“Comfortable”

Ranked #42 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
London, United Kingdom
“Comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed here four years ago, so were curious to find out whether any previous short comings had be rectified. We were on the 18th floor overlooking the Reading Terminal. The room was spacious and quiet. We weren't distrubed by traffic noise like last time when the room over looked Market Street. We also saw sunrise over the Delaware River which was a bonus.

The room seeme to have been refurbished as it didn't look as tired as last time. But there was still no fridge. We remember there was no kettle in the room and brought our own. I do wish they would get rid of the nasty paper cups. The bed was very nice and comfy and the quality of sleep was good. The television has been upgraded to a flat screen tele, so that was great.

We had breakfast in Thirteen. The portions were big, as expected, but we found the buffet to be a better choice - you can choose what to eat and you can also control the quantity. Service at breakfast time was ok, but the waitresses did looked a bit overwhelmed when it got busy.

The gym was well equipped, although a little on the small side. The pool was narrow and it only take four people in at the same time to make it feel crowded.

Hotel staff was general good. I was welcomed when I entered the hotel on two occasions. But as the convention got underway and the lobby got busier, guests became increasingly invisible. I felt that the chap who checked me in was the only one genuinely friendly. The others were efficient and answered my queries professionally but I wouldn't say they were especially welcoming.

All in all, it was a comforatble stay. The location is good and I am happy to come back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Reading Terminus. It will be quieter.
2 Thank Pibochen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Efficient staff, geared to business users but helpful and friendly towards a couple of tourists. Washing facilities very clean, convenient and cheap. Room clean, warm and welcoming. Restaurant reasonable and close to Reading Terminal Market - a must see

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Richard G
SF Bay area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel during our week-long trip to tour East Coast colleges. I could not have been more pleased by this hotel. Not only was our room absolutely perfect, with comfortable beds, a quiet room, and a terrific, convenient location but we had some of the best customer service I've ever experienced from hotel staff (and I'm a travel agent, so I see a lot of hotels!). Each and EVERY staff member I encountered was exceedingly pleasant and helpful.

My daughter was not feeling well enough to go on the day's tour of Drexel, and our train did not depart town until late in the afternoon, so Marriott gave us an unbelievably late check out to accommmodate our travel schedule so she could stay in bed and rest. It was such a relief to be able to let my child remain quiet and comfortable in bed as long as possible to help her recover.

The location is so convenient to public transportation, including the airport, as well as being well located downtown, I would recommend this property very enthusiastically and will be back when my travels bring me back to Philadelphia.

The hotel pool is long enough to swim laps (a very unusual feature), and there's also a convenient guest laundry, which was also a necessary component of our stay.

BIG thumbs up for this property!

Room Tip: Avoid getting a room near the ice machines; they can be noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mkraemer
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

2nd time staying at the hotel was for the Philadelphia Half marathon in November 2013. I had stayed here in July on a personal trip and was impressed so I came back. Even with the hotel completely booked the customer service was excellent. They had my room ready very early and were able to offer me late checkout.The hotel itself is built above a major transit hub and is connected to the convention center and Reading Market. You can reach all three without stepping outside! The hotel is also right by City Hall so it is a walking distance to everything. I will be staying with them in November 2014 for the Philadelphia Marathon.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jetsfan101703
Provo, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

This hotel couldn't be in a better location. So close to many of the sights - it seemed like the hotel was centrally located to most things we wanted to visit. A don't miss - go next door to the Reading Terminal Market - just below the transportation station. The terminal market is where the locals and the tourists eat. It is an indoor market full of food and shopping kiosks. Had some of the most amazing foods there compared with some of the fancy expensive restaurants. Enjoyed what the market had to offer much more. Had some of the best cheesesteak sandwiches at the Market - as opposed to the couple of tourist traps. In fact, several locales said don't go to the tourist traps that sell cheesesteak sandwiches. A little on the hotel - it's a basic downtown Marriott - decent and clean.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Marty375
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

The room's were small, the walls are paper thin, the view was horrible, the service was even worst, the bathroom was old and outdated, (but they did upgrade the sink area THATS IT!) the shower floor looked liked it never been cleaned, and I would have thought by this being a Marriott hotel especially downtown that it would have been nicer. Paid $250 to stay at this horrible hotel. I was so pissed when I got to the room, I will not be returning here. The staff were completely clueless about the restaurants in the area and the room service menu (we didn't have one and they never brought one up after I said we don't have one). Parking was convenient but over priced and the room service was decent but I could have saved my money.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ElleFountaine
Randy A, Manager at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay. We are only sorry to hear that your experience was not a good one. I would like the opportunity to make some corrections in our processes and have the ability to make it up to you, so if you like, could you please forward your room number and dates of stay to randy.arpea@marriott.com. I look forward to the opportunity to respond to you personally.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Large, but ok Marriott hotel. Good location on Market Street, especially for the part beyond City Hall and towards Rittenhouse Sq. The part to independence Sq. is not very nice...
We stayed for one night in mid March in a twin double. Good room size, but the beds are very high. I'm 5ft10 and had troubles climbing into the bed... Nice bathroom with all the amenities you could expect. BUT... When should Marriott and the American hotel chains alike understand that complimentary WiFi is a must? I certainly refuse to pay for something like that. If you walk across the street to Macy's - they've got free WiFi. As European, I also prefer complimentary breakfast. But perhaps - that's just me...

1 Thank travelagent12345
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us. We appreciate the opportunity to benefit from your feedback. Please accept our apologies for the difficulty you had with the height of the bed and your disappointment in having to pay for WIFI. We will use your feedback in our efforts to improve our product and service. Thank you again for your time and consideration. We hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown