekeeping staff, would always greet you if you passed them in the hall, putting to shame most customer service businesses I've ever been in. With all these good points, it saddens me that I had to give this three stars.

Unfortunately, now I have to go into the negatives. When I arrived, I told the person at the desk who checked me in that I would be splitting the bill with my conference roommate, who would arrive the next day. The man checking me in informed me that would be no problem. My roommate checked in the next day and tried to give them his card, so it would be easier to split the bill, but the staff refused to take it. This resulted in me nearly missing my Amtrak train at checkout this morning, as an extremely rude woman informed me that the whole four days would be on my card, because my roommate had not given them a card. I had to call him down, was nearly ejected from the line, and then have the hotel realize it was their fault that they apparently can't split a bill competently like every other hotel I've ever stayed in has been capable of (including other Marriott locations). I've never been treated so rudely by a member of a hotel staff as I was at my checkout this morning.

Other issues that arose were plentiful. After my initial check in, I went to the room and put down my bags on the bed. The room itself was spacious, exactly as advertised, had a wonderful view of downtown, and seemed to be well cleaned. At least until I pulled out the chair by the desk to set up my laptop and found lipstick and an empty key card holder from the previous guest. I was a bit disgusted by this, but could understand, as a chair probably isn't a normal place to look for things. Plus the housekeeping staff did a great job otherwise during the course of my stay, and as noted earlier, was friendly.

I turned on the water in the bathroom to pour a glass and found that it wasn't clear...as in, it was a milky white instead of clear. I've attached photos of the water; this resulted in my spending a small fortune in the gift shop on bottled water. Something negative that doesn't fit elsewhere is sleep quality; the noise level was incredible on my level, from people in the room next to mine as well as in the hallway.

To end the review, a few more positive things. The curbside staff act like a well oiled machine. These men and women keep an incredible amount of valet and taxi traffic flowing in an almost organic manner. I never had to wait more than a minute to get in a taxi, something that can rarely be said at one of these conferences. The keycards used are not the standard swipe version, but rather a microchip (or so I believe) that is held up to doors, as well as the elevators to the guest levels; this kept people who weren't checked in from randomly wandering the halls. The hotel is centrally located in downtown Philadelphia, with Reading Terminal Market directly across the street, which offers a wide variety of food, so affordable eating is always nearby.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Randy A, Manager at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay, the hotel’s great location and the overall friendliness of most of the staff. I would like to apologize for our front desk staff’s inability to correctly set-up the room billing and for the cloudy water. The billing issue has been addressed so that others do not experience the same check out delay or rude treatment. As for the water, the cloudiness was caused by air in the line; a result of a recent repair to our domestic water supply. My apologies for the extra expense you had to incur because of this. Thank you again for your time and consideration, we appreciate your business and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Decent rooms for a city hotel. Right in the middle of downtown made for easy access to everything. Concierge level has tons of food. Views from rooms are not so good. Usually get some view of a portion of the roof. The lobby is huge and pretty.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family