“Average Marriott”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #42 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is an enormous convention hotel. It is convenient for a conference at the convention center but would not be my choice for a sightseeing trip. Overall service was poor for a Marriott hotel in this price range.

Pros: skybridge connection to the convention center and train/subway station
Comfortable bed
Generally clean, although there was a used glass in the bathroom when I arrived
Starbucks in the lobby
Cons: service was almost uniformly impersonal and unenthusiastic
maintenance problems with the room
The concierge lounge was average at best and had very small coffee cups

1  Thank cleste01
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent experience at our hotel. I would like to apologize for the maintenance and cleanliness issues you outlined. We were sorry to hear that you found our staff to be impersonal and unenthusiastic. Your feedback will be used to help us moving forward to provide a clean room with everything in working order as well as improving our service. Thank you again for your time and consideration. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,366)

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Grand hotel in centre location - valet parking expensive but easy - room not ready until 3 which is unusual but fine for us - large clean comfortable rooms - no robes ? Air con etc all good - facilities we didnt need like gym areva bonus

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This hotel is a gem, we decided to take a couple days to do a little sightseeing and taste some of Philly's best restaurants and this hotel is in the heart of it all....From check in to check out process was flawless. Renee at the front desk was so attentive to our needs and the whole staff from housekeeping to Management, very very friendly. I had requested early check in and a quiet room, all made possible no problem. Our room was a corner room on the 18th floor overlooking the William Penn statue, just a beautiful view. I highly recommend this hotel, we will be back again real soon.

Room Tip: Higher up floors are the quiet area. Request a corner room they are bigger.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here a few times in the last five years and even though it is clean and comfortable it is just too big for me. It has facilities, but if you are at the wrong end of the hotel, you just won't bother. It is also not the best location - a bit further from the shops if that's your evening entertainment!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Althea D
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you so very much for your review. We appreciate your taking the time to post your comments and were sorry to hear that you found us to be too big. We do have another tower in the hotel which may be more comfortable for you. Please contact me if your travels bring you back to Philadelphia so I can make sure you receive more comfortable accommodations. We hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Overall, the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown provided an excellent business stay. From check-in to check-out, the staff that I interacted with where helpful, genuine, and individually interested in helping out guests in any way they could. The room was up to the standards of a Marriott room, which is not bad at all, it hit the expectations of cleanliness and space. I was in one of the recently(ish) renovated rooms, so even for an older hotel, the appointments were great. And as for the cloudy water issue in previous posts, it appears that has been resolved. I couldn't reproduce it. From the bellman at the exit quickly getting taxis for me in the morning, to the front desk managers purposefully walking throughout the lounge to greet folks, wish guests a pleasant day/stay, and help field requests, it indicated to me that staff are genuinely trying their best to help. Sean in the Circle restaurant even asked the chef if I could get something off the regular menu after the late night menu had gone into affect. As for amenities, the pool area is great for a quick cool-off from two warm spring days, and the concierge lounge was always fully stocked with everything I needed, even when completely full on a Friday morning. I don't need to mention the location, you can't get more central in town. All things considered, a completely satisfying visit, and to me, they really seemed to be trying.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you so very much for your positive review. We appreciate your taking the time to post your comments and were pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. We hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Road Warriors appreciate outstanding hospitality and the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown provided just that during this extended stay! The hotel property is in heart of City Center located next to the Convention Center as well as Reading Terminal Market and City Hall. This large city hotel has been well kept with well appointed rooms, comfortable bedding with luxury sheets/duvet, along with a great working desk. I arrived to the hotel to pick up my room key having done mobile check-in. As Marriott Platinum guest I was upgraded to the Concierge Floor top floor. My room was well cleaned which is always appreciated by attentive housekeeping staff. The Concierge Lounge which I had access to morning and evening food, drink is among one of the best I have experienced in my travels. It is a large space well appointed with tables, seating areas, counters with benches etc. It featured a wonderful food choices in both the morning and evening, and what

Room Tip: Request high floor to avoid traffic/road noise
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so very much for taking the time to let us know about your stay at our hotel. We always enjoy hearing from our guests, particularly when we have exceeded their expectations. Your comments will be shared with the hotel staff.

Again, thank you for your kind remarks and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. It was only for one night...room service was great. Quick and delicious. The beds were so comfy and the bathroom was clean. Very big hotel, with some great views and an awesome location. It's in the middle of everything! Has a beautiful and modern interior and exterior. Within walking distance of some awesome restaurants and has a Starbucks on sight...that's always a plus.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business