“Nothing really special but great location”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights. Location great-across from the reading market and close to the beautiful city hall . We could walk to the avenue of the arts and to the amazing Barnes museum. The lobby is lovely. The halls were like a maze and not particularly well appointed.!The room was fine-unfortunately no cool shot on the hair dryer so I guess I will have to start packing my own...

• Stayed: April 2014
Randy A, Manager at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay and our great location. We are only sorry to hear that the rest of your experience was not as good; and for that we are sorry. We appreciate your business and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel really exemplifies the defintion of what a Marriott should stand for. When I entered the property I was transported a beautifully designed lobby with awesome decor all around. The check-in experience was awesome and I felt like I was a VIP for the night. The room was beautifully appointed with 2 decent sized double beds, huge desk area and ample amount of lighting. This hotel will now be the first choice when I have to stay in Philadelphia and I will tell everyone about my fantastic stay. Keep up the great work Marriott!!

Room Tip: High floor gives a beautiful view of Center City
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2014

It's well-located and reasonably comfortable, but too many weird things happened during my stay to give it any sort of positive review. To-wit: (1) My colleague, with whom I was travelling, booked two rooms on separate itineraries. They reserved three on one and none on the other -- meaning I was, at check-in, without a room. (2) So they find me a room, and I put my key in the slot, opened the door, and discovered -- that the room was occupied, lights on, women's clothes and purse on the bed, never saw her (she may have been in the bathroom). Holy you-know-what. So I exited ASAP, hopefully quietly. (3) I get a new room. Large suite, in fact. But with only a Murphy bed? Seriously? (4) At checkout time, I discover that the rather exorbitant valet parking charge of $40 has been applied both to my room and my colleague's room. One car. I have to believe that none of this was SOP, but the fact that any of these took place at all (especially (2) above -- what if she had a gun?) is rather alarming.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank jakester88
Randy A, Manager at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay. We are only sorry to hear that your experience was not a good one. I would like the opportunity to make some corrections in our processes and have the ability to make it up to you, so if you like, could you please forward your name, room number and dates of stay to randy.arpea@marriott.com. I look forward to the opportunity to respond to you personally.

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Apparently it this city's policy to do roadwork - including jack hammering, and use of heavy equipment - in the overnight hours. I needed a good night's sleep, but was awakened at 2:20am by roadwork right outside my room that went on until 3:50. Thanks philly. Feelin the love.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Pegkip

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay. I would like to apologize for the city’s work being performed outside of our hotel and for your unrestful night’s sleep. We strive to provide an excellent experience for our all guest, and are sorry that we failed you. We do appreciate your business and look forward to an opportunity of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

From start to finish this hotel was amazing. Large well furnished rooms, comfortable beds and very helpful staff, you couldnt ask for more at such a great price. They really excelled themselves at the end, unfortunately I had my wallet stolen about 20 minutes before heading to the airport. I was left with no cash or cards, luckily I did still have my passport. With no money to pay the shuttle bus or get the train to the airport, the desk staff arranged for the hotel car to take me, free of charge, to the airport. This shows their commitment to customer care and I will definatrly be returning again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank jmmcmanu
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is a large hotel located conveniently to the Convention Center, right across the street from the Reading Terminal Market, and within walking distance to great restaurants and shops. Other than the convenience, the hotel was a disappointment. The plumbing is old; the toilet took a couple of flushes to empty, and the bathtub filled with several inches of water during a normal shower. Engineering staff was dispatched to fix the slow tub drain, but there was no noticeable improvement. There are no vent fans in the bathrooms, so it filled with steam that took a while to clear. The climate control wasn't efficient or effective. The housekeeping staff did not refill the amenities (shampoo, lotion, soap) or the coffee/tea service. The lobby restaurant was horribly slow and expensive, and I sent my meal back because it was undercooked. All in all, for the price, this was a poor hotel.

Room Tip: Try another hotel?
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DentoDiner
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent experience at our hotel. We appreciate the opportunity to benefit from your feedback. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the maintenance, cleanliness and service issues you outlined; your room and restaurant experience were definitely not up to our usual high standards. Your feedback will be used to help us moving forward. Thank you again for your time and consideration and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown.

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

This is a huge Marriott next to the convention center. It can be loud and very crowded in the lobby area. The front desk and front lobby staff were great. The rest of the service was extremely slow. Housekeeping was sloppy at best. Lots of good restaurants in walking distance. The location was great.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business